Thread poster: Davidj (X)
Davidj (X)
Davidj (X)  Identity Verified

Local time: 21:35
English to Irish
+ ...
Oct 14, 2012

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had advice at maintaining fluency in your second language. I continue to talk to Irish natives but I was wondering if anyone else had more ideas. So far here is what I have come up with:

1. watching Irish(Gaeilge) tv

2. Listening to Irish radio

3. Teaching students

4. Creating and recording dialogue

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:35
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Take notes Oct 15, 2012

When I was learning English I too used to watch TV and listen to talk shows on the radio and I found it very helpful to take notes as well in order to learn phrasal verbs, idioms etc...

Allyson Sigman
Allyson Sigman
United States
Local time: 21:35
Member (2018)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Irish...that's tuff Jan 24, 2013

If you spoke a more widely used language, I would have some tips for you. But Gaelic, as far as I know, is more or less dying out. From what I have been told, you would be hard pressed to find people who consider themselves native speakers of Irish.

That being said, remember the 4 main subject groups in any language: speaking, listening, reading, writing. You seem to be focusing mostly on the first two. What about finding some old gaelic texts and translating them. Or starting a blo
... See more
If you spoke a more widely used language, I would have some tips for you. But Gaelic, as far as I know, is more or less dying out. From what I have been told, you would be hard pressed to find people who consider themselves native speakers of Irish.

That being said, remember the 4 main subject groups in any language: speaking, listening, reading, writing. You seem to be focusing mostly on the first two. What about finding some old gaelic texts and translating them. Or starting a blog in gaelic.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintaining Fluency

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »