Thread poster: Andreas Baranowski
Andreas Baranowski
Andreas Baranowski  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:53
Japanese to German
+ ...
Feb 27, 2009

This posting was vetted OK by Proz. I don’t feel comfortable with this. Are we in the host/hostess business now?

[Edited at 2009-02-27 18:01 GMT]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:53
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request Feb 27, 2009

Hi Andreas,
As announced about a month ago, ProZ.com staff are now responsible for the vetting of jobs. Please submit a Support Request, indicating the URL of the job posting concerned.

Best regards,
Ralf

Andreas Baranowski
Japan
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did that. Feb 27, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Andreas,
As announced about a month ago, ProZ.com staff are now responsible for the vetting of jobs. Please submit a Support Request, indicating the URL of the job posting concerned.

Best regards,
Ralf

http://www.proz.com/ticket/110240

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Certainly on the fringes of ProZ remit Feb 27, 2009

A while ago, there was a post for a bilingual secretary which I queried with the ProZ staff. They said that it was on the fringes of what was acceptable, but that they thought it was OK.

This sounds as though it would be right on the frayed edge of the fringe. It depends to some extent, of course, on what is implied by "host/hostess". It could be more-or-less an interpreting job, but it could be something entirely different, involving something that needs no interpreting... See more
A while ago, there was a post for a bilingual secretary which I queried with the ProZ staff. They said that it was on the fringes of what was acceptable, but that they thought it was OK.

This sounds as though it would be right on the frayed edge of the fringe. It depends to some extent, of course, on what is implied by "host/hostess". It could be more-or-less an interpreting job, but it could be something entirely different, involving something that needs no interpreting
Collapse

Andreas Baranowski
Japan
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Host/hostess business on Proz Feb 27, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:

This sounds as though it would be right on the frayed edge of the fringe. It depends to some extent, of course, on what is implied by "host/hostess". It could be more-or-less an interpreting job, but it could be something entirely different, involving something that needs no interpreting

Very well. But In this instance the outsourcers's requirement is host/hostess. It is _not_ translator or interpreter. I have no problems whatsoever with Proz.com's commercial objectives but I don' t see how host/hostess (No experience required, is what the outsourcer says) cannot damage our profile as language professionals.

Regards
AB

[Edited at 2009-02-27 17:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-27 17:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-27 17:50 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Well, it is controversial, but it may be just lack of info Feb 27, 2009

The job category says "interpretation", so it is there in the job description, although it does not seem like a real interpretation job. I do not assume that "host/hostess" means " those "special" services others were wondering about, it is more likely a trade show and they need people at their booth or hospitality cubicle to give out flyers, catalogs and refreshments. Corporations regularly hire young people for that.
This job posting seems to target high school or college students (whic
... See more
The job category says "interpretation", so it is there in the job description, although it does not seem like a real interpretation job. I do not assume that "host/hostess" means " those "special" services others were wondering about, it is more likely a trade show and they need people at their booth or hospitality cubicle to give out flyers, catalogs and refreshments. Corporations regularly hire young people for that.
This job posting seems to target high school or college students (which seems appropriate to me, given that no experience is needed), the only strange thing is that as far as I know, Student members of ProZ cannot quote on jobs... So I think those that are wondering about this job posting, may have a point...
Collapse

Andreas Baranowski
Japan
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Host / hostess business at Proz Feb 27, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

The job category says "interpretation", so it is there in the job description

The job description says "interpreting job / inhouse position," which is a misrepresentation of the job described in the following, unless I am missing something. I am not concerned about "what else" it could mean. The only point I am trying to drive home is that if Proz understands itself as a place for language professionals, I don't see much of that reflected in a want-for a host/hostess with "no experience required." To put it plain, who at Proz, paying member or not, does or would want to recognize themselves in this description?

Regards
AB

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So true - bilingual doesn't automatically equal interpreter Feb 28, 2009

Andreas Baranowski wrote:

I have no problems whatsoever with Proz.com's commercial objectives but I don' t see how host/hostess (No experience required, is what the outsourcer says) cannot damage our profile as language professionals.

I agree entirely that this type of posting is inappropriate. They are looking for someone with no qualifications, no experience, who just happens to speak two languages reasonably well rather than just one - they aren't looking for a language professional, so they shouldn't be looking here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese to English - Bilingual Host/Hostess

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »