Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hongrie
Local time: 17:43
Membre (2002)
anglais vers hongrois
+ ...
Mar 2, 2004

Is any of you familiar with ForeignDesk? (FD)
Now I have to use it for a localization project.
I would like to convert the source file so that I can actualy work in Deja Vu (DV) (with which I am very familiar and which can handle termonilogy very efficiently). Now: DV can produce proper target files in the same format (asp, txt, xsl) as the source files.
The problem is that FD also uses some interim files that look rather chaotic, full of code. When I deliver the project to t
... See more
Is any of you familiar with ForeignDesk? (FD)
Now I have to use it for a localization project.
I would like to convert the source file so that I can actualy work in Deja Vu (DV) (with which I am very familiar and which can handle termonilogy very efficiently). Now: DV can produce proper target files in the same format (asp, txt, xsl) as the source files.
The problem is that FD also uses some interim files that look rather chaotic, full of code. When I deliver the project to the client, all files should be there (i.e. source, target AND the code-heavy interim files).
I am now investigating a workaround: translating the files in DV, then setting up a "legacy" project with the original source files and translated target files. As I understand this is basically an alignment process. Unfortunately I cannot go any further than this. When I make the "Recycle from" step, the legacy files seem to be locked or hidden (crossed out), so I cannot import translated segments into the project.

Any ideas what I can do about this?
thanks
Collapse

Christian Flury (X)
Christian Flury (X)
Autriche
Local time: 17:43
latin vers allemand
+ ...
You can only select directories, not files Mar 2, 2004

Hi!

I don\'t know if you will find my advice very helpful as I am not a FD expert either. However, I think I know why the files seem to be \"locked\". Actually, it is rather weird: When creating a new project in FD - be it for translating new files or for recycling translated files - you cannot access or view single files, but only entire directories. So you need to create a directory in which you place all the source files and another one for the target files. Then you choose those
... See more
Hi!

I don\'t know if you will find my advice very helpful as I am not a FD expert either. However, I think I know why the files seem to be \"locked\". Actually, it is rather weird: When creating a new project in FD - be it for translating new files or for recycling translated files - you cannot access or view single files, but only entire directories. So you need to create a directory in which you place all the source files and another one for the target files. Then you choose those directories as source files and target files locations and FD will run the alignment process on all the files contained in the respective directories. Of course, all this has to be done in FDPA. Then, you can open the new project in the main application (ForeignDesk ITE) to modify the single files.

Good luck!

Christian
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ForeignDesk: recycling from legacy files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »