Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Productivity: Translate 10 thousand words per day is possible? (No Cat Tools involved)
Thread poster: Evelyn de Almeida
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Er... Aug 3, 2018

Maybe on one day, under exceptional circumstances, it can be done. I vaguely recall translating 10K one weekend... but I doubt very much that anyone could keep up such a ridiculously demanding rate. And certainly not for sub-continental rates either.

Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:52
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Aug 3, 2018

neilmac wrote:

Maybe on one day, under exceptional circumstances, it can be done. I vaguely recall translating 10K one weekend... but I doubt very much that anyone could keep up such a ridiculously demanding rate. And certainly not for sub-continental rates either.

I'm sure Daniel can do it in his preferred subject and with all the productivity tricks he's developed over the years...

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Fair enough Aug 3, 2018

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
Sorry, Dan, why didn't you say "some agencies" then? To me, the message was clear. But I don't want to open an endless debate now. So, case closed as far as I'm concerned...

Giovanni, I understand and will desist - I was not intending to drag you into a long and exhausting sub-thread. We have both made our points...

Dan

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
This thread Aug 3, 2018

It is a pity that the Asker's original and sincere question has been turned into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO23WBji_Z0

[Edited at 2018-08-03 16:05 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Natasha Ziada (X)
Daryo

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Answer Aug 3, 2018

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

It is a pity that the Asker's original and sincere question has been turned into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO23WBji_Z0

My original and sincere answer is "Yes, it is possible and sustainable, and I can prove it".

If somebody can do 20k or 30k a day, I won't be jealous. Good for them.

Erik Freitag

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
... Aug 3, 2018

DZiW wrote:

Daniel, while it's possible to greatly speed up the process via (A) extreme optimization and (B) automation, I would like to make sure regarding (1) possible MT abuse, (2) solitary work, and (3) non-patents fields.

1. No MT at all. First of all, when talking speed, using MT means cheating; secondly, MT is deleterious to quality and is better avoided anyway, regardless of context.

2. Of course it's solitary work. At this level, who needs teamwork? It would only produce inconsistent results. Remember, it's quantity and quality. If you are within the top few percentiles, you don't let anybody touch your babies, ever.

3. Assume that 1000 patent words ≅ 950 non-patent words.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Skin in the game Aug 3, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:
1. No MT at all.
2. Of course it's solitary work.
3. Assume that 1000 patent words ≅ 950 non-patent words.

You may agree, or disagree. But at least he is, on the surface of things, putting his money where his mouth is. If people are so sure he is a fraud, why not negotiate some kind of escrow deal, and see what Daniel can do?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
bought chips and popcorn for three days Aug 4, 2018

So, it's gonna be a peer review of an online real-time video aka streaming with donations?
Very interesting, instructive and even didactic!
How I wish it were in my language pair)

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
On prodigies Aug 4, 2018

In the end, does it really matter what each individual's output is? It's up to every translator to draw their own line in the sand, decide who they want to work with, at what price, and how many hours a day they want to dedicate to their profession.

As Mirko has already said, most translators state their daily output to be between 2500-3000 words. Which makes someone claiming to be able to turn out 12,000 words a day of quality text on an ongoing and long-term basis to be somewhat o
... See more
In the end, does it really matter what each individual's output is? It's up to every translator to draw their own line in the sand, decide who they want to work with, at what price, and how many hours a day they want to dedicate to their profession.

As Mirko has already said, most translators state their daily output to be between 2500-3000 words. Which makes someone claiming to be able to turn out 12,000 words a day of quality text on an ongoing and long-term basis to be somewhat of a prodigy. The world is full of prodigies - just check on YouTube. But prodigies are kind of boring; of course it's amazing to see a four year-old play Beethoven's Ninth Symphony by heart, but all heroes need to have their flaws, or people stop reading after three pages.

I haven't actually witnessed Daniel working, so don't know what he's capable of. All I know is that at 46 years of age, there are a ton of other things I'd much rather be doing than churning out 12K of text per day.
Collapse

Natasha Ziada (X)
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Vladimir Filipenko
Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Aug 4, 2018

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

All I know is that at 46 years of age, there are a ton of other things I'd much rather be doing than churning out 12K of text per day.

yes, but prodigies only care about their own talent...

Angie Garbarino

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
40-50k Aug 4, 2018

I should point out that I don't consider myself "prodigious" at all. I am not even a good typist, by the way.

In my estimation, some sort of educated wunderkind should be able to attain 40k in 24 hours (non-sustainable peak) and maybe more, of professional quality.

And we keep debating 10-12k... we're probably talking peanuts.

[Edited at 2018-08-04 12:21 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Peaks Aug 4, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

In my estimation, some sort of educated wunderkind should be able to attain 40k in 24 hours (non-sustainable peak) and maybe more, of professional quality.

You say "non-sustainable peak" - isn't that precisely the point? Daily output means the volume you can sustain over the long term, or for the five, six or however many days it might take you to complete a project.

40K in 24 hours - that works out to more than 1600 words PER HOUR, and that's without sleep.

[Edited at 2018-08-04 12:19 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Long-term? Aug 4, 2018

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

You say "non-sustainable peak" - isn't that precisely the point? Daily output means the volume you can sustain over the long term, or for the five, six or however many days it might take you to complete a project.

40K in 24 hours - that works out to more than 1600 words PER HOUR, and that's without sleep.

If you do 40k in 24 hours, who needs long-term sustainability? You just have 2-3 days per month like that, you're set.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:52
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think it is irrelevant to mention "CAT tool" in this discussion Aug 4, 2018

A CAT tool can help you speed up only if you can leverage a translation memory. However, if you do get a lot of matched segments generated from a TM, the net word count will become less, so your statement about translating 10,000 per day should no longer hold true.

[Edited at 2018-08-04 21:23 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Comment Aug 4, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

If you do 40k in 24 hours, who needs long-term sustainability? You just have 2-3 days per month like that, you're set.

So what's the rush then?

Angie Garbarino
ibz

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Productivity: Translate 10 thousand words per day is possible? (No Cat Tools involved)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »