fr54ert
fr54ert
Local time: 00:00
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed-for example Ireland Sep 7, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

fr54ert wrote:
petrak3 wrote:
About this registering requirement... Are any of you registered for these purposes in any other country where your client resides?

I am sure this is a misunderstanding. We were simply referring to being registered in VIES. This has nothing to do with translations but with your business structure. Its about getting a valid EU-VAT number.

There are situations in which even EU businesses or freelancers have to register in the country of the client, but I'm not sure if this applies to translators.

Saumel is right. For example, in Ireland with a turnover of 10k € or more.

[Edited at 2023-09-07 05:29 GMT]

fr54ert
fr54ert
TOPIC STARTER
Further details Sep 7, 2023

RobinB wrote:

Just as a matter of record, there is one exception to the "no-VAT rule". If your business is in a third (non-EU) country and you sell goods or services to customers in the EU who DON'T have a VAT number (mostly retail clients, but also some government agencies), you will have to register your business for VAT with the national tax authority of one (i.e. any) EU member state (I chose Ireland because registering and paying VAT is exceptionally easy). One of my clients is a government authority in an EU member state, and I have to charge them VAT at the national rate. They pay it to me, and I remit it to the Irish tax authority (Revenue) once a quarter. I can even pay by credit card (that's how easy it is).

As the UK is also now a "third country", translators who sell translations to these clients in the EU must also register for VAT (as a "one-stop shop"). It doesn't actually cost anything, just takes about 20 minutes a quarter to file and pay.

Robin

Hi Robin, could you elaborate further? Are you referring to the EU OSS? I thought this only applies to e-commerce related business activities, but really did not look into it as I left the UK before they became a third country.

As a general comment, Vat-exempt only applies to B2B with both the service provider and the client having a valid EU VAT number.

petrak3
petrak3  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
USA? Sep 7, 2023

What about the USA? What is your experience? Third country so no VAT, no registration there?

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:00
German to English
USA Sep 9, 2023

petrak3 wrote:

What about the USA? What is your experience? Third country so no VAT, no registration there?

If your client is in the USA, there's no VAT and no need to register in the USA. However, the US client will probably send you a form (normally W8-BEN) to complete and return to avoid being taxed in the USA.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT or no VAT? Client in Norway

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »