Malcolm Rowe
Malcolm Rowe
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:57
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conveyancer reckons it is unlikely to be enforced Aug 5, 2021

Thanks for all your comments, and sorry for not responding earlier but all of Proz's notifications went to my junk mail.

I did ask my conveyancer and they replied:
"In respect of the covenant, though technically a breach it all practically [in all practicality???] it is unlikely to be enforced. This kind of covenant was originally put in place to prevent nuisance/ noise of someone using a residential property as a place of business."

I also phoned the council and
... See more
Thanks for all your comments, and sorry for not responding earlier but all of Proz's notifications went to my junk mail.

I did ask my conveyancer and they replied:
"In respect of the covenant, though technically a breach it all practically [in all practicality???] it is unlikely to be enforced. This kind of covenant was originally put in place to prevent nuisance/ noise of someone using a residential property as a place of business."

I also phoned the council and the person I spoke to said that they would check with the relevant colleagues and get back to me. I have not heard anything further.
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Depends where you are Aug 5, 2021

You don't say where you are. In São Paulo zoning laws are extremely tough.
This has led to some ridiculous situations, like one district where you need to go 5km to buy bread. In another case a request for two underground stations was refused because of zoning issues and the fact that the wealthy people didn't want people from outside in the region.
Outside residential areas (Z1), you should have no problem . Another no-no is preserved areas. Technically no buildings at all are allo
... See more
You don't say where you are. In São Paulo zoning laws are extremely tough.
This has led to some ridiculous situations, like one district where you need to go 5km to buy bread. In another case a request for two underground stations was refused because of zoning issues and the fact that the wealthy people didn't want people from outside in the region.
Outside residential areas (Z1), you should have no problem . Another no-no is preserved areas. Technically no buildings at all are allowed, meaning that people have to go 30km to find a bank! What houses exist are either illegal or were there before the zoning laws.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Under his name... Aug 6, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:

You don't say where you are.

That's where he is...

Malcolm Rowe
Malcolm Rowe
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm in the UK Aug 11, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:

You don't say where you are.

as in the note by my name.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oh yeah? Aug 11, 2021

Paul Dixon wrote:

..... In São Paulo zoning laws are extremely tough.... Technically no buildings at all are allowed....

Except for these in Paraisopolis (Sao Paulo):

portrait_page

[Edited at 2021-08-11 13:08 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Restrictive covenant in house deed prohibits trade or business

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »