Thread poster: Scott de Lesseps
Scott de Lesseps
Scott de Lesseps  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:03
French to English
Nov 4, 2003

Hello,
Can anyone tell me what the protocol is for translating school transcripts? My client faxed me the transcripts (which I paid $5.00 to receive on my end), and much of it is illegible. I hate to keep making him pay for faxing (if he doesn't have free access to a fax). The only other options I can think of are scanning the documents, and sending them electronically, or using efax.com, which someone on another site recommended. I signed up with an account with efax.com, but I don't know
... See more
Hello,
Can anyone tell me what the protocol is for translating school transcripts? My client faxed me the transcripts (which I paid $5.00 to receive on my end), and much of it is illegible. I hate to keep making him pay for faxing (if he doesn't have free access to a fax). The only other options I can think of are scanning the documents, and sending them electronically, or using efax.com, which someone on another site recommended. I signed up with an account with efax.com, but I don't know if it will come out more clearly with that or not (and the client may have to pay to fax to that number also). If he scans the documents and sends them, would they have to be in a PDF format? If so, then would I have to have Acrobat Writer? Is this a viable, and advisable option?

Also, what about the format? Does the original format have to be duplicated, or just imitated? He also included a diploma, so what does one do in that case? Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott
Collapse

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
faxes Nov 4, 2003

efax should give the same quality as the illegible fax you received, it's basically an electronic facsimile of the original. if you don't have a fax machine, like myself, it's free and works great (I've used it 3 times this month). The client sends to that number like a normal fax so I don't think he's charged for it.

As far as format, I stick to as near as possible to the original. When deviating, I make it logical, so the person reading the new document can easily glance back a
... See more
efax should give the same quality as the illegible fax you received, it's basically an electronic facsimile of the original. if you don't have a fax machine, like myself, it's free and works great (I've used it 3 times this month). The client sends to that number like a normal fax so I don't think he's charged for it.

As far as format, I stick to as near as possible to the original. When deviating, I make it logical, so the person reading the new document can easily glance back and forth from the original to the translation and see that they correspond. Hope this helps.
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:03
English to Polish
+ ...
Buy a modem Nov 5, 2003

These days telephone modems are rarely used for internet connections, but they work OK as faxes, and they cost peanuts. But this will hardly solve a quality problem. Scan + e-mail is much better (the sending party can check and adjust quality).

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Several issues here Nov 5, 2003

1. The client may not have access to a scanner and program to create pdf files. If the client is in the US, it might be simpler if he/she makes a xerographic copy (less distortion than a fax) and sends the docs via overnight mail.
2. You really should have some sort of fax facility, either a fax modem (your present modem might have this capability, read the manual) or a separate device or e-fax, since there are a lot of hard-copy only documents that need to be translated. Although I have a
... See more
1. The client may not have access to a scanner and program to create pdf files. If the client is in the US, it might be simpler if he/she makes a xerographic copy (less distortion than a fax) and sends the docs via overnight mail.
2. You really should have some sort of fax facility, either a fax modem (your present modem might have this capability, read the manual) or a separate device or e-fax, since there are a lot of hard-copy only documents that need to be translated. Although I have a stand-alone fax machine, I use e-fax for my incoming faxes, as I can retrieve my faxes even when I'm away from my office, as they arrive via e-mail.

3. Regarding the formatting of the documents, I agree with the comment that although you need not follow the format exactly (sometimes it's impossible, due to varying font sizes, complicated layout), you should structure your format so that the reader can easily relate the translation to the original document.
Hope this helps,
Kevin
Collapse

Scott de Lesseps
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
How to charge? Nov 5, 2003

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone!
I do have another question related to the same topic. Much of the transcript is in table format, and it's full of numbers. There are really more numbers than words, overall. So I wanted to get opinions on how to charge for something like this. I will probably do it in Word, in table format. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

As for the diploma, is translating just the text sufficient, or does the whole docume
... See more
Thanks for all the helpful info everyone!
I do have another question related to the same topic. Much of the transcript is in table format, and it's full of numbers. There are really more numbers than words, overall. So I wanted to get opinions on how to charge for something like this. I will probably do it in Word, in table format. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

As for the diploma, is translating just the text sufficient, or does the whole document need to be "imitated"? Thanks a lot.

Scott
Collapse

Maria-Jose Pastor
Maria-Jose Pastor
English to Spanish
+ ...
minimums Nov 9, 2003

In so far as these "short" documents,I always charge a minimum. word rate with a minimum charge. As for the format, I always try to imitate the original format as close as possible. As other collegues have mentioned, so the reader of the translation can look at both documents and see what is what.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
For these type of jobs... Nov 9, 2003

...clients pay me US$50 per document minimum(which is the same rate law firms charge for the service).

If a complicated format is involved, I charge by the hour (typically 2 hours in the case of transcripts).

[Edited at 2003-11-09 14:41]

Scott de Lesseps
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
transcript charges Nov 10, 2003

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

...clients pay me US$50 per document minimum(which is the same rate law firms charge for the service).

Do you mean $50 per page? Thanks.

Scott

AndrzejwBuffalo
AndrzejwBuffalo
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
Translation of School Transcripts Nov 15, 2003

Sometimes we get so hung up on trying to get something immediately that we end up spending more time than we would by receiving a decent copy through the regular mail !

Ask the client to make the best copy they can and to pop it in an envelope.

Andy Golebiowski
Buffalo, NY
USA

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of School Transcripts

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »