Peter Simon
Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:11
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 5, 2018

Dear colleagues,

I've been asked by a potential new client to submit a copy of my ID together with a declaration of authentication and the translation "as we need these for a court need to confirm it was done by qualififed trnslator" (!). When I said I have doubts about it as it could be used for identity theft and anyway an ID has nothing to do with my being a professional translator, they came back saying, "About ID it will be used only for tthis translation, can you send a copy o
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I've been asked by a potential new client to submit a copy of my ID together with a declaration of authentication and the translation "as we need these for a court need to confirm it was done by qualififed trnslator" (!). When I said I have doubts about it as it could be used for identity theft and anyway an ID has nothing to do with my being a professional translator, they came back saying, "About ID it will be used only for tthis translation, can you send a copy of passport or driving license?"

So my question is whether anyone has ever received such a request, would you comply and under what conditions. Thank you in advance for your professional opinion. Greetings from P. Simon.
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Uhm... Oct 5, 2018

The other day a potential client required (sic) "photocopy of cover of your bank pass-book". They seemed legitimate, but this kind of quirky request (plus a ton of paperwork) was an immediate turn-off.

Well, you can always ask them to show you their statute of association and IDs of all the directors before you send yours.

Walter Landesman
Yolanda Broad
José Henrique Lamensdorf
Tom in London

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:11
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
I wouldn't Oct 5, 2018

Don't.
I do not see how your driving licence has anythig to do with your capacity as a professional translator. Gee, there are many translators who do not drive at all!
And also your passport (or for the sake of it, any diploma!)
Better to miss a chance for some money than running into troubles.
Identity theft is a real thing, better off without any potential extra money

Giuliana

Christophe Delaunay
writeaway
Walter Landesman
Tina Vonhof (X)
Daniela Slankamenac
Michele Fauble
Ivana Kahle

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:11
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Do they know what they're doing, I wonder? Oct 5, 2018

Peter Simon wrote:
a copy of my ID together with a declaration of authentication and the translation "as we need these for a court need to confirm it was done by qualififed trnslator" (!).

That makes me think they were supposed to use the services of a sworn translator - one that is "pre-qualified" in the eyes of the court. It depends a bit on the country, but many have lists of sworn translators, and one of them must do translations of certificates etc. for official use. If that's the case, your translation is probably going to be rejected, whatever you provide.

So my question is whether anyone has ever received such a request, would you comply and under what conditions.

Yes, I've received requests and I know I'm far from being alone. IMO, it's a mark of a translation agency that really has no idea. No, I would never comply with such a demand. It really isn't what they need; and translators really have no requirement to share their PERSONAL identity documents with anyone other than the competent authorities. If you were a sworn court interpreter then you would expect to have to present both your certificate and your personal ID to the court officials (I imagine). But translators shouldn't need to present ID to agency PMs!

Walter Landesman
Tina Vonhof (X)
Viviane Marx
Yolanda Broad
José Henrique Lamensdorf

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't Oct 5, 2018

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't comply with any of those requests. This really sounds fishy.

Jennifer Forbes
Tom in London

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not necessary Oct 5, 2018

Don't do it.

Some customers insist on my sending them my personal income statement. I explain them I invoice via my company and that they are most welcome to check my company details (most of which are available online). They keep insisting on my sending them personal income statement. I stop answering…

The end (not of the world).

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Tom in London

Peter Simon
Netherlands
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, all Oct 5, 2018

for your quick responses. They were very helpful!

Peter S.

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
As a sworn/court/certified translator I am prepared to show my credentials any time Oct 5, 2018

so it is no problem for me. Of course I would not do it when the customer would not identify himself properly. But mostly such my customers appear before me in person.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:11
English to Thai
+ ...
Direct submitting Oct 6, 2018

I sent my ID to a Scottish translation agency once to authorize translation on criminal cases. I went to the British Embassy in Bangkok, near my house, and showed them originals of my ID. The procedures were straightforward and transparent.
I agreed with the agency's request due to reasonable explanation.

Kind regards,
Soonthon L.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:11
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Showing ok, sending to unknown no Oct 6, 2018

the problem is not showing and keeping the original, which we have to whenever we are asked by authorities to identify ourselves. The problem is the sending or entrusting someone unknown with our identities. Who knows where our IDs and data land or disappear in some drawer - either virtual or physical

I have heard of enough stories for which an absolutely innocent person had to prove not to have done what accused of. And by the time proof was there (if any, in some cases not) his ca
... See more
the problem is not showing and keeping the original, which we have to whenever we are asked by authorities to identify ourselves. The problem is the sending or entrusting someone unknown with our identities. Who knows where our IDs and data land or disappear in some drawer - either virtual or physical

I have heard of enough stories for which an absolutely innocent person had to prove not to have done what accused of. And by the time proof was there (if any, in some cases not) his career was ruined and job lost... not to talk about what he had to spend to be represented by a lawyer.

A 100 bucks or are not worth the risk.

Giuliana
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Peter Oct 8, 2018

Peter Simon wrote:
I've been asked by a potential new client to submit a copy of my ID together with a declaration of authentication and the translation, "as we need these for a court need to confirm it was done by qualified translator".

I think a copy of your ID, with all the numbers crossed out so that only your photo and your name is visible, should suffice. As for the "declaration of authentication", I'm not sure if you are allowed to provide it, unless perhaps the client can tell you what sort of wording they believe the declaration ought to have.

Peter Simon

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:11
Chinese to English
+ ...
Going off on a tangent Oct 8, 2018

I've been on the opposite end of this, once - I asked for a private client's ID, more specifically their student ID. They were looking for service regarding a project related to their academic work, and I offered them a discount if they could provide proof. I did offer them an alternate option, though they chose to send me a copy of their ID.

Peter Simon
Netherlands
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Lincoln, Oct 8, 2018

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I've been on the opposite end of this, once - I asked for a private client's ID, more specifically their student ID. They were looking for service regarding a project related to their academic work, and I offered them a discount if they could provide proof. I did offer them an alternate option, though they chose to send me a copy of their ID.

Unfortunately, this is really off at a huge tangent. Any opinion relevant to my case, as a translator facing an agency?

Actually, I could have used Samuel's approach, had I thought about it before. This could be a fairly applicable, safe response to the demand, thank you.

[Edited at 2018-10-08 17:59 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:11
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
@ Giuliana Oct 8, 2018

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Don't.
I do not see how your driving licence has anythig to do with your capacity as a professional translator. Gee, there are many translators who do not drive at all!
And also your passport (or for the sake of it, any diploma!)
Better to miss a chance for some money than running into troubles.
Identity theft is a real thing, better off without any potential extra money

Giuliana

Their request of your driving licence has anything to do with your capacity as a professional translator. They just want to be able to track you down if something happens.

What would happen? Anything. I guess this agency has had some unpleasant experiences with their translators before.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
notarized statement Oct 8, 2018

Isn't that what notarized statements are for? They verify your identity on a statement that you provide, saying that you are a qualified translator (or whatever verbiage you need).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shall I?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »