Should I translate incorrectly written polish expressions into incorrect English words?
Thread poster: PJ999
PJ999
PJ999
Poland
Nov 26, 2016

Hi, I'd be grateful if you could write what would you do in such a situation:
I have a text in Polish, it is a complaint regarding the provision of legal services. The lawyer whom the complaint concerns is half-Polish and in the letter of complaint there are some of his messages cited, always with the statement: Original spelling because the statements are incorrect e.g. Chciałbym zycyc wsyskiego najlepszego i zapytac o pana zdrowie, prosze napisac kiedy mozemy sie spotkac.

... See more
Hi, I'd be grateful if you could write what would you do in such a situation:
I have a text in Polish, it is a complaint regarding the provision of legal services. The lawyer whom the complaint concerns is half-Polish and in the letter of complaint there are some of his messages cited, always with the statement: Original spelling because the statements are incorrect e.g. Chciałbym zycyc wsyskiego najlepszego i zapytac o pana zdrowie, prosze napisac kiedy mozemy sie spotkac.

What would you do - would translate into English with spelling mistakes or not?

I made a decision but I'm wondering what would others do.
Collapse

cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:14
English to German
+ ...
No Nov 26, 2016

Joanna Joanna wrote:

What would you do - would translate into English with spelling mistakes or not?

You have basically two possibilities - either contact the customer and ask them how they wish this to be handled or translate correctly and place an explanation in brackets under or within the texts (I don't know how you do it normally).

The most important question would be - is it a sworn translation?

Heike Drescher
Heike Drescher  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
translate spelling mistakes Nov 26, 2016

Normally I translate obvious spelling mistakes into correct English. However, in this specific case I think a translator's note concerning the spelling mistakes in the original is indispensable.

Anna Siewruk
Anna Siewruk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:14
English to Polish
+ ...
Correct English spellings (perhaps with a note) Nov 26, 2016

Hello! In this type of document I would use correct English spellings. (I think that if the fact that the lawyer made mistakes matters for whatever reason then you should add a note in brackets to explain the type of mistakes he made etc. but still use correct English).

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
^This Nov 26, 2016

I would translate correctly and add one (1) note for the entire text.

Artificial spelling mistakes would seem unprofessional to me in a non-fictional context - the only place I would possibly imitate them is in a children's book or poetry that relies on the concept of spelling mistakes, but that's a whole different genre.

[Edited at 2016-11-27 08:23 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
No, make a note Nov 26, 2016

There is no real way to translate spelling errors unless you are dealing with intentional misspelling in fiction. In a legal paper, you can give a correct translation and append a note, for example:

[translator's note: words 'XXX' and 'YYY' are misspelled in the source]

If necessary, you can also explain how this error might affect the perceived meaning of the text. The same can be done for other kinds of errors - missing words, wrong usage, wrong syntax, etc. S
... See more
There is no real way to translate spelling errors unless you are dealing with intentional misspelling in fiction. In a legal paper, you can give a correct translation and append a note, for example:

[translator's note: words 'XXX' and 'YYY' are misspelled in the source]

If necessary, you can also explain how this error might affect the perceived meaning of the text. The same can be done for other kinds of errors - missing words, wrong usage, wrong syntax, etc. Such notes are typically given in square brackets or, if you are using MS Word, as Word comments.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:14
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Generally speaking, no Nov 26, 2016

But I once translated a novel from Russian in which a Russian major used a Spanish term incorrectly, so I wasn't sure if this was deliberate to show the major did not know Spanish well. I asked the author, and it turned out it was the author's error and he wanted it in correct Spanish.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
My suggestion Nov 26, 2016

The server showed a small part of my post only, and that occurred twice, therefore I decided to remove it. I'll try again tomorrow.

[Zmieniono 2016-11-26 23:33 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
My suggestion Nov 26, 2016

That was the second attempt.

[Zmieniono 2016-11-26 23:34 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
My third attempt Nov 27, 2016

I'm a Polish national. I can see several missing signs (characters), and several missing diacritic signs (a very important issue, sometimes can cause misunderstanding).

I'd solve the issue in this way, with bold fonts:

Original text with spelling errors: Chciałbym zycyc wsyskiego najlepszego i zapytac o pana zdrowie, prosze napisac kiedy mozemy sie spotkac.

Original text corrected: Chciałbym życzyć wszystkiego najleps
... See more
I'm a Polish national. I can see several missing signs (characters), and several missing diacritic signs (a very important issue, sometimes can cause misunderstanding).

Original text with spelling errors: Chciałbym zycyc wsyskiego najlepszego i zapytac o pana zdrowie, prosze napisac kiedy mozemy sie spotkac.

Original text corrected: Chciałbym życzyć wszystkiego najlepszego i zapytać o pana zdrowie, proszę napisać, kiedy możemy się spotkać. (Note: the missing comma was added between 'napisać' and 'kiedy' in compliance with Polish grammar rules.)

The sentence means: I'd like to wish you all the best and ask about your health, please write when we can meet.

That's how I see the easiest possible solution to Joanna Joanna's issue. By the way I hope that all readers will see Polish diacritics as I wrote them.

[Zmieniono 2016-11-27 15:39 GMT]

[Zmieniono 2016-11-28 11:51 GMT]
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
removed by author Nov 27, 2016

removed by author

[Zmieniono 2016-11-27 15:38 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good solution Nov 27, 2016

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

Original text corrected: Chciałbym życzyć wszystkiego najlepszego i zapytać o pana zdrowie, proszę napisać, kiedy możemy się spotkać. (Note: the missing comma was added between 'napisać' and 'kiedy' in compliance with Polish grammar rules.)

The sentence means: I'd like to wish you all the best and ask about your health, please write when we can meet.

That's how I see the easiest possible solution to Joanna Joanna's issue. By the way I hope that all readers will see Polish diacritics as I wrote them.

Andrzej,

Thank you for sharing this practical solution with the OP and the rest of us. I don't read Polish but I could see all the diacritics and the correct terms.

There is no single correct solution to handling this problem. Obviously, I would be against leaving the misspelled Polish words as misspelled English words, since 1) that was not the author's intent (his errors weren't deliberate) and 2) the function or objective of the text is a greeting, pure and simple. Skopos theory at work, folks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I translate incorrectly written polish expressions into incorrect English words?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »