Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
backspace key got stuck...14 pages lost!!!
Thread poster: ADSTRAD
Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
backups Apr 28, 2004

I am so very sorry for you. That is awful! Anyway, I do not trust computers (I used to work as a technician...), so what I do is creating a backup folder and every 15 minutes or so I do:
save as
Name: backup_1
and then I save again as the document I was working in and continue. The next time I will save as backup_2, etc. At the end I have plenty of files, but if the file gets corrupt I will never loose too much. (or if your cat wants attention). After I handed my work in, I de
... See more
I am so very sorry for you. That is awful! Anyway, I do not trust computers (I used to work as a technician...), so what I do is creating a backup folder and every 15 minutes or so I do:
save as
Name: backup_1
and then I save again as the document I was working in and continue. The next time I will save as backup_2, etc. At the end I have plenty of files, but if the file gets corrupt I will never loose too much. (or if your cat wants attention). After I handed my work in, I delete everything but the the final version of course.
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 28, 2004

My rule of thumb is to do a save for every 15 - 30 minutes of work. I have never lost more than that - and the second time around it takes about half the time anyway.

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:50
English to Spanish
My own rule of thumb... Apr 28, 2004

... is to save all the time. My fingers just do the saving shortcut (Ctrl-G in my version) about every 2 minutes. This means that I end up with about one million temp files, but I hardly ever lose more than one paragraph or so.

Anyway, cats do have a thing for PCs; the little rascals seem to be fascinated by computers because they have these interesting lights and make those funny noises. Mine keeps on pushing my printer's buttons... very annoying, but it has not made me lose any wo
... See more
... is to save all the time. My fingers just do the saving shortcut (Ctrl-G in my version) about every 2 minutes. This means that I end up with about one million temp files, but I hardly ever lose more than one paragraph or so.

Anyway, cats do have a thing for PCs; the little rascals seem to be fascinated by computers because they have these interesting lights and make those funny noises. Mine keeps on pushing my printer's buttons... very annoying, but it has not made me lose any work so far. But it's better to try to keep them away from keyboards, and push the keyboard tray out of sight when you leave your desk.
Collapse

Sylvia Cambray
Sylvia Cambray  Identity Verified
Spanish
+ ...
Software against cats Apr 28, 2004

This software utility helps protect your computer from cat's steps: http://www.bitboost.com/pawsense/

Sylvia

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:50
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does it work for kids??? Apr 29, 2004

Sylvia Cambray wrote:

This software utility helps protect your computer from cat's steps: http://www.bitboost.com/pawsense/

Sylvia

They do not dare to touch my PC, but you never know... Better safe than sorry!!!

I hope you have not killed the poor kitten, Caroline. I would have!

Good luck!
Andrea

ADSTRAD
ADSTRAD  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NEWS FROM THE CAT May 11, 2004

I hesitated a long time to decide if I should kill that poor kitten, but in the end, I believe it is a very special one that does not deserve such a miserable end. I just got it back from the SPA (French RSPCA) (40 euros, thanks again sweetie), because the stupid one managed to get trapped inside the engine of a car... the merciful driver took notice after 5 kilometers... what next ?

Leopoldo Gurman
Leopoldo Gurman
United States
Local time: 06:50
English to Spanish
Paranoid backups and cat shooting Apr 2, 2005

I usually make a backup within the computer and another one out of it, just in case. I´ve had a few hard disks dying on me (worked with computers for a while), and I´ve seen and made horrible mistakes (learning to work with computers =:), including erasing my father´s whole client database (I got away with it only because they had backups and because I was a kid then).
If you have really important data, you may want to consider also having a backup copy at another phisical location (rel
... See more
I usually make a backup within the computer and another one out of it, just in case. I´ve had a few hard disks dying on me (worked with computers for a while), and I´ve seen and made horrible mistakes (learning to work with computers =:), including erasing my father´s whole client database (I got away with it only because they had backups and because I was a kid then).
If you have really important data, you may want to consider also having a backup copy at another phisical location (relatives and friends can be of aid in this matter, or you may do it on the Net). Just take into account the risk of loosing every single bit.
At home I have a network, so I just save a copy of my work into another machine. If I´m working with my laptop, I use a memory stick (a floppy or RW-CDROM will do also).
Finally, if you change your mind and decide to shoot the cat (I hope you don´t), don´t do it while it´s on the computer =:)
Best regards!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

backspace key got stuck...14 pages lost!!!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »