Elizabeth Morris
Elizabeth Morris  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:24
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2021

Hello all,

I recently accepted a job to review a translation that, while not too bad, was clearly not done by a native English speaker--I'm not sure if it was done by the client or another person, or some combination of people. I made my changes, working to make the English more accurately reflect the original Russian in a way an English-speaking audience would best understand, and also to make the English sound natural. When I sent back the reviewed version with tracked changes, I
... See more
Hello all,

I recently accepted a job to review a translation that, while not too bad, was clearly not done by a native English speaker--I'm not sure if it was done by the client or another person, or some combination of people. I made my changes, working to make the English more accurately reflect the original Russian in a way an English-speaking audience would best understand, and also to make the English sound natural. When I sent back the reviewed version with tracked changes, I then received in a return a heavily marked up review of my review--"corrections" of my English, with some parts simply changed back to the first ungrammatical translations, and other parts just completely changed to third variants--and still other parts that had been fine in the translation and I had left alone were now changed, with extensive questions about some of these changes in the comments section. They seem to think that I will now re-review the heavily-changed text as a matter of course. For many of the changes they made, I would simply change it back to my version or to the original if I were to review again...I want to make this client happy, but I am not going to re-review what is essentially a new text for free, so I am now trying to explain to them what I will or won't do in this situation.

I have noticed that everyone has different definitions of "proofread," "review," "edit," but I never expected someone to expect unlimited feedback on their writing for the price of a single review. Have any of you encountered this kind of situation--a non-native-speaker who makes a bunch of changes to your changes and sends it back to you? I feel that there must be something I can say to every client in the beginning to avoid this kind of situation and set correct expectations, but I'm not sure how to explain the line between appropriate feedback and unreasonable expectations. What do you do to avoid these misunderstandings?
Collapse

Yaotl Altan

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Depends Aug 7, 2021

If you feel like this a good future opportunity, either stand by your work carefully or kowtow diplomatically.

Otherwise.... it might make more sense to agree just so they go away faster.

There's A LOT of people who revert revised translations from Russian into a mess of passive voice, "of the this of the that of the something else", re-order sentences back to Russian word order, and fiercely fight for the integrity of word-for-word translations of bulky канцеля�
... See more
If you feel like this a good future opportunity, either stand by your work carefully or kowtow diplomatically.

Otherwise.... it might make more sense to agree just so they go away faster.

There's A LOT of people who revert revised translations from Russian into a mess of passive voice, "of the this of the that of the something else", re-order sentences back to Russian word order, and fiercely fight for the integrity of word-for-word translations of bulky канцелярит.

Pick your battles.
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Btw Aug 7, 2021

Sometimes, these things are done for the pettiest of reasons.

I've received "feedback" that amounted to little more than a bunch of superfluous edits to hide the root cause: one of the client's low-ranking employees was peeved that I just translated their job title properly, instead of facebook stalking them to learn what THEY mistakenly believe their job title translates to.

Perhaps something you did annoyed someone on their end. In that case, the rest of the edits may
... See more

I've received "feedback" that amounted to little more than a bunch of superfluous edits to hide the root cause: one of the client's low-ranking employees was peeved that I just translated their job title properly, instead of facebook stalking them to learn what THEY mistakenly believe their job title translates to.

Perhaps something you did annoyed someone on their end. In that case, the rest of the edits may well have been invented just to make you look bad.

[Edited at 2021-08-07 19:57 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Morris
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Aug 7, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Perhaps something you did annoyed someone on their end. In that case, the rest of the edits may well have been invented just to make you look bad.

That sounds extremely off-putting! I am wondering if I should just stop accepting jobs to review translations that were done by non-native speakers, or if I should always charge more for them than I have been (I would have for this one if I had known this would happen, but the translation wasn't too bad to begin with, which makes it all the stranger that the client is now changing parts of it that I left alone). The trouble is that since I've started freelancing I've gotten the impression that many, many clients in Russia prefer to have a Russian-speaker do the first translation and a native English speaker do the review, I assume because they think it comes out cheaper; these types of reviews seem to make up the majority.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
How much were you charging? Aug 7, 2021

And even more importantly, do THEY think it is a lot?

I've noticed that prices you grudgingly accept as barely-worthwhile as a native speaker and Westerner are often at that "upper edge of acceptable" for smaller Russian clients and create odd expectations.

Elizabeth Morris wrote:

Adieu wrote:

That sounds extremely off-putting! I am wondering if I should just stop accepting jobs to review translations that were done by non-native speakers, or if I should always charge more for them than I have been (I would have for this one if I had known this would happen, but the translation wasn't too bad to begin with, which makes it all the stranger that the client is now changing parts of it that I left alone). The trouble is that since I've started freelancing I've gotten the impression that many, many clients in Russia prefer to have a Russian-speaker do the first translation and a native English speaker do the review, I assume because they think it comes out cheaper; these types of reviews seem to make up the majority.

Elizabeth Morris
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Half of my standard translation rate Aug 7, 2021

Adieu wrote:

And even more importantly, do THEY think it is a lot?

I've noticed that prices you grudgingly accept as barely-worthwhile as a native speaker and Westerner are often at that "upper edge of acceptable" for smaller Russian clients and create odd expectations.

I have been charging about half of my standard translation rate (which is the same as the Proz average rate per word for Russian>English translation) for reviewing others' translations--which I think is normal based on what I've seen others say they charge for reviewing, but I only started freelancing this year so I could be wrong about that. But I think this rate really only makes sense for reviewing translations done by a professional who is native in the target language. I'm not sure if this client thinks it is a lot--but they know that it is the lowest my prices go, since I told them the whole possible range before they sent me the specific text to quote on.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
So 0.05 per word? Aug 7, 2021

With or without match discounts? Specific familiar topics or anything and everything?

In any case, Russian clients are likely to consider that pretty expensive (it's more of a western client price). Maybe that is why they are picking on you.

[Edited at 2021-08-07 21:21 GMT]

Elizabeth Morris
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand Aug 7, 2021

Adieu wrote:

With or without match discounts? Specific familiar topics or anything and everything?

In any case, Russian clients are likely to consider that pretty expensive (it's more of a western client price). Maybe that is why they are picking on you.

I use a CAT tool when I translate, not when I edit and proofread someone else's translation. I'm not sure how that would work because it involves two separate documents to begin with, the Russian and the English translation. Is that something you do?

Even Russian agencies who theoretically host all work in their own platform like Smartcat have only ever asked me to edit/proofread by using the track changes tool in Microsoft Word, there hasn't been comparison with a TM, and while the rates they offered me themselves do discount a % of the full rate for matches on translations, they pay a single rate for every kind of match in editing except for repetitions. And that editing rate is higher than what I've charged this direct client.

[Edited at 2021-08-07 21:55 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:24
French to English
+ ...
Spare your nerves... Aug 7, 2021

Elizabeth Morris wrote:
I am wondering if I should just stop accepting jobs to review translations that were done by non-native speakers, or if I should always charge more for them than I have been.

Been there, done that. Got lots of these from the two biggest clients of mine (large international agencies). At one moment, I even composed a list of typical errors in non-native Russian-English translations and was sending it out on every possible occasion. After a year or so, I realised the futility of my effort: the Russian education system has been perpetuating these errors for decades and keeps churning out graduates with the same problems. So I stopped accepting non-native jobs. Guess what? Instead of non-native speakers with at least some experience in the subject field, I started getting texts by natives with hardly any knowledge of the subject. So I stopped editing for these two clients altogether.

Elizabeth Morris

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Ughh Aug 7, 2021

In that case, I would charge that much or more too.

I hate track changes in Word with a passion.

I charge 0.035 / no match discounts / $50 min fee on revision in MemoQ and only take jobs in one specialization, for which I have loads of translation memory.

It may look a bit low, but I can breeze through 20k words in a long day (done well in good conscience, no select-all-ctrl-enter bs).

Elizabeth Morris wrote:

Adieu wrote:

I use a CAT tool when I translate, not when I edit and proofread someone else's translation. I'm not sure how that would work because it involves two separate documents to begin with, the Russian and the English translation. Is that something you do?

Even Russian agencies who theoretically host all work in their own platform like Smartcat have only ever asked me to edit/proofread by using the track changes tool in Microsoft Word, there hasn't been comparison with a TM, and while the rates they offered me themselves do discount a % of the full rate for matches on translations, they pay a single rate for every kind of match in editing except for repetitions. And that editing rate is higher than what I've charged this direct client.

[Edited at 2021-08-07 23:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-07 23:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-07 23:27 GMT]

Elizabeth Morris
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found out what happened--totally new translation Aug 7, 2021

I found out what happened here. The client told me that they actually, intentionally returned to me a second, different translation of the same text that was done by "a native speaker of English" at a Russian agency (definitely not a real native speaker!). The client didn't seem to even realize how inappropriate it is to send one translation, get it reviewed, then send someone else's translation of the same text to be reviewed again on the same order.

Elizabeth Morris
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sounds ideal Aug 7, 2021

Adieu wrote:

In that case, I would charge that much or more too.

I hate track changes in Word with a passion.

I charge 0.035 / no match discounts / $50 min fee on revision in MemoQ and only take jobs in one specialization, for which I have loads of translation memory.

It may look a bit low, but I can breeze through 20k words in a long day (done well in good conscience, no select-all-ctrl-enter bs).

Wow that sounds like a great setup...I don't have training in fields like medical or legal translation, my expertise is more in the arts, history, philosophy...areas where there are probably fewer repetitions and every job is different. I like the work itself but I'm definitely not making that kind of money!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:24
English to Russian
Wild guess Aug 7, 2021

@Adieu, why do you lean on the topic starter to know her rate and discounts? Who are you to feel like you have the right to demand this information? Are you an investigator? You develop so many unfounded suspicions even though you have no idea of the situation.

@Elizabeth Morris
I don't know why did they do that either. I don't see how could they benefit from this behavior... Maybe they are trying to modify your translation as a part of their rewriting work (SEO/SMM or what th
... See more
@Adieu, why do you lean on the topic starter to know her rate and discounts? Who are you to feel like you have the right to demand this information? Are you an investigator? You develop so many unfounded suspicions even though you have no idea of the situation.

@Elizabeth Morris
I don't know why did they do that either. I don't see how could they benefit from this behavior... Maybe they are trying to modify your translation as a part of their rewriting work (SEO/SMM or what they call it). But no matter what their purpose is, they behave in an unprofessional manner. I go with Anton Konashenok in this regard. Actually, I don't accept any work that involves the MS Word Track Changes feature. As far as I understand, these are two diefferent problems: editing a text translated by a non-native translator, and struggling with idiots. If I were you, I would make a mandatory condition: either you review a job once or you don't review it at all. Period.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:24
English to Russian
Aug 7, 2021

Elizabeth Morris wrote:
The client told me that they actually, intentionally returned to me a second, different translation of the same text
Oh, my guess was right

Elizabeth Morris
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice Aug 8, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

As far as I understand, these are two diefferent problems: editing a text translated by a non-native translator, and struggling with idiots. If I were you, I would make a mandatory condition: either you review a job once or you don't review it at all. Period.

Thanks for your thoughts, I think you're absolutely right and I'm going to start being very clear about this with new clients from the beginning. I always like to give a sense of reasonable flexibility about revisions--like if I actually made a mistake, I would want the client to be comfortable with asking me to fix it--but I think I'm giving the impression that I'm a little too flexible...I also think I somehow keep getting private clients who have never hired an editor or translator before, so they don't have a sense of where the boundaries are. I'm still getting established as a freelancer, so unfortunately I'll probably be dealing with problem #2 for a while!

Stepan Konev
Adieu
Oksana Weiss

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-native speakers reviewing your edits

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »