Espagne
Local time: 23:08
Membre
anglais
+ ...
The Russians are Coming :-) Oct 17, 2003

[quote]Danya recommended:

Bulgakov\'s \"Master and Margarita\"....quote]

I heartily second this recommendation. I have read it (in English, I\'m afraid) and seen two excellent stage adaptations and agree that it is a masterpiece.

Bulgakov\'s \"Black Snow\" may not get to the same level, as literature, but it is a real satiric hoot - especially for anyone who ever had to study Stanislavski.

On the subject of Russian Literature I would also recommend \"The Suicide\" a hilarious play by Nikolai Erdman that was banned in the USSR for decades. The scene where a neighbour argues communist justification for peeping through a keyhole at his female neighbour undressing is priceless. \"Ah, yes.... But when I look at her through the communist perspective....\"

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 23:08
Membre (2003)
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
My tallies Apr 17, 2004

Read: 21
Not finish: 5
Saw movie but didn't read book: 1

Among the ones I did not finish was "On the Road", even though it was really thin. Couldn't stand it.

I have read Huckleberry Finn and Catch-22 several times.

There were several one the list that I haven't read that I would like to, if I ever have time between translations.

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Membre
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
Pilgrim´s Progress Aug 14, 2004

I guess considering its historical importance and impact, I can imagine it being included in the list. But #2? I thought the book was crap: static characters with static themes that describe a topic in a played out way. I don´t see it as a book for "all ages." Maybe I missed something.

I couldn´t even find Will Shakespeare in the whole list but The Pilgrim´s Progress is #2? Gimme a break.

David

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The 100 greatest novels of all time

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »