Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
How is the proliferation of translation platforms affecting your business?
Thread poster: Catherine Earle
Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:48
English to Russian
Innovation, technology and humanity Sep 3, 2021

Learning and innovation go hand in hand. The arrogance of success is to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow.
© William Pollard

There’s a way to do it better – find it.
© Thomas A. Edison

Good, bad or indifferent, if you are not investing in new technology, you are going to be left behind.
© Philip Green

Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller,
... See more
Learning and innovation go hand in hand. The arrogance of success is to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow.
© William Pollard

There’s a way to do it better – find it.
© Thomas A. Edison

Good, bad or indifferent, if you are not investing in new technology, you are going to be left behind.
© Philip Green

Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road.
© Stewart Brand
Collapse

Anna Gorska
expressisverbis

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Technology is not a religion Sep 3, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
Some people believe in technology as an absolute, incontrovertible Good; a lodestar that is leading humankind to the Promised Land.

Just for the record, I'm not a religious person and technology is not a religion. Technology is a tool, and the use of tools is what defines a human being.

Anna Gorska
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio
Gianni Pastore

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:48
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes but Sep 3, 2021

....Vladimir appears to be a believer.

Concorde_Air_France_Flight_4590_fire_on_runway

gettyimages-2665005

[Edited at 2021-09-03 13:19 GMT]

Catherine Earle
writeaway

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Nowhow Sep 3, 2021

I don't touch them

writeaway
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Catherine Earle
Catherine Earle
United States
Local time: 16:48
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AI-related information acquisition Sep 3, 2021

Tom--that's hilarious!

Andreas--you put it so well. You restated the problem for me, using more accurate language.

Tom in London

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
To all non-believers and Luddites Sep 3, 2021

Pithecanthropus_4

Anna Gorska
expressisverbis

Catherine Earle
Catherine Earle
United States
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AI-related information acquisition Sep 3, 2021

OK, Pawel...but how is that affecting your business?

Tom in London

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Lol Sep 3, 2021

Lifted LADA Niva on American 35's?

Kolhoz is indestructible

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Pithecanthropus_4

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
My 2 cents on the primary topic Sep 3, 2021

Catherine Earle wrote:

In the last few years, there have been at least two dominant trends in translation software. One is the proliferation of CAT tools that compete with Trados, and more and more, with each other.

Over the years, I have tried most of the current desktop and online CAT tools. Some of the online ones are very good, fast, and efficient, while others are cumbersome and sluggish (no specific names here).

I only use three online translation platforms, while avoiding others.

These trends force an increased involvement in learning new technologies. Has this affected your productivity in a positive or negative way? Do you feel that you now spend more time learning new systems than translating? Do you believe you are being evaluated more on your ability to unravel new systems/platforms than on your ability to translate?

I know quite a few fellow translators who are unwilling to learn anything new. Some of them have cushy jobs in corporate settings and are happy as it is.

I also know a couple of such translators who got out of depth entirely after losing these cushy in-house jobs.

The key to pursuing excellence is to embrace an organic, long-term learning process, and not to live in a shell of static, safe mediocrity. Usually, growth comes at the expense of previous comfort or safety."
© Josh Waitzkin

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.”
© Henry Ford

You don't need to learn every CAT tool and translation platform, but you will be in a much better position in the translation industry if you master a couple of them.

Andreas Baranowski
Andreas Baranowski  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:48
Japanese to German
+ ...
Deeply moved Sep 4, 2021

I am deeply moved by the arduous belief in “progress” displayed by some on this forum, and I see the light, technology will save us all.

As I said above, Catherine is not taking issue with CAT tools per se but with the agency environment they have brought forth. The self-congratulary brouhaha over progress, technology, fax machines, and what have you is completely off the mark.

For the record, I didn’t say anything against the use of CAT tools per se. I have been
... See more
I am deeply moved by the arduous belief in “progress” displayed by some on this forum, and I see the light, technology will save us all.

As I said above, Catherine is not taking issue with CAT tools per se but with the agency environment they have brought forth. The self-congratulary brouhaha over progress, technology, fax machines, and what have you is completely off the mark.

For the record, I didn’t say anything against the use of CAT tools per se. I have been a long-term user of Wordfast and wouldn’t want to miss it. But only for my own purposes.

I assert that the appearance of Trados marks the point of entry for a soon-to-be dominant business model adopted by a rapidly growing number of agencies, which has been working to the detriment of translators. The big agencies leave no doubt that they are looking to further increase volumes and lower costs. The middle league will have to follow suit or perish. If the camp of self-appointed defenders of progress and technology believe they can beat this system in the long run, best of luck with that. Stockholm syndrome, anyone?

PS: Lordy, lordy, looks like I inadvertently poked a holy cow when all I was trying to do is give a factual account of the state of affairs.

[Edited at 2021-09-04 04:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-04 06:50 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Emerging business models Sep 4, 2021

Andreas Baranowski wrote:

For the record, I didn’t say anything against the use of CAT tools per se. I have been a long-term user of Wordfast and wouldn’t want to miss it. But only for my own purposes.

For the record, I use a CAT tool, a terminology management tool, an aligner, an OCR tool, a CVR (continuous voice recognition) tool, an (adaptive neural) MT engine, and wouldn't want to miss them. But for my own purposes.

I assert that Trados marks the point of entry for a soon-to-be dominant business model adopted by a rapidly growing number of agencies, which has been working to the detriment of translators. The big agencies leave no doubt that they are looking to further increase volumes and lower costs.

For the record, if I don't like how a particular agency operates their business, I don't work for them. Period.

If the camp of self-appointed defenders of progress and technology believe they can beat this system in the long run, best of luck with that.

Andreas, we are in the same boat, regardless of our attitude to progress and technology. I don't think any of us can beat the system in the long run. We can either adapt to the ever-changing translation industry or seek another way to earn our daily bread (and butter, and meat, and fish, and a new TV set, and a new car, you name it).

expressisverbis
Jorge Payan

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Not at all Sep 4, 2021

Catherine Earle wrote:

OK, Pawel...but how is that affecting your business?

I am pensioned for several years now and I can afford to choose what jobs I take. Besides my customers are either from a single translation platform or are approaching me directly (I am a sworn/certified translator).

Catherine Earle
Catherine Earle
United States
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AI-related information acquisition Sep 5, 2021

OK, Pawel, thanks for making that clear.

I should also say that I am an avid user of CAT tools and own licenses to Trados, MemoQ and WordFast. As Andreas has stated, it is the cutthroat agency environment that technology has created that disturbs me, along with ornate agency proprietary systems that are required by certain large agencies for translation projects.

My take-away to date from this discussion has been simple, and very helpful: I am constantly learning new t
... See more
OK, Pawel, thanks for making that clear.

I should also say that I am an avid user of CAT tools and own licenses to Trados, MemoQ and WordFast. As Andreas has stated, it is the cutthroat agency environment that technology has created that disturbs me, along with ornate agency proprietary systems that are required by certain large agencies for translation projects.

My take-away to date from this discussion has been simple, and very helpful: I am constantly learning new technology, and I do use CAT tools, but I plan to cease working for the few agencies with proprietary systems that are so cumbersome that the system itself takes more of my time than the translation itself.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Tom in London
Philippe Etienne

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
doesn't affect me because Sep 5, 2021

that's not where I get my work.
I work for a handful of agency clients who have been with me over some years. We focus on quality, individualized personalized product that meets needs etc. and none of these things ever occur. Occasionally I hear from a new agency who heard about me from these clients, so they have the same value systems. My other clients are end clients. None of them would be looking for the kind of service environment described. They're interested in the service and
... See more
that's not where I get my work.
I work for a handful of agency clients who have been with me over some years. We focus on quality, individualized personalized product that meets needs etc. and none of these things ever occur. Occasionally I hear from a new agency who heard about me from these clients, so they have the same value systems. My other clients are end clients. None of them would be looking for the kind of service environment described. They're interested in the service and product.
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Get out of the bottom half of the market Sep 5, 2021

Catherine Earle wrote:

it is the cutthroat agency environment that technology has created that disturbs me, along with ornate agency proprietary systems that are required by certain large agencies for translation projects.

What you describe does exist, but it's certainly not ubiquitous. One way to avoid it altogether is to develop a good specialty or three, then look for small boutique agencies that compete on quality and value their vendors.

expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
P.L.F. Persio
Jorge Payan
Daryo

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is the proliferation of translation platforms affecting your business?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »