Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
why do people thank me when I agree with their answer?
Thread poster: Lidia Maurutto (X)
slmxyz
slmxyz  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 06:48
Turkish to German
+ ...
I totally agree the first poster Aug 19, 2011

Well I think Proz.com should add a "thank you" button for that matter. I personally don't have the time to write "thank you" 50+ times a day. You post a question, you thank everybody that help you, everbody that helps you have to thank each person , who agrees them (sometimes people give a thank you back, to those who thanked them) and a final thank you comes when you choose the terminology that actually helped you.

I don't want to be rude or something but I just do not think that
... See more
Well I think Proz.com should add a "thank you" button for that matter. I personally don't have the time to write "thank you" 50+ times a day. You post a question, you thank everybody that help you, everbody that helps you have to thank each person , who agrees them (sometimes people give a thank you back, to those who thanked them) and a final thank you comes when you choose the terminology that actually helped you.

I don't want to be rude or something but I just do not think that it is really sincere or polite to do so. It seems futile to me. People do not interact with each other, they're just thanking each other all the time?? Where is the point? This also remembers me of the "like" button in facebook.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Common decency Aug 19, 2011

In addition to helping people out, the point-scoring nature of kudoz has the effect on some (myself included) of stimulating the competitive aspect, so that when your solution is chosen as "most helpful" it's like getting a pat on the back, reaffirming your efforts, which is somehow comforting in an increasingly business-obsessed, often thankless world.

I might not always have time go back to look at questions I've answered, but when I do, I like to thank the people who agree with m
... See more
In addition to helping people out, the point-scoring nature of kudoz has the effect on some (myself included) of stimulating the competitive aspect, so that when your solution is chosen as "most helpful" it's like getting a pat on the back, reaffirming your efforts, which is somehow comforting in an increasingly business-obsessed, often thankless world.

I might not always have time go back to look at questions I've answered, but when I do, I like to thank the people who agree with me, just as I was brought up to do elsewhere... but I don't see it as rude if I don't thank everybody, every time. Life's just too short....
Collapse

kalap (X)
kalap (X)
why do people thank me when I agree with their answer? Aug 19, 2011

I agree. This is totally ridiculous. Thank you.

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:48
German to English
Three previous discussions... Aug 19, 2011

...on the same topic:

http://www.proz.c
... See more
...on the same topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/30065-etiquette:_thanking_everyone_who_agrees_with_you.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/93133-alice_and_bob_and_carol:_thanking_agreers_in_kudoz.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/101308-should_we_thank_agreers.html

[Edited at 2011-08-19 23:15 GMT]
Collapse

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:48
German to English
+ ...
another one Aug 20, 2011

Thanks Andrew, found another similar one

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/34420-how_can_i_thank_the_people_who_agree_with_a_kudoz_answer.html

The upshot seems to be that most people like to thank and be thanked for their agrees, a significant majority does not, for various reasons.

Maybe we should j
... See more
Thanks Andrew, found another similar one

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/34420-how_can_i_thank_the_people_who_agree_with_a_kudoz_answer.html

The upshot seems to be that most people like to thank and be thanked for their agrees, a significant majority does not, for various reasons.

Maybe we should just put it down to personal preference instead of politeness and move on. This is apparently an issue that can't be resolved.

I do think that askers should be considerate enough to thank the people who participated in finding an answer, though. After all, it's often a community effort, and only one person (if any) walks away with the points.
Collapse

Vesna Maširević
Vesna Maširević  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2011)
English to Serbian
+ ...
. Aug 20, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

They don't thank when someone disagrees with them, do they? Even though the effort put into disagreeing is usually greater (as you need to substantiate your opinion).

Actually, I've seen people thank for disagree and its no-hard-feelings variant - neutral and I see it as a display of arrogance. Maybe I'm wrong but it's not telling me - thank you for taking time to read my answer but more like 'yeah, that's your opinion, thank you for nothing'. But maybe it's just me?

Serdar Domurcuk wrote:

Well I think Proz.com should add a "thank you" button for that matter. I personally don't have the time to write "thank you" 50+ times a day.
I don't want to be rude or something but I just do not think that it is really sincere or polite to do so. It seems futile to me. People do not interact with each other, they're just thanking each other all the time?? Where is the point? This also remembers me of the "like" button in facebook.

Probably the thanks are not always sincere but I for one appreciate anyone confirming my answers and/or making useful comments.

As for not having the time to thank and needing the button for it. .. Seriously... It's enough to click in the space for response and your browser should provide previously typed texts and save you from typing. It's actually the same as if there was a thank you button for which reason I agree that the entire thing gives little to the concept of real interaction..

On the other hand, I believe we should have a thank you button but one that could be used by everyone to thank the answerers for their useful inputs (without implying whether the answer is correct or not).

[Edited at 2011-08-20 17:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-20 17:13 GMT]

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 01:48
French to English
+ ...
group dynamics Aug 21, 2011

It is unfortunate but KudoZ does create some weird to very negative group dynamics, usually thanks to a minority of individuals, but they are there.

The "thank you" issue is nothing compared to some individuals who simply hurl insults in the "discussion" box or along with their answers, such as implying the asker hasn't done any research, etc., when they know nothing about the asker.

There are a few individuals who are so stupid as to think if they might know one answe
... See more
It is unfortunate but KudoZ does create some weird to very negative group dynamics, usually thanks to a minority of individuals, but they are there.

The "thank you" issue is nothing compared to some individuals who simply hurl insults in the "discussion" box or along with their answers, such as implying the asker hasn't done any research, etc., when they know nothing about the asker.

There are a few individuals who are so stupid as to think if they might know one answer, every other translator in the world should know it too. Understanding that each individual has a different realm of knowledge in their heads is impossible for such people, not because they lack language skills, but because of how warped and narrow their little minds are about the most basic facts concerning human beings. Understanding that each person has to work in different contexts of time constraints and availability of resources is not possible for these stupid ProZ members.

There are all kinds of translators on ProZ, some are really nasty and just as petty and stupid as can be. I've simply told some of the worse ones not to participate in my questions. Fortunately, there are plenty of "normal" ones too, and among those some wonderful people too.
Collapse

Leif Henriksen
Leif Henriksen  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Uhm - 50+ times a day? Sep 1, 2011

Serdar Domurcuk wrote:

I personally don't have the time to write "thank you" 50+ times a day.

It is good for you that you don't need to, then. From your KudoZ-history, it is hard to understand why you would need to engage yourself in thanking anyone more than 50 times a day.

I guess you could have found the time to extend a thank for the one single instance of 'agree' you have recieved among your eight answers offered, but then again: It is definitely acceptable to choose not to do.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Do unto others... Sep 1, 2011

As mentioned above, the most important universal rule and quoted by all religions.

My advice to Swedish friends intending to visit Britain is: Remember that please, thank you and excuse me are the most important words in the English language.

Swedish doesn't really have a word for 'please', but their thank you is used frequently.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Another thing Sep 1, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

Dave Bindon wrote:

Anyway, I don't think it's necessarily "thanks for agreeing with me in the argument", more "thanks for taking time to think about my answer".

No, it is not. They don't thank when someone disagrees with them, do they? Even though the effort put into disagreeing is usually greater (as you need to substantiate your opinion).

[Edited at 2011-08-18 14:26 GMT]

If talking politeness, often times you will see the asker selecting an answer without thanking anyone. IMO, a thank you would be more relevant there, than in case of agrees with an answer among participants.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:48
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
So true. Sep 1, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:
If talking politeness, often times you will see the asker selecting an answer without thanking anyone. IMO, a thank you would be more relevant there, than in case of agrees with an answer among participants.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

why do people thank me when I agree with their answer?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »