Can anyone recommend a good CV tuner/editor?
Thread poster: Claudia Vale
Claudia Vale
Claudia Vale  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Sep 21, 2006

Hi everyone. Since I became a translator last year, I have gradually added my translation experience to my existing CV but I am aware that it has a tacked-on appearance. What I need is some help in transforming my CV into a tailor-made translator's CV.
Can you recommend a company which might offer this service?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try monster.com Sep 21, 2006

Claudia Vale wrote:
Can you recommend a company which might offer this service?

Or, you can read the knowledge base at monster.co.uk. Try Career Advice -> Articles on the menu near the top of the page.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 07:55
Our own KB Sep 21, 2006

There are a number of articles here in the Proz Knowledge Base regarding CVs - worth a look.

Claudia Vale
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Have found relevant articles in Proz KB. Sep 21, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions. I've started looking through the relevant articles published on this website.

Now for the hard part - transforming my CV into a perfect marketing tool. ;o)

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:55
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
a few other links, mostly from Proz Sep 22, 2006

You might also want to look at old threads in Proz forums. For instance the "TLDR" syndrome (resume too long) is mentioned in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/topic/37980

Some of the other
... See more
You might also want to look at old threads in Proz forums. For instance the "TLDR" syndrome (resume too long) is mentioned in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/topic/37980

Some of the other Proz threads I've found useful are these:
http://www.proz.com/topic/27771
http://www.proz.com/topic/19067
http://www.proz.com/topic/27395

You can also find other threads with the Forum search function.

Finally, the site below has the disadvantage of being too general, but I have benefited from some tips on various pages.
One interesting page is below:
Functional vs. Chronological Resumes
http://www.job-hunting-tips.com/career-centre/center_5.html

Good luck.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Waste-paper basket Sep 22, 2006

If you are looking for customers rather than an in-house position, dump your CV.

Start with a blank page and begin by describing your services. Support this description with information on your background that is relevant to selling those services. You will doubtless include a lot of the information that is on your existing CV, but frankly, the structure and underlying philosophy of a CV only get in the way of a marketing-oriented approach.

Marc

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
CV = apply for job, résumé = find a client Sep 22, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:
If you are looking for customers rather than an in-house position, dump your CV.

Marc has a point. The long style CV which is often required by companies who employ people, is not suited for finding clients. Use a short résumé that focuses on what you can do, instead of who you are and where you've been.

My own CV does not follow the traditional style, but is still four pages long. My résumé is a single page.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Can anyone recommend a good CV tuner/editor? Sep 22, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

CV = apply for job, résumé = find a client

Is this a South African distinction, Samuel? Brits say CV, Americans tend to say résumé.

I suggest something like "profile of services".

Marc

Claudia Vale
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How about the jobs I have done using my languages? Sep 24, 2006

I'm interested to hear suggestions about long and short forms of my CV. I only became a freelance translator last year but over the ten years or so prior to that, I used my languages in various jobs - IT, tourism, education... Translation was an intrinsic part of these jobs.

I think the difficulty is knowing how to present this experience whilst remaining concise and to the point.
However, I will take at look at all the various links suggested and do some research. Thank yo
... See more
I'm interested to hear suggestions about long and short forms of my CV. I only became a freelance translator last year but over the ten years or so prior to that, I used my languages in various jobs - IT, tourism, education... Translation was an intrinsic part of these jobs.

I think the difficulty is knowing how to present this experience whilst remaining concise and to the point.
However, I will take at look at all the various links suggested and do some research. Thank you all very much for your advice.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes and no Sep 24, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
CV = apply for job, résumé = find a client

Is this a South African distinction, Samuel? Brits say CV, Americans tend to say résumé.

Actually, these two terms represent quite a mine field. The word "résumé" is used very little in South Africa. What companies may do when they require a short CV is to request a "shortened CV", but I have seen job ads asking for shortened CVs of "no more than 4 pages" -- I would hate to see the non-shortened version!

Another difficulty is that the word "curriculum vitae" when used by acadmics mean a document of several pages detailing every publication in which they had published, and/or any project in which they had a minor role. It is not uncommon to see such CVs of 20 or 30 pages.

Having taken a look at sites telling you how to write a CV or résumé, I have found that most British sites using the word "curriculum vitae" refer to a longer document and use the word "résumé" for a shorter document. I'm aware that the term "curriculum vitae" is not common in the US... but do US résumés generally include everything that is included in a British CV anyway?

[Edited at 2006-09-24 16:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone recommend a good CV tuner/editor?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »