Newbie needing second opinion on possible gig.
Thread poster: Guilherme Piper
Guilherme Piper
Guilherme Piper
Brazil
Local time: 21:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 17, 2021

Hello folks, I'm a beginner in the translation business and I have a big issue that arose right now..

So, long story short, I took a job on translating a book, full disclosure, it wasnt from here, things seemed fine but here's what ticks me off:

They didnt offer me a contract. No negotiations, no legal bindings, no nothing. Alarm bells are going off in my head, but I'm an utter beginner in this business so I have no clue of what's considered acceptable practices.
... See more
Hello folks, I'm a beginner in the translation business and I have a big issue that arose right now..

So, long story short, I took a job on translating a book, full disclosure, it wasnt from here, things seemed fine but here's what ticks me off:

They didnt offer me a contract. No negotiations, no legal bindings, no nothing. Alarm bells are going off in my head, but I'm an utter beginner in this business so I have no clue of what's considered acceptable practices.

Can I get someone's opinion on this
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:48
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What to do Sep 17, 2021

Send them a polite letter setting out your terms, including (by way of example):
- a series of delivery dates and the amount they need to pay you on each date. Do not ask for royalties because you'll never see them.
- the condition that your translation cannot be sold on to a third party without your written consent.
- that your name, as the translator, be credited in the publication.
- that you will receive 5 free copies of the finished publication.

Ask t
... See more
Send them a polite letter setting out your terms, including (by way of example):
- a series of delivery dates and the amount they need to pay you on each date. Do not ask for royalties because you'll never see them.
- the condition that your translation cannot be sold on to a third party without your written consent.
- that your name, as the translator, be credited in the publication.
- that you will receive 5 free copies of the finished publication.

Ask them for their acceptance of your conditions - or negotiate with them. If you do not come to an agreement, stop work.

[Edited at 2021-09-17 12:46 GMT]
Collapse

RuthScales
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington
Philip Lees

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:48
Italian to English
+ ...
Work for one month, get paid, do more Sep 17, 2021

Hi Guilherme

I always translate books doing a few chapters a month, invoiced at the end of the month, and when those are paid I do the next few chapters next month, get paid, etc.

This way you're only really risking not getting paid for one month.

Make sure they agree to your estimate, delivery and payment times.

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Guilherme Sep 17, 2021

Asking a newbie to translate a book sounds very much like a scam (scammers love newbies). Who is your client? The author, a publisher, an agency? Have you checked the IP address?

Barbara Carrara
Grace Anderson
Roy Chacón
Peng Zi
Kevin Fulton
Joe France
Andy Watkinson

Guilherme Piper
Guilherme Piper
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, due dilligence is still a new concept to me. Sep 17, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

Asking a newbie to translate a book sounds very much like a scam (scammers love newbies). Who is your client? The author, a publisher, an agency? Have you checked the IP address?

I'm not sure I can check the IP address, seeing as we talked via whatsapp (which, in retrospect, also sounds weird). He just gave me a timetable and told me "you'll receive x ammount once you're done", then asked me for payment details.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Milestone pay Sep 17, 2021

Charge in chunks.

Don't accept checks, money orders, etc., none of that alleged fugitive Nigerian Princeling stuff.

[Edited at 2021-09-17 14:10 GMT]

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Guilherme Sep 17, 2021

What is the title of the book? Did you google it?

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Guilherme Sep 17, 2021

In the meanwhile, you should check this: https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts

P.L.F. Persio

Guilherme Piper
Guilherme Piper
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah it was to suspicious for my taste Sep 17, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

In the meanwhile, you should check this: https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts

Checked it, there was another one earlier yesterday that tried the Pay to Work one on me, but I didnt fall for it.

This other one didnt seem to fit into any of these, but the rates he was offering were just too good to be true, especially without a written contract. Already pulled the plug on it, thanks for the help. I'm happy I can count on people here to help me out in cases like these.

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 20:48
Greek to English
+ ...
Weekly payments Sep 17, 2021

Can I get someone's opinion on this

I always delete such messages immediately and use them to train my span filter better. Even those that seem to be coming from Proz. There was one instance only when I accepted such a job from an email (incidentally, it was a book!), but we talked on the phone first, and I also checked out the writer from Greek bookstores. No contract, but we agreed on payment per week back then, based on words delivered.

Lead2Change
Lead2Change  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:48
Member (2021)
English to Swedish
Book translators' association Sep 20, 2021

I would recommend that you find out if there is any association of book translators in your country and turn to them for advice. And absolutely that you should have a contract. Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie needing second opinion on possible gig.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »