Thread poster: Wolfgang BRECH
Wolfgang BRECH
Wolfgang BRECH  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:38
German to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2022

Hi everyone,
The requests for PEMT are coming in more and more frequently; however, my attempt to educate myself on how to actually do it (using SDL Trados 2017 in particular) has failed so far.
Yes, I have read 100s of pages about the history, the pros & cons, etc., and in most cases, I find myself referred to a company called RWS, which I now find out has acquired SDL.
I even completed their course and received the certificate.
But finding a video with hands-on examples
... See more
Hi everyone,
The requests for PEMT are coming in more and more frequently; however, my attempt to educate myself on how to actually do it (using SDL Trados 2017 in particular) has failed so far.
Yes, I have read 100s of pages about the history, the pros & cons, etc., and in most cases, I find myself referred to a company called RWS, which I now find out has acquired SDL.
I even completed their course and received the certificate.
But finding a video with hands-on examples (using SDL Trados 2017) seems to be impossible.

Any suggestions out there?

Cheers,
Wolf
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Wolfgang Aug 31, 2022

Wolfgang BRECH wrote:

Well, how the PEMT files/tasks are delivered to you can vary, of course.

1. Most PEMT jobs that I receive (even ones that are do be done in e.g. Trados) come as a pre-translated file. In other words, the client had pre-translated the SDLXLIFF file with machine translations, and then I have to edit the segments. This can be annoying because it makes using fuzzy matching more difficult or inefficient, since the target fields are pre-populated with machine translations.

2. A client can also send you an empty SDXLIFF file and tell you to connect to their preferred machine translation system. This means that Trados will insert a machine translation into the target field in the same way as it might insert a fuzzy match, and then you'd have to edit the inserted text before moving to the next empty segment.

I don't use this feature in Trados, but a bit of Googling got me the following links:

How to enable Trados' own machine translation system in Trados 2022:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhP-Q1m9gyk

How to enable Google Translate in Trados (skip to about the middle of the video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvvTGQs79Hs

How to use Trados' own machine translation system in Trados 2017:
https://www.trados.com/products/machine-translation/access-nmt-in-studio.html
(you have to install something)

How to enable Google Translate in Trados 2017 specifically:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/19187/can-t-access-google-translate-in-trados-studio-2017

So, instead of Google Translate, the client might give you credentials for their own machine translation system, but you'd use it in much the same way.

3. Theoretically, a client can also send you a TM that contains only machine translated segments. You would then connect this TM in Trados in the same way as you'd connect any other TM, penalize the matches from that TM, and work in Trados as normal. This is theoretically a way of doing it, but I've never had any client actually do this.

4. Then, the client may use some kind of online tool other than Trados or a tool that connects to Trados somehow, e.g. GroupShare projects, which would or could offer either real-time machine translations or have been pre-translated with machine translations.

5. Of course, a client could also choose not to use Trados 2017 (or Trados 2022), in which case you'd have to learn how to use the tool that the client requires. This may be a normal online tool like XTM or Memsource or Smartling etc., or it may be a special tool designed specially for machine translation editing.

I find myself referred to a company called RWS, which I now find out has acquired SDL.

Yes, RWS is a large translation agency and they recently bought the SDL company (which previously owned Trados but who was also a large translation agency). So, Trados is currently owned by a translation agency, but you can use Trados also if you don't work for that particular agency. Generally, "Trados" and RWS operate separately although on paper one owns the other.

[Edited at 2022-08-31 15:31 GMT]

Edwin den Boer

ANGELA DELANEY
ANGELA DELANEY  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados (RWS) videos Sep 1, 2022

As Samuel said, RWS is the parent company for TRADOS. I follow TRADOS on LinkedIn, and I have found a post with links to their videos on LinkedIn.
Hopefully, there will be something of help.
https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/trados/posts/?feedView=videos
Angela

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Have you bought Trados? Sep 1, 2022

If not, other translation memory programs do the same things for a fraction of the price.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Super annoying Sep 1, 2022

1. Most PEMT jobs that I receive (even ones that are do be done in e.g. Trados) come as a pre-translated file. In other words, the client had pre-translated the SDLXLIFF file with machine translations, and then I have to edit the segments. This can be annoying because it makes using fuzzy matching more difficult or inefficient, since the target fields are pre-populated with machine translations.

This is indeed super counterproductive. I charge extra for handling these polluted projects.

No problem with MT. But on a translator’s level only. Interactive MT. No projects populated with MT garbage.

[Edited at 2022-09-01 15:54 GMT]

Edwin den Boer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Post-editing machine translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »