Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How much should we charge for extra "service" tasks before and after the mere translation?
Thread poster: Dr. Lausberg de Morales
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Dreams go by opposites Mar 9, 2019

Anyway nobody is interested in them - just a simple translation, that's all.
Paweł, are you really sure? Maybe clients just don't know about extra services, so they ask--and pay!--somebody else, no?

For instance, working in a group I used to mention about proofreading, rewriting, copywriting, adapting and other services, so our clients very often (2/3) asked for extra features--even without translation.

Once my colleague wanted to diversify translation and said to her client she didn't mind interpreting and lipsyncing. At that time the client wasn't interested in extra services, but casually mentioned of it to their partners. That's how she landed a big project with decent $.20/w + lavish hourly syncing, making a few new regular clients--who also recommend her to their biz partners.

Shortly, a wide range of services also counts, making you stand head and shoulders above competitors.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:03
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
A realistic hourly rate Mar 10, 2019

Most of the time I don't do jobs like that, but I do occasionally translate birth certificates or diplomas and the like, which come as PDF scans, and the word count is very low, but they require a lot of formatting.
Or I ´tidy up´ a Power-Point file where the text does not always fit in with the graphics.

Most agencies do that kind of work for me - that is the agreement, and they pay their own DTP departments and others to do formatting.

If you are expected to d
... See more
Most of the time I don't do jobs like that, but I do occasionally translate birth certificates or diplomas and the like, which come as PDF scans, and the word count is very low, but they require a lot of formatting.
Or I ´tidy up´ a Power-Point file where the text does not always fit in with the graphics.

Most agencies do that kind of work for me - that is the agreement, and they pay their own DTP departments and others to do formatting.

If you are expected to do a lot of work apart from actually translating, then you should charge for it. Otherwise it is unfair to agencies that do that work themselves. No one can make a living by providing a lot of extra services for free.
Collapse

K G Anand

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should we charge for extra "service" tasks before and after the mere translation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »