Im Spanish, just moved back to UK 6 months ago and looking to set myself up again as a freelance
Thread poster: EirTranslations
EirTranslations
EirTranslations  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 03:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 27, 2006

Hello all...its been a while since I have written in Proz. I was living in the Netherlands before and also in Spain where I was registered as a freelance translator. I am now currently studying for the IOL diploma and while I am doing thsi I would like to set myself up again as a freelance translator and begin accepting some assignments.

I have a regular daytime job at a bank (temp) although I have been in Uk for over 6 months now working and have a national insurance number. W
... See more
Hello all...its been a while since I have written in Proz. I was living in the Netherlands before and also in Spain where I was registered as a freelance translator. I am now currently studying for the IOL diploma and while I am doing thsi I would like to set myself up again as a freelance translator and begin accepting some assignments.

I have a regular daytime job at a bank (temp) although I have been in Uk for over 6 months now working and have a national insurance number. What do I have to do to set myself up? I mean registering, invoices, tax I have to pay etc?

I live in London (Paddington now) and would very much appreciate any help from any of you and also perhaps to meet up and form a nice friendship and maybe also a business relationship.

I am looking forward to going back to this full-time and have translated during the apst 11 years in defence, law, journalism but also for authors and I am myself an author.

Please can someone let me know how I can go about thsi so I can set myself up and start accepting small jobs for the moment and the rest of this year? Thanks!
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 05:01
Turkish to English
+ ...
Not much red tape in the UK Sep 27, 2006

I freelanced in the UK from 1999-2002. It is very easy to start trading as a 'sole trader' in Britain. You go to your local tax office, fill in a very simple form and you can start immediately. You can file your own tax return every year, again by filling out a relatively simple form. You don't have to register for VAT unless you have a very high turnover - I donn't know the current threshold but I think very few freelance translators make this kind of money. I would suggest you just head for yo... See more
I freelanced in the UK from 1999-2002. It is very easy to start trading as a 'sole trader' in Britain. You go to your local tax office, fill in a very simple form and you can start immediately. You can file your own tax return every year, again by filling out a relatively simple form. You don't have to register for VAT unless you have a very high turnover - I donn't know the current threshold but I think very few freelance translators make this kind of money. I would suggest you just head for your nearest tax office and ask - they will soon tell you what to do.Collapse

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Join ITI or CIoL Sep 27, 2006

Hello,

I'd advise you to join one of the above organisations. I'm an Associate of the ITI and used to belong to the Medical and Pharmaceutical Network. So, depending on your area of expertise, you could join a network group as it is a great way to meet up with people in the same field.

Many language events are organized in London, so you would be well-placed to meet up with other linguists.

Just do a search with "Institute of Translators and Interpreters
... See more
Hello,

I'd advise you to join one of the above organisations. I'm an Associate of the ITI and used to belong to the Medical and Pharmaceutical Network. So, depending on your area of expertise, you could join a network group as it is a great way to meet up with people in the same field.

Many language events are organized in London, so you would be well-placed to meet up with other linguists.

Just do a search with "Institute of Translators and Interpreters" on google, and you'll find the address/phone no. etc.

Good luck!

p.s. as for finding work as a freelancer, well that is another matter, it is NOT easy, I just hope you meet somebody in an ITI network who will put you on the right path.
Collapse

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Registering as self employed Sep 27, 2006

Hi there and welcome (back?) to the UK.

It is very easy to register as a self-employed (freelance) translator. You have to ring the Tax office for your area and you can register on the phone. Look under "Revenue and Customs" which is the new name for the tax authorities.

You will then start paying Nat. Ins. Contributions of approx £2 a week - though not sure you will have to as you also have a paid job.

You have to include all earnings in your tax return.
... See more
Hi there and welcome (back?) to the UK.

It is very easy to register as a self-employed (freelance) translator. You have to ring the Tax office for your area and you can register on the phone. Look under "Revenue and Customs" which is the new name for the tax authorities.

You will then start paying Nat. Ins. Contributions of approx £2 a week - though not sure you will have to as you also have a paid job.

You have to include all earnings in your tax return. The tax office will explain how it works, I found them very helpful.

Good luck!

Mary
(near Cambridge)
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Next steps Sep 27, 2006

I agree with Mary about registering, and with scruff about joining organisations, though search for
"Institute of Translation and Interpreting" not
"Institute of Translators and Interpreters"

The ITI also runs a series of training courses for new translators, and has regional groups, such as the ITI London Regional Group (also Googlable). (Let me sotto voce also declare an interest - I am involved with both)

EirTranslations
Ireland
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you fro the replies...samples of invoices for freelancers? Sep 27, 2006

Right, thanks for that. Found your replies quite helpful and will be contacting tax and revenues as well, so keeping fingers crossed...

I am a registered member of the Uk's Society of Author's and Translators Association so will be emailing them as well. Does anyone have a sample invoice for the Uk I could use for a freelancer (not a business or agency as I do not want to set myself up as that...at least not yet...) Would really appreciate that.

Regarding finding work
... See more
Right, thanks for that. Found your replies quite helpful and will be contacting tax and revenues as well, so keeping fingers crossed...

I am a registered member of the Uk's Society of Author's and Translators Association so will be emailing them as well. Does anyone have a sample invoice for the Uk I could use for a freelancer (not a business or agency as I do not want to set myself up as that...at least not yet...) Would really appreciate that.

Regarding finding work, I had been finding some work before and have some clients from abroad I may work with again, but I need to be able to invoice and right now I havent done anything about this...so I cant I believe, but I hope its not too hard. Have had a book published and translated a few books for other authors and publishing companies which is what I love to do best (if anyone has any ideas or knows of anyone that could use my services would be much appreciated). Any other ideas from those of you living in the UK?

Thanks!
Collapse

Serena Dorey (X)
Serena Dorey (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
Try Business Link Sep 27, 2006

I've been an associate member of ITI and the CIoL for a couple of years now, so I agree with Peter and scruff that it is worth joining one or both of these associations. In fact, I have recently booked a place on one of the ITI's CPD training courses on business practice in the new year...

I'm also in the process of setting up as a freelancer in the UK at the moment, having been working inhouse in Germany for the past two years. I recommend that you take a look at the Business Lin
... See more
I've been an associate member of ITI and the CIoL for a couple of years now, so I agree with Peter and scruff that it is worth joining one or both of these associations. In fact, I have recently booked a place on one of the ITI's CPD training courses on business practice in the new year...

I'm also in the process of setting up as a freelancer in the UK at the moment, having been working inhouse in Germany for the past two years. I recommend that you take a look at the Business Link website (www.businesslink.gov.uk), which has general advice on setting up a business in the UK, including information on tax, registering as self-employed, setting up a records system and advice on invoicing.

Good luck!

Serena
Collapse

EirTranslations
Ireland
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all, anyone working in a day job but also set up as a freelancer in UK Sep 28, 2006

This would be my current situation and though I have looked at the helpful links provided, there was nothing in there regarding tax, antional insurance etc if you are already employed by someone else (as in my case have a daytime job) and wish to pursue freelance translation out of office hours and as an extra income. i suppose I would not need to contribute to national insurance again though at the moment I am temping...any news on this? Thanks.

Bea

Serena Dorey (X)
Serena Dorey (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
Your local tax office should be able to tell you Sep 28, 2006

Hi Bea

Your best bet is to contact your local tax office - they should be able to advise you on what contributions you have to pay. It varies depending on your income and your personal circumstances so it's best to ask for advice.

Serena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Im Spanish, just moved back to UK 6 months ago and looking to set myself up again as a freelance

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »