Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Powwow: Tel-Aviv - Israel

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Tel-Aviv - Israel".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Jonathan Orr-Stav
Jonathan Orr-Stav
Canada
Local time: 07:23
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Venue, spouses Nov 24, 2006

Having it near Rakevet Tzafon or midway between that and Gan Ha'ir is a good idea – can't vouch for parking, though. Cafe Henrietta is good, unless someone has a better idea.
Bear in mind we're now up to 23 people, which is almost a conference. If we want to have a structured session that is informative and not just schmoozing, it might make sense to hire a room in one of the hotels with kibud. What say you? (I'm willing to pay more than my share, since I initiated it).
As for sp
... See more
Having it near Rakevet Tzafon or midway between that and Gan Ha'ir is a good idea – can't vouch for parking, though. Cafe Henrietta is good, unless someone has a better idea.
Bear in mind we're now up to 23 people, which is almost a conference. If we want to have a structured session that is informative and not just schmoozing, it might make sense to hire a room in one of the hotels with kibud. What say you? (I'm willing to pay more than my share, since I initiated it).
As for spouses (spice?) – if you need them to help interpret or as protection, then OK, but otherwise I think it will only add to the logistical problem and reduce the chance to get to know each other and talk "shop". (I'm not bringing mine – I know she'll be bored.)
Collapse

Jonathan Orr-Stav
Jonathan Orr-Stav
Canada
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Topics Nov 24, 2006

Desertfox is right: we need topics for discussion.
Here are two just to get the ball rolling:
- Introductions: name, languages, speciality
- Payment options: PayPal, etc.
(I recently tried out PayPal buttons for payment by credit card through my website, and it works a charm)

Any others?

judithyf
judithyf  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:23
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
when and where Nov 25, 2006

Could we make it fairly early, say about 18:00, as some of us will be using public transportation.
I think if we book (let's say at Henrietta's) beforehand, and all order some light supper, perhaps, they should have no objection.

Mark Elliott Shapiro
Mark Elliott Shapiro  Identity Verified
Israël
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
When and where Nov 26, 2006

Dloes Henrietta's have a kosher certificate? If not, there is probably something kosher in the area. The location is good because it is close to the central train station.

Mark Elliott Shapiro
Israël
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Agenda Nov 26, 2006

I suggest that we have an agenda and that it be posted to us before the meeting. Items on the agenda: Arranging a monthly conference in Israel; contacts with proZ.com branches in Jordan and Egypt; increasing contacts between proZ.com (paying and non-paying) members through distribution of phone list, establishment of a yahoo group. The meeting should start off with each of us giving a few words (30 seconds) about himself/herself.

Mark Elliott Shapiro
Israël
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Agenda Nov 26, 2006

I hope that translators working from/to Arabic will be attending. This is very important.

Gad Kohenov
Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israël
anglais vers hébreu
+ ...
Paypal+Arabic Nov 26, 2006

Paypal don't work with Israeli banks. I use MoneyBookers. They don't charge you when you receive money (unlike PayPal) and must work with Israeli banks. A colleague in Egypt has the same problem and works with MoneyBookers only I pay with paypal if there is no other way. But I don't like greedy people and the fact you must have a US account to cash your money.
As for Arabic translators I have an agency in Egypt with which I work regularly. I also have a contact working in Jerusalem. Mark
... See more
Paypal don't work with Israeli banks. I use MoneyBookers. They don't charge you when you receive money (unlike PayPal) and must work with Israeli banks. A colleague in Egypt has the same problem and works with MoneyBookers only I pay with paypal if there is no other way. But I don't like greedy people and the fact you must have a US account to cash your money.
As for Arabic translators I have an agency in Egypt with which I work regularly. I also have a contact working in Jerusalem. Mark you could use my services for this. And I don't think a monthly meeting is a good idea. Why do we have SKYPE now? we can always "vote" by e-mail etc.
How about the Indians who take our work from our mouths, by employeeing Israeli translators for peanuts. When they contacted me I sent them packing. I suggest you do the same. I heard complaints about Indian translations agencies from Israelis and non-Israelis living in faraway places like Canada.
We should talk to all Israeli and Hebrew translators abroad and establish our Association, like the ATA. I know there is the ITA in Israel. But I prefer not to depend on anyone but on ourselves. Maybe we can create a "team" as Proz allows us. That way if someone has a French, Spanish or Italian translation (into both Hebrew or English) he could refer it to me and in return I will refer Russian, Portuguese, German etc. to them. Keep it in the family so to speak.
I know that the Kudoz feature here is very helpful. I suggest we answer each other's questions if we can. I don't see a lot of that in Kudoz. From hundreds of Israelis you get 2 or 3 answers at the most.
Collapse

Jonathan Orr-Stav
Jonathan Orr-Stav
Canada
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Payment options, agenda, etc. Nov 26, 2006

Desertfox
MoneyBookers is excellent suggestion – I wasn't aware of it. You see? We haven't even had the Powwow yet and already it's paying off...
Thanks Mark, too, for your suggestions. A kosher restaurant is a given, of course. I think that a monthly meeting would be more than most would be able to attend. Translators to/from Arabic is a good idea – if anyone knows of such ProZ members in Israel who want to come along, please pass on the invitation. (My former kibbutz abba-m
... See more
Desertfox
MoneyBookers is excellent suggestion – I wasn't aware of it. You see? We haven't even had the Powwow yet and already it's paying off...
Thanks Mark, too, for your suggestions. A kosher restaurant is a given, of course. I think that a monthly meeting would be more than most would be able to attend. Translators to/from Arabic is a good idea – if anyone knows of such ProZ members in Israel who want to come along, please pass on the invitation. (My former kibbutz abba-me'ametz is one – but I doubt he's a ProZ member).
Collapse

Mark Elliott Shapiro
Israël
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Referrals Nov 26, 2006

desertfox has a good point about referrals. I prefer referrals rather than a team.
I will try to see if I can get any Arabic translators.

Mark Elliott Shapiro
Israël
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Contacting Haaretz & Hamodia Nov 26, 2006

If you would like, orr-stav, I can invite my colleagues at Haaretz and translators from Hamodia (two very good friends work there); however, first we will have to have a location. I await your reply.

judithyf
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Arabic Translator Nov 26, 2006

An acqaintance is an Arabic-English-Hebrew translator. However, he is not a member of proz.com (although he might be persauded to joint). May I invite him anyway, as a guest?

Jonathan Orr-Stav
Jonathan Orr-Stav
Canada
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Arabic, non-members Nov 26, 2006

I'm easy about allowing non-members to attend, as long as they're translators themselves and can provide useful contributions to the conversation. Who knows? They might become members following the meeting.

judithyf
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Arabic, non-members Nov 27, 2006

Thank you orr-stav, I will contact him and let you know.

Mark Elliott Shapiro
Israël
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Contacting Haaretz & Hamodia Nov 27, 2006

Thank you, orr-stav, I will contact them the moment we have a location.

Mark Elliott Shapiro
Israël
hébreu vers anglais
+ ...
Kosher vs. vegetarian/dairy Nov 27, 2006

Message for orr-stav and Jonathan Fedler: So that no one will have dietary problems, the venue should be a kosher (with a rabbinate certificate) establishment, preferably dairy. thank you

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Tel-Aviv - Israel

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »