Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I have no any references. Would you pls help?
Thread poster: Kirill Usoltsev (X)
Kirill Usoltsev (X)
Kirill Usoltsev (X)
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Jul 28, 2006

Hi to any kind person!

Im just starting as a freelancer and have no any references. The most of reliable agencies are need at least two references, but I have no any idea Pls help me!

Sincerely,

Kirill.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 13:33
English to Danish
You must work to get references Jul 28, 2006

That's the catch here - the client wants references, but as a newbie, you haven't got any.

However, how can you not have any references? I see that you have been translating philosophic literature and audio lectures since 2004 - who is your client? Wouldn't this be a reference?

Anyway, I don't give any references ever, although I could give a lot by now. My reason for doing so is partly that I don't want a potential client talking to a regular client of mine about my ra
... See more
That's the catch here - the client wants references, but as a newbie, you haven't got any.

However, how can you not have any references? I see that you have been translating philosophic literature and audio lectures since 2004 - who is your client? Wouldn't this be a reference?

Anyway, I don't give any references ever, although I could give a lot by now. My reason for doing so is partly that I don't want a potential client talking to a regular client of mine about my rates. I want to be free to negotiate my rates for this specific client.

Perhaps you should hold off on the 'most reliable agencies' for a bit, while you gather experience (and references) from other agencies.

Good luck in the business.

NB! References simply mean that you should tell the agency the name of another agency or direct client, for whom you have worked, so that the new agency can contact this client of yours and find out if the client was satisfied with your work, quality etc.

[Edited at 2006-07-28 18:46]
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 07:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
As we say in English: Jul 28, 2006

"You only get one chance to make a first impression."

Failing all else, your first 'reference' is your profile here on Proz.com.

In that profile, you say you do Russian to English and that, I quote: "I apply as a full-time (part-time) freelance traslator of English and Russian languages. I guarantee matching time bounds and making good translations. (...) I work hard and professional."

That profile, frankly, does not impress me; not because your credentia
... See more
"You only get one chance to make a first impression."

Failing all else, your first 'reference' is your profile here on Proz.com.

In that profile, you say you do Russian to English and that, I quote: "I apply as a full-time (part-time) freelance traslator of English and Russian languages. I guarantee matching time bounds and making good translations. (...) I work hard and professional."

That profile, frankly, does not impress me; not because your credentials are unworthy but because of the quality of the English.

Before you go looking for references - or even work - I'd suggest, with all due respect, that you get your act together and make sure your profile is absolutely error-free in your proclaimed target language(s).

MediaMatrix
Collapse

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
we are our own best references... Jul 28, 2006

Kirill Usoltsev wrote:
Hi to any kind person!
Im just starting as a freelancer and have no any references. The most of reliable agencies are need at least two references, but I have no any idea Pls help me!
Sincerely,
Kirill.

Your CV says you've been translating since 1998, so you do have the names of your past clients you can give as references.

Every message we post on a public site for "linguists and translators" such as this one can work as a reference either in our favor or against us. One thing that works in our favor and is used as a reference by other site users/potential outsourcers is to post messages without any grammatical, spelling, syntactical, lexicological etc... mistakes when we write in a language that we claim as a target language.
The same comment also applies to our proz profile and our resume/CV. If we claim to translate into English, then those too must be worded in flawless English.

good luck!
df

[Edited at 2006-07-29 19:57]

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Any good professional reference should suffice Jul 29, 2006

Hello Kirill,
Another idea wold be to use references or professional people that have known you for awhile and can vouch for your character and work thes ecna be from the medical academy you went to. It is OK to have different types of references, as you build a portfolio you can see about adding translation references. I started out in IT and do translating part-time and built up clientele. It takes time but you can do it.
You seem to have a good positive attitute and that can be as
... See more
Hello Kirill,
Another idea wold be to use references or professional people that have known you for awhile and can vouch for your character and work thes ecna be from the medical academy you went to. It is OK to have different types of references, as you build a portfolio you can see about adding translation references. I started out in IT and do translating part-time and built up clientele. It takes time but you can do it.
You seem to have a good positive attitute and that can be asset also. Use all your resources since you are starting out and you are bound to succeed.
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Translate only into your native language. Jul 29, 2006

Dear Kirill,

I would suggest that you only translate (offer your services as a translator/interpreter) into your native language - that language needs to be your target language.

And that is not English, correct? If I am wrong, please forgive me.

Looking at your CV as an outsourcer, I would hesitate to give you a job translating to English. I am not trying to be cruel, but that is how outsourcers would think looking at your profile/ CV. You might want to
... See more
Dear Kirill,

I would suggest that you only translate (offer your services as a translator/interpreter) into your native language - that language needs to be your target language.

And that is not English, correct? If I am wrong, please forgive me.

Looking at your CV as an outsourcer, I would hesitate to give you a job translating to English. I am not trying to be cruel, but that is how outsourcers would think looking at your profile/ CV. You might want to revise it to make it error-free and sound more natural. And again, in it offer your services only from English to Russian. (Again, I assume that this is your native language.)

Another thing. It takes a while to become successful. Some language pairs take longer than others. So, do not get discouraged. Hang in there.

Good luck!
Collapse

Paola Grochi
Paola Grochi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pretty much in the same situation Jul 31, 2006

Hi there!
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. Good to know I'm not the only one. I would recommend you to read some articles on proz database that were like enlightment to me.
They're under the "getting started" subject.
Anyway, would you guys be kind enough to review my profile as well??
THANX
Paola

Kirill Usoltsev (X)
Kirill Usoltsev (X)
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 31, 2006

Dear colleagues,

Many thanks for your kind notes and suggestions. Im really highly appreciate them all!
Especially Im grateful for you kind wishes in translation business! So, I'll try my best with native language firstly, as Lucinda suggest me. But I would like to ask Lucinda, what do you meant under "error-free"? Would you pls make it clear for me?

Reply to mediamatrix.
You wrote: "That profile, frankly, does not impress me"
So, I'm not try to impre
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Many thanks for your kind notes and suggestions. Im really highly appreciate them all!
Especially Im grateful for you kind wishes in translation business! So, I'll try my best with native language firstly, as Lucinda suggest me. But I would like to ask Lucinda, what do you meant under "error-free"? Would you pls make it clear for me?

Reply to mediamatrix.
You wrote: "That profile, frankly, does not impress me"
So, I'm not try to impress you or some one else. Im just tell the truth about myself in my profile and CV and that's all, and hope that truth will much more impressive than texts about how I'm great in translation field and so on, but anyway, thank you.

Reply to PCovs.
You wrote: However, how can you not have any references? I see that you have been translating philosophic literature and audio lectures since 2004 - who is your client? Wouldn't this be a reference?
Perhaps you should hold off on the 'most reliable agencies' for a bit, while you gather experience (and references) from other agencies.

You know, I'm working in non commercial translation projects and do not want to disturb that kind people with my private business things and second, you was absolutely right, telling me about so called "most reliable agencies". I need to hold them off for a while, that is true.

Reply to Alp.
You wrote: You seem to have a good positive attitute and that can be asset also. Use all your resources since you are starting out and you are bound to succeed.
Yes I'm!!!!Thaaaaaaanks a lot

Reply to df.
You wrote: Your CV says you've been translating since 1998, so you do have the names of your past clients you can give as references.
Would you pls see my reply to PCovs? It will be the same. Thanks.

Thanks again,

Kirill.
Collapse

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 04:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another good source for references is pro bono translations Jul 31, 2006

Most nonprofit organizations are happy to accept volunteer translations and will give you good references in return. This also gives you valuable experience and you can make a real contribution to any cause that you believe in. Do stick to your native language, though, so that your free work will be a worthy offering.

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
I do not like giving references Aug 1, 2006

PCovs wrote:

Anyway, I don't give any references ever, although I could give a lot by now. My reason for doing so is partly that I don't want a potential client talking to a regular client of mine about my rates. I want to be free to negotiate my rates for this specific client.

I also prefer not to give references for the reasons PCovs is giving and many others reasons (confidentiality...).

To these agencies which ask me for references, I explain why I do not want to reveal the name of my clients. I send them one or two translations I have made in the past (amony those which have been published, so that they are not confidential any longer) and, if absolutely necessary, agree to make a very short test translation (I try to avoid this).

Good luck!

Chademu

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestions for Paola Aug 1, 2006

Paola Grochi wrote:

Hi there!
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. Good to know I'm not the only one. I would recommend you to read some articles on proz database that were like enlightment to me.
They're under the "getting started" subject.
Anyway, would you guys be kind enough to review my profile as well??
THANX
Paola

Hi Paola,

Your profile is informative, but not to long. I just have a few small suggestions, some smaller than others. I used caps instead of quotation marks. Please let me know if you need clarification on any of the suggestions.

Title: 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE ALSO A TEACHER

1) I'm a little confused if you have 10 years of experience as a translator or as a teacher. I would suggest: 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS A TRANSLATOR; ALSO A TEACHER OR I ALSO HAVE 10 YEARS TEACHING EXPERIENCE

Paragraph 1

1) 10 yrs of experience as A part time...full time ESL (or English as a second language) teacher.

2) I'd change INFORMATIONAL WRITING, but I can't think of a suggestion off-hand.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by PAPER, but it doesn't sound quite right.

Paragraph 2

1) FIRST CERTIFICATE IN TRANSLATION: I'm not sure what you mean. Is that the name of the program? Did you get the highest grade in the certificate program?

2) CERTIFICATE IN PROFICIENCY IN ENGLISH: If that's no the title of the certificate, I'd change it to: CERTIFICATE: ENGLISH PROFICIENCY

3) I'd consider changing CERTIFICATE IN TEACHING ENGLISH TO YOUNG LEARNERS to CERTIFICATE: TEACHING ENGLISH TO YOUNG LEARNERS

Paragraph 4:

1) I'm not sure what the O in ESOL is. Here in the U.S., you hear about ESL (English as A Second Language) a lot.

2) I like Head Teacher better than Headteacher, but I think it's a matter of preference.

I hope you find my comments helpful!

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
+ ...
Answer to Kyrill Aug 3, 2006

With 'error-free' I mean that there should not be any mistakes in your CV.

Just an example from your post: I have no any references.
This should be: I do not have any references.

Sorry that I didn't write you back immediately. It got real hectic here at my office.

Good luck, Lucinda.

translatingl (X)
translatingl (X)
French to English
+ ...
Sorry to interfere in this discussion... Aug 8, 2006

Yes, I am sorry to interfere in this discussion. I didn't start it and probably don't have to give any answer to it, but I'm shocked by some replies.

I also want to start a career as a translator, and I worked hard for this, I studied English and German at the university and believe me, the levels were very difficult to reach, but I did reach them.

Therefore, when I read that a translator only has to use his/her own language and not any other, that completely drives me
... See more
Yes, I am sorry to interfere in this discussion. I didn't start it and probably don't have to give any answer to it, but I'm shocked by some replies.

I also want to start a career as a translator, and I worked hard for this, I studied English and German at the university and believe me, the levels were very difficult to reach, but I did reach them.

Therefore, when I read that a translator only has to use his/her own language and not any other, that completely drives me mad.

What is the point in learning other languages, in being passionate, if this means not to use them any more later on? Why?

I'm a French native, and a few translators who got in touch with me to, according to their own words, "help" me, did nothing but discouraging me. I expected all kinds of answers, but I didn't expect to be criticized and judged on my abilities. Yes, I am French, but if I am only allowed to use French whereas I want to become a translator, then this is definitely not the right job for me!

That's just my own opinion. Please go on with this conversation and once more, I am sorry to interfere in it, but I just felt I had to do it.
Collapse

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
This is Off Topic, but deserves an answer Aug 9, 2006

Dear colleague,
The advice you read here is generous, unbiased advice offered by professionals in the trade who know what the market is like and who earn their living by being aware of the market's demands and rules and pitfalls.
You may offer all the language combinations you choose - no one can stop you doing that and if you find customers who will pay you for that, where is the problem?
On the other hand, many of us choose, realistically and after experiencing hands-on how t
... See more
Dear colleague,
The advice you read here is generous, unbiased advice offered by professionals in the trade who know what the market is like and who earn their living by being aware of the market's demands and rules and pitfalls.
You may offer all the language combinations you choose - no one can stop you doing that and if you find customers who will pay you for that, where is the problem?
On the other hand, many of us choose, realistically and after experiencing hands-on how the market works, to concentrate on our specific skills. Surely that is a respectable and honest choice?
If you are offering to translate INTO another language, you should be 100% sure that the work you produce is on a par with what will be offered by a dominant speaker of that language, without grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and miscomprehension of the source text. It's exceedingly difficult for a native speaker to guarantee and I suspect even more difficult for a non-native.
Sadly, Utopia does not pay the bills and turning in work that is likely to be rejected on quality grounds is a surefire way of ruining a reputation, antagonising customers and possibly causing damage that can lead to legal proceedings.
Regards and chin up
Angela

translatinglady wrote:

Therefore, when I read that a translator only has to use his/her own language and not any other, that completely drives me mad.

What is the point in learning other languages, in being passionate, if this means not to use them any more later on? Why?

I'm a French native, and a few translators who got in touch with me to, according to their own words, "help" me, did nothing but discouraging me. I expected all kinds of answers, but I didn't expect to be criticized and judged on my abilities. Yes, I am French, but if I am only allowed to use French whereas I want to become a translator, then this is definitely not the right job for me!

That's just my own opinion. Please go on with this conversation and once more, I am sorry to interfere in it, but I just felt I had to do it.
Collapse

Galina F
Galina F
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
you are not interfereing, I guess:) Aug 9, 2006

Dear TranslationLady,
I cannot say that I am a very experienced translator and I am almost in the same conditions as you are (starting my freelance career), I just felt I want to answer to your thoughts.
This is only an opinion (maybe a right one) that a translator should translate only into his/her native language. In some ways it is right, but if you are very well in the foreign language and you get orders, why not? Be encouraged:))
Soo.. my best wishes to you and hi to the b
... See more
Dear TranslationLady,
I cannot say that I am a very experienced translator and I am almost in the same conditions as you are (starting my freelance career), I just felt I want to answer to your thoughts.
This is only an opinion (maybe a right one) that a translator should translate only into his/her native language. In some ways it is right, but if you are very well in the foreign language and you get orders, why not? Be encouraged:))
Soo.. my best wishes to you and hi to the beautiful France:)
Mes meilleures salutations:)
Galina
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have no any references. Would you pls help?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »