Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 12, 2009

I don't know if this is the best way to do this, but I would like to inform you to beware of what seems to be a variation of the traditional Nigerian scams, although much more honest-looking as it involves names of British solicitors and institutions. All relevant names and data have been omitted. Has anyone else received anything like this?

(address of law firm)
Contact person: (name of solicitor) QC

Dear...

My Name is (name of solicitor) QC.
... See more
I don't know if this is the best way to do this, but I would like to inform you to beware of what seems to be a variation of the traditional Nigerian scams, although much more honest-looking as it involves names of British solicitors and institutions. All relevant names and data have been omitted. Has anyone else received anything like this?

(address of law firm)

Dear...

My Name is (name of solicitor) QC. I am a solicitor with (law firm, including London address) and personal attorney to (name) who died with his family in the July, 2000 Air France crash. For your confirmations visit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/859479.stm

Although my client left no record of any next of kin but I have made several enquiries to locate any of my clients extended relatives which had proved unsuccessful.

As a matter of fact, he had a fixed time deposit of (cash value) with a finance house here in United Kingdom and stocks worth (cash value) being managed by his stockbrokers.

Consequently, the Finance house has issued me a notice to provide my client's next of kin or have the fund liquidated within a short time. Based on my unsuccessful search for his relatives for the past Seven years now and for the fact that you bear the same last name with my late client, I therefore seek your consent to present you as the next of kin/inheritor to my deceased client, so that the money will be transferred to your account for us to share upon approval.

As his personal Attorney I have all the legal documents and all it tak es to back-up this claims and to convincingly present you to the bank as the next of kin to my late client without trouble.

All I require is your honest cooperation. I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement. And no government involvement at all. For more information about me please visit (website).

Be assured that this transaction will be done under a legal arrangement and there will be no hitch at any stage. Please know that any form of picture identification is required from you. I will be following the due processes of applying for a transfer from the financial institution where the funds are deposited. Consequent upon the confirmation of the terms of my legal consultation, I shall go to Her Majesty's Court Service to swear an affidavit of claim that would legally present you as the next of kin.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Your full name
2. Your full address
3. Your private phone and fax numbers
4. Occupation
5. Marital status
6. Age
7. Identity (Drivers License or International passport).

Finally, I want you to confirm your readiness and willingness to work with me in this transaction. You shall exert full control over your share of the funds after it is transferred hence it requires a certain level of confidentiality. I am obliged to provide all the legal assistance hence there is no need for a third-party or attorney. I anticipate of your most wonderful cooperation and understanding. Please acknowledge the receipt of this email.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

(name of solicitor) QC

Please get back to me through this mail address ASAP (e-mail address supplied)

Another strange fact was that this e-mail came to my account, although it was addressed to another name.

I know Proz.com is not involved in this in any way, but just thought I would like to warn fellow translators about this.
Collapse

nortranslate (X)
nortranslate (X)
Norway
Local time: 14:09
English to Norwegian
+ ...
...don't even consider sending anything....!!!!! Jan 12, 2009

Thank you Paul, for sharing the warning.

I received a similar looking e-mail a month back. Never replied.
This is a typical Nigerian scam (one of them).

If any of you should fall for the temptation, beware of the following:
- They will try to/can empty you bank account
- They might send you money - yes - sometimes a lot of money.
- They may request a fee for something - to sort out some paperwork or blah, blah....

There have been re
... See more
Thank you Paul, for sharing the warning.

I received a similar looking e-mail a month back. Never replied.
This is a typical Nigerian scam (one of them).

If any of you should fall for the temptation, beware of the following:
- They will try to/can empty you bank account
- They might send you money - yes - sometimes a lot of money.
- They may request a fee for something - to sort out some paperwork or blah, blah....

There have been reports of people receiving money. If you do, refuse to receive it and go directly to the police. If not, the police will come to you.
This is money laundering. And you are the bad guy. Remember it is your name, photo, passport details, bank account etc.
Collapse

Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 08:09
Norwegian to English
Fortunately, these people always give themselves away ... Jan 12, 2009

... because no British QC would produce such appallingly bad English grammar!

Cheers,
Geoff

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Old Jan 12, 2009

Actually, nothing new here, the same old scheme.

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:09
English to French
+ ...
!!! Jan 12, 2009

Paul Dixon wrote:

(address of law firm)

Dear...

My Name is (name of solicitor) QC. I am a solicitor with (law firm, including London address) and personal attorney to (name) who died with his family in the July, 2000 Air France crash. For your confirmations visit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/859479.stm

Although my client left no record of any next of kin but I have made several enquiries to locate any of my clients extended relatives which had proved unsuccessful.

As a matter of fact, he had a fixed time deposit of (cash value) with a finance house here in United Kingdom and stocks worth (cash value) being managed by his stockbrokers.

Consequently, the Finance house has issued me a notice to provide my client's next of kin or have the fund liquidated within a short time. Based on my unsuccessful search for his relatives for the past Seven years now and for the fact that you bear the same last name with my late client, I therefore seek your consent to present you as the next of kin/inheritor to my deceased client, so that the money will be transferred to your account for us to share upon approval.

As his personal Attorney I have all the legal documents and all it tak es to back-up this claims and to convincingly present you to the bank as the next of kin to my late client without trouble.

All I require is your honest cooperation. I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement. And no government involvement at all. For more information about me please visit (website).

Be assured that this transaction will be done under a legal arrangement and there will be no hitch at any stage. Please know that any form of picture identification is required from you. I will be following the due processes of applying for a transfer from the financial institution where the funds are deposited. Consequent upon the confirmation of the terms of my legal consultation, I shall go to Her Majesty's Court Service to swear an affidavit of claim that would legally present you as the next of kin.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Your full name
2. Your full address
3. Your private phone and fax numbers
4. Occupation
5. Marital status
6. Age
7. Identity (Drivers License or International passport).

Finally, I want you to confirm your readiness and willingness to work with me in this transaction. You shall exert full control over your share of the funds after it is transferred hence it requires a certain level of confidentiality. I am obliged to provide all the legal assistance hence there is no need for a third-party or attorney. I anticipate of your most wonderful cooperation and understanding. Please acknowledge the receipt of this email.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

(name of solicitor) QC

Please get back to me through this mail address ASAP (e-mail address supplied)

Another strange fact was that this e-mail came to my account, although it was addressed to another name.

I know Proz.com is not involved in this in any way, but just thought I would like to warn fellow translators about this.

The money isn't yours, and they proposing you to steal it ! Official names or not anyone who falls for this deserves it ! As they are clearly proposing you to do a felony !

Magdalena Szewciów
Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Huh Jan 13, 2009

Sadly, this is an old scam, so to speak.

I got a very similar letter to translate from an old man that came to our office. Well, we translated it but warned him after browsing serveral pages on the net.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On Magdalena's comment Jan 13, 2009

With regard to Magdalena's comment, I would just like to point out that in my case the aim of the e-mail was not to translate anything, but just to ask me to take part in the scheme. As I said, the difference this time is that no African country was mentioned, but rather a law firm with a London address - to make more people fall into the trap, I would guess.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Report it to the law firm - if it exists Jan 13, 2009

Yes, this is clearly a scam. Have you considered reporting it to the law firm named - if it exists?
Best wishes,
Jenny

P.S. I don't think a QC (barrister) would call himself a solicitor, would he?

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What money? Jan 13, 2009

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

The money isn't yours, and they proposing you to steal it ! Official names or not anyone who falls for this deserves it ! As they are clearly proposing you to do a felony !

What money, Mohamed? There is no money they would or could give you. They want your money instead! These scams have been around for ages.

nortranslate (X)
nortranslate (X)
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
What money? Jan 13, 2009

LittleBalu wrote: What money?

I would not be surprised if you actually would get money if you - and of course you will not - should play along.
And when you receive the money, you are in it up to your neck!
If they send money they have stolen it from someone - in your name, and want you transfer most of it back to them via Western Union or similar.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new kind of scam

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »