asker has not graded a question - any action possible?
Auteur du fil: USER00230 (X)
USER00230 (X)
USER00230 (X)
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 17:34
allemand vers anglais
Aug 2, 2005

I currently have 2 kudoz answers ungraded after more than a week. since I put a bit of effort into answering them, this is irritating. is there any way of getting the asker to grade them? I believe the robot swings into action after a while - can someone explain how that works? Otherwise I would suggest a system-generated email after a certain time, 3 days or whatever, reminding the asker to grade or close the question.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:34
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
That already exists. Aug 2, 2005

What you are suggesting is reasonable and it`s alreday being done. Check Kudoz rules for more information, or ask the moderators.
Good luck.

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 18:34
Membre (2005)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
One week? You're very lucky! Aug 2, 2005

Talking from my own experience, I had questions for several years, which I managed to get closed by giving agrees to some peers, when I thought their answers where acceptable. I have answers open since May, and probably they will remain open forever, since there are no peer comments at all

I wonder if there could be any kind of massive closing of questions open since time immemorial? I've only been answering KudoZ fo
... See more
Talking from my own experience, I had questions for several years, which I managed to get closed by giving agrees to some peers, when I thought their answers where acceptable. I have answers open since May, and probably they will remain open forever, since there are no peer comments at all

I wonder if there could be any kind of massive closing of questions open since time immemorial? I've only been answering KudoZ for 3 months (the old questions I referred to were as a newbie)and I already have more than 10 of those annoying questions which are never going to be close due to declining answers and missing asker...
Collapse

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 10:34
italien vers anglais
History Aug 2, 2005

Hi Bill,
It looks like the asker in question has answered more questions than she has asked, and has closed many other questions properly in the past. KudoZ histories that demonstrate helpfulness and responsibility, in my opinion, speak for leniency should there be a delay in awarding points.
Judging from the fact that she has quite a few questions open at the moment, I would be inclined to guess that she is under a deadline and possibly a bit overloaded. Once the job is OTD she may
... See more
Hi Bill,
It looks like the asker in question has answered more questions than she has asked, and has closed many other questions properly in the past. KudoZ histories that demonstrate helpfulness and responsibility, in my opinion, speak for leniency should there be a delay in awarding points.
Judging from the fact that she has quite a few questions open at the moment, I would be inclined to guess that she is under a deadline and possibly a bit overloaded. Once the job is OTD she may well have more time to thank everyone properly and grade the open questions. I admit that in the midst of a few particularly grueling periods I left questions open for quite a while; in some cases the delay was due to overwork, and in others I was waiting/hoping for another answer.
In any case, this asker's KudoZ history should set your mind at ease that the question will be properly closed eventually. You can also contact the moderator for the question if you would like to pursue it futher; you'll find their contact information at the bottom of each question page.
Hope that helps,
Amy Taylor

PS: The system-generated reminder message you suggested already exists. After a certain period (3-4 days I think), the messages are sent every other day, four times, or until the question is graded.

[Edited at 2005-08-02 16:28]
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 09:34
anglais vers français
+ ...
How about a statute of limitations on questions? Aug 2, 2005

one week? that's nothing!

lots -and I mean lots- of questions are still open after 2 or 3 years, robot could not close them as no answer had 2 agrees. Some of those questions did not receive a single answer.

I really think we should have a statute of limitations of sorts that would close questions automatically after they have been up for a while and received no answer.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:34
Membre (2004)
anglais vers français
Remind the askers Aug 2, 2005

I simply write to them, when they forget to close questions. I have some that are still open after 2-3 years.

Nina

teju
teju  Identity Verified
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
One week is nothing! Aug 2, 2005

Bill Smyth wrote:

I currently have 2 kudoz answers ungraded after more than a week. since I put a bit of effort into answering them, this is irritating. is there any way of getting the asker to grade them? I believe the robot swings into action after a while - can someone explain how that works? Otherwise I would suggest a system-generated email after a certain time, 3 days or whatever, reminding the asker to grade or close the question.

One week is not too long to wait. I know that 24 hours is the recommended period, but I can understand how someone might delay closing his/her questions. Sometimes it's because of lack of time, sometimes because they want more options.
I have seen many instances in my language pair (Spanish-English), when people have questions open for years. Once or twice, I have reminded the asker, without any results. Or they'll say "geez, you are right", and then they don't do anything, or they'll close 2 and they have 30 open.
I agree with you Bill, that if one takes the time to help someone, they in turn, should be able to take a minute to grade the answers given. On the other hand, we also help each other for the sake of helping, with purely altruistic motives. Once I submit an answer, I don't give it another thought, whether it was chosen or not. It's one way to look at it.

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
États-Unis
italien vers anglais
A crusade? Aug 2, 2005

Perhaps we could work together to help the robot - when you have half an hour free, look for "abandoned" questions in your language pair, and help supply the requisite agrees if you can.

Just an idea - off to check my pair.

Amy

USER00230 (X)
USER00230 (X)
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 17:34
allemand vers anglais
AUTEUR DU FIL
good idea Aug 2, 2005

nice suggestion Amy... now I know about the 2 agrees rule, I'll have a look some time

Gina W
Gina W
États-Unis
Local time: 12:34
Membre (2003)
français vers anglais
One week isn't nothing, but there may be a reason the questions are still open Aug 3, 2005

teju wrote:
One week is not too long to wait. I know that 24 hours is the recommended period, but I can understand how someone might delay closing his/her questions.

I can understand how a question might be open after a week. I wouldn't say it's "nothing", but I can understand when it happens. I've left questions open for a week or more, on occasion, though I think lately I've been posting back a "note" to say why I was waiting. For instance, I had one really odd term, and yes some good answers were given, but what I did was to use the term I liked best but ask the agency to review the term and let me know what term they and/or the client feel was appropriate - as it turns out, the agency had responded with a different term, so when I got that term from the agency, I closed the question without choosing one of the answers given, and posted a note with the term the agency had given me. But anyway, this is an example of why it might take a week or more. To me, while a week is not nothing, it certainly isn't long enough to feel impatient about. JMO.

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:34
japonais vers espagnol
+ ...
Yes, Amy Aug 3, 2005

That's something we can do to help; I'll do the same in my pairs.

[Edited at 2005-08-03 01:29]

TonyTK
TonyTK
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
We could write her a poem ... Aug 3, 2005

There was a young woman called Hilary
Who lived by the Teachers' distillery
She did a translation then went on vacation
For which she was publicly pilloried

Robert Donahue (X)
Robert Donahue (X)  Identity Verified
russe vers anglais
+ ...
We live in the microwave age... Aug 3, 2005

Where everyone expects all things to be settled instantly, cleanly and in our favor. On television crimes are solved and people are convicted and sent off to jail in a half hour (with commercial breaks no less). This is not TV however and honestly, a week is not too bad. In addition the prudent, not to mention humble, translator might consider the fact that maybe the Asker is looking for a better answer. These things can happen.

As to those pesky questions that have been open/un
... See more
Where everyone expects all things to be settled instantly, cleanly and in our favor. On television crimes are solved and people are convicted and sent off to jail in a half hour (with commercial breaks no less). This is not TV however and honestly, a week is not too bad. In addition the prudent, not to mention humble, translator might consider the fact that maybe the Asker is looking for a better answer. These things can happen.

As to those pesky questions that have been open/ungraded/unanswered for years I would like to direct your attention to the following forum post: http://www.proz.com/topic/33820 I think that it's our duty as responsible Prozians to try to clear some of these suckers out.
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentine
Local time: 13:34
Membre
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
New feature Aug 3, 2005

Please have a look at this thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/35335

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

asker has not graded a question - any action possible?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »