Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What is your level of use of CAT tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 25, 2005

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your level of use of CAT tools?".

This poll was originally submitted by Elías Sauza

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your level of use of CAT tools?".

This poll was originally submitted by Elías Sauza

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Fahamidur Rahman

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:23
Spanish to English
CAT tools Nov 26, 2005

I bought Wordfast recently in the hope that it might help me in my work, but 95% of my translation jobs are in photographed pdf or xls. format, so I hardly ever get to use it, and when I do get a job that I could use it for, it is too slow for me (being a beginner).

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
New version of previous poll Nov 26, 2005

This is -maybe- an updated version of a poll made two months ago: http://www.proz.com/?sp=polls&sp_mode=past&action=results&poll_id=321
It would be useful - I think - to go back to it, analyse and compare results.
Debate was at http://www.proz.com/topic/37365
... See more
This is -maybe- an updated version of a poll made two months ago: http://www.proz.com/?sp=polls&sp_mode=past&action=results&poll_id=321
It would be useful - I think - to go back to it, analyse and compare results.
Debate was at http://www.proz.com/topic/37365

Walter
Collapse

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 22:23
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Interested but haven't used them Nov 27, 2005

Actually I am interested in using these tools, but until now I haven't used them. Maybe later.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Any advice on getting started? Nov 28, 2005

marki wrote:

Actually I am interested in using these tools, but until now I haven't used them. Maybe later.

I agree, Marki. I want to get started but am bewildered by the choices. Does anyone have any good advice on what CAT tool to buy first, which is/are most useful, is there any way to "ease in" without a commitment to a couple of months of working full time just to learn to use the tools?

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
You don't need to invest money to get started Nov 28, 2005

You can try the free version of Wordfast, for instance. It is compatible with Trados, and would help you get started with Word-based CAT tools.

All info can be found here: www.wordfast.net

Good luck!

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Xola! Nov 28, 2005

Thank you, I'll check it out! Do you mean that if I learn to use Wordfast, I'll still need Trados? I don't understand what the different programs do, though I get the basic idea of glossaries and of matching sentences to the memory.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
For Word jobs, they do the same thing Nov 28, 2005

Hi Jane,

As long as you work on a Word file, they are fully compatible, they have the same functions, that is. What Trados can do and Wordfast can't is helping you translate HTML files. Trados has the TagEditor feature for that which Wordfast doesn't have.

I really recommend you download the free version of WF and give it a try. It's easy and user-friendly, and has a very neat manual for beginners (I cannot say the same for Trados manual). There is no need to invest hun
... See more
Hi Jane,

As long as you work on a Word file, they are fully compatible, they have the same functions, that is. What Trados can do and Wordfast can't is helping you translate HTML files. Trados has the TagEditor feature for that which Wordfast doesn't have.

I really recommend you download the free version of WF and give it a try. It's easy and user-friendly, and has a very neat manual for beginners (I cannot say the same for Trados manual). There is no need to invest hundreds of dollars before even getting your feet wet. And, I suppose other CAT tools have free trials, as well. You can check them, too, on the internet and here on Proz forums.

JaneTranslates wrote:

Thank you, I'll check it out! Do you mean that if I learn to use Wordfast, I'll still need Trados? I don't understand what the different programs do, though I get the basic idea of glossaries and of matching sentences to the memory.
Collapse

skazakis
skazakis  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:23
English to Greek
+ ...
Surprised Nov 28, 2005

I am surprised with the percentage of "I don't use CAT Tools"!!! I have been using them for more than 5 years now (started with Star Transit and now using Wordfast) and my life has become SOOOOOOO much easier... This is probably the most efficient and useful productivity tool for a translator. Even online dictionaries are not as useful IMHO.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You have to know what CATS are good for ... Nov 28, 2005

I was converted when I tried out an early version of Deja-vu on a cookery book.

It placed all the figures neatly in similar, but not identical segments that would have been very tedious to type in separately or 'cut and paste' and then re-do the figures.

Bake xx minutes at the centre of the oven at yyy degrees centigrade, zzz degrees Fahrenheit, for instance ... and all the lists of ingredients, calculations of fat, carb. and protein contents per serving etc. etc.
... See more
I was converted when I tried out an early version of Deja-vu on a cookery book.

It placed all the figures neatly in similar, but not identical segments that would have been very tedious to type in separately or 'cut and paste' and then re-do the figures.

Bake xx minutes at the centre of the oven at yyy degrees centigrade, zzz degrees Fahrenheit, for instance ... and all the lists of ingredients, calculations of fat, carb. and protein contents per serving etc. etc.

On other occasions Trados simply slows down proof reading and corrections, and by splitting a text into segments it tends to make a flowing text sound choppy. (So you revise even more...)

Don't let agencies bully you into using it or any other CAT where it does not give an advantage, and if they insist because they want you to build up a concordance etc. then don't let them press rates unless you really save a lot of time.

Setting up a CAT and learning to use it, keeping the TMS up to date and so on will also take up a lot of time that is not spent directly translating. Remember to charge for that too when you delightedly send off your 20,000-word job that has only taken 20 hours of direct translation work. Add an hour or two for background work or put your word rates up to cover it.

You still have to proof read all those repetitions, or else refuse to take any responsibility for them WHATSOEVER if the client won't pay for proofing. CATs do not replace an intelligent translator. They are a great help, but they cannot stand alone.

Have fun ...
Collapse

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Use Abby FineReader for .pdf Nov 28, 2005

David Brown wrote:

I bought Wordfast recently in the hope that it might help me in my work, but 95% of my translation jobs are in photographed pdf or xls. format, so I hardly ever get to use it, and when I do get a job that I could use it for, it is too slow for me (being a beginner).

Hi,

just use Abby FineReader for .pdf files. It is an OCR software and it does an excelent job.

Why do you claim, that you can't use WF for Excel files? Read the manual of WF, and translate .xls directly. What I prefere is, that I copy from Excel in Word table, translate, clean-up and copy back.
It is not always possible with very complex Excel files (comments etc.).

[Edited at 2005-11-28 09:26]

[Edited at 2005-11-28 09:27]

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
English to Polish
Linux user Nov 28, 2005

As a Linux OS user I don't have much choice for CAT tools, but OmegaT helps enough and it's free Yet I'm still learning to use its full capabilities.

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
What about WordPerfect? Nov 28, 2005

Do any of the CATs function with WordPerfect? I have to use Word for many of my clients, but I vastly prefer WordPerfect.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Sakis... Nov 28, 2005

Sakis Kazakis wrote:

I am surprised with the percentage of "I don't use CAT Tools"!!! I have been using them for more than 5 years now (started with Star Transit and now using Wordfast) and my life has become SOOOOOOO much easier... This is probably the most efficient and useful productivity tool for a translator. Even online dictionaries are not as useful IMHO.

I think the poll only shows that the highest percentage of people who answer ProZ polls don't use CAT tools...!

The rest of us are too busy translating (with our CAT tools).

(C:

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Answer to be disregarded. Nov 28, 2005

sylvie malich wrote:

I think the poll only shows that the highest percentage of people who answer ProZ polls don't use CAT tools...!

The rest of us are too busy translating (with our CAT tools).

(C:

I think this is a very arrogant and presumtuous answer. It does not even qualify to be here.

Walter

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your level of use of CAT tools?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »