Local time: 20:09
French to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 26, 2009

Just saw this job add, here.

2000 words at 0.004 EUR per word [ TOTAL: 8.00 EUR ]

And the client is "in the hurry".

When will this end?
I know, Proz Staff will say: "Don't answer it".
Well, of course, but then, why publish it?

[Editado a las 2009-04-26 23:48 GMT]

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:09
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Decimal point error Apr 27, 2009

Hi Juan,

This is almost certainly a decimal point error. And why waste your energy on such low riders anyway?

Steffen

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:09
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
low rider Apr 27, 2009

I don't think it was a decimal point error as the total worked out. It was however an error on just about every other level!

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
It was a decimal point error Apr 27, 2009

Susanna Garcia wrote:

I don't think it was a decimal point error as the total worked out. It was however an error on just about every other level!

Hi Susanna,

The total worked out just because it is calculated automatically in the ProZ.com jobs system/posting form on the basis of the poster's input (i.e. number of words/lines multiplied by the rate per word/line). So any error made when entering the price will be carried through automatically.

Steffen

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:09
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes, I agree it was decimal point error Apr 27, 2009

And yes, I know the sum is worked out automatically after.
However, little it justifies these peanut posters... I personally do not see any crucial difference between an offer of 0,000004 and 0,04- and I treat them the same way.

Uldis

Added - while I was a jobs moderator, I used to ask these "decimal error" posters if they are sure indeed that they mean it and if there is no error - and quess what - in about 70% of cases they reposted their 0,003 jobs as 0,04...

U.

Steffen Walter wrote:
The total worked out just because it is calculated automatically in the ProZ.com jobs system/posting form on the basis of the poster's input (i.e. number of words/lines multiplied by the rate per word/line). So any error made when entering the price will be carried through automatically.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-04-27 22:30 GMT]

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:09
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
decimal point error maybe May 28, 2009

Well,

Maybe it was a decimal point error, but if it IS 0.04/word, it is still very low IMHO. I wouldn't work for that.

Liz Askew

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Perhaps it will end when moaners stop moaning May 28, 2009

Juan Jacob wrote:
When will this end?

Do you really want to know when this will end? It will end some time after moaners stop moaning. I suspect there are clients out there who deliberately post low rates just so that a moaner will pick it up and run with it. What do you think of this theory? Google for "troll".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

0.004 EUR per word, is it good?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »