Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:28
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
May 26, 2022

I don't think my name is a difficult one to type. Yet a client, whose name contains a letter with a diacritic, which I am sure many languages don't have, misspelt my name twice while I had carefully copied the exact letter in their name for the cute piece of a stroke to be placed where it belongs fearing it would otherwise mean something unkind in their language.

I wouldn't care if it happened only once. But being called Matin and then Metil indicates a pattern of bl
... See more
I don't think my name is a difficult one to type. Yet a client, whose name contains a letter with a diacritic, which I am sure many languages don't have, misspelt my name twice while I had carefully copied the exact letter in their name for the cute piece of a stroke to be placed where it belongs fearing it would otherwise mean something unkind in their language.

I wouldn't care if it happened only once. But being called Matin and then Metil indicates a pattern of blatant disregard. Does that ever happen to you? If so, how do you generally respond?

PS: Sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this question. I am not sure into which category it should fall. Thank you.

[Edited at 2022-05-26 19:34 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:28
English to French
+ ...
Be firm May 26, 2022

It happens all the time, People can't read, or spell. And, yes, it is infuriating.

In my next message, I insert this: "Please note that the proper spelling of my name is Xxxxxx."

In the end, what is really important is to be paid the agreed amount, though.

J L

Metin Demirel
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
Sarah Lewis-Morgan

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:28
Danish to English
+ ...
Suggestion May 26, 2022

If it happens again, you can say something like, 'I'm not sure who Martin [or whatever the misspelling is] is, but if you want to contact him, I suggest you send him an email. In the meantime, allow me to ask if there is anything I can help you with.'

Metin Demirel
expressisverbis
Sabrina Bruna
Ester Vidal
Mako Fabris

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:28
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Martin May 26, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

If it happens again, you can say something like, 'I'm not sure who Martin [or whatever the misspelling is] is, but if you want to contact him, I suggest you send him an email. In the meantime, allow me to ask if there is anything I can help you with.'

I've also been a Martin many times.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Depending on the name of that client May 26, 2022

I would reply to him by butchering his name, for example:

"Hello, Rumpelstiltskin,
I hope you are doing well (...)"

I am sure he will get your name right, and he will never misspell it again.
"An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth"

[Edited at 2022-05-26 21:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-05-2
... See more

"Hello, Rumpelstiltskin,

Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes May 27, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

"Hello, Rumpelstiltskin,

Yes- that's the solution. Start misspelling their name; however do it with subtle misspellings- not blatantly obvious mistakes. At some point the two of you will come to an agreement.

You've just reminded my of my grandmother who, when speaking to another member of the family, would run through her various options of names of family members, before coming to rest on the name of the person she was addressing. I was Walt-Dave-Tom.

[Edited at 2022-05-27 06:58 GMT]

expressisverbis
Francesca Grandinetti

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not only clients May 27, 2022

My first name is not difficult at all, but I can’t count the times it has been misspelled by people here on Proz (as if I didn’t know how to write my own name). I’ve seen Térèsa/Tereza/Theresa/Thereza. It irritates me but I just sigh and shrug…

expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Is it really such a big deal? May 27, 2022

It happens to me occasionally, but does it really matter? I wouldn't bother unless it was a misspelling in a formal document, like an NDA or a contract. Then I would politely and without making a fuss ask for a correction.

Philippe Etienne
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Robert Rietvelt
expressisverbis
Christine Andersen

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:28
English to French
Copy-paste May 27, 2022

It happens all the time. They match it to their equivalent in their native language and adapt it.
When I reply to a very foreign sender, I copy-paste their name, even more so when they have weird bars and accents like Serbo-croatian or Polish.
I don't feel offended at all, and I'm sure I've wrongly spellt names that originate from countries where chaining 10 consonants (or vowels) in a row is commonplace.
I find reading more "loose" and "it's" than necessary more irritating.... See more
It happens all the time. They match it to their equivalent in their native language and adapt it.
When I reply to a very foreign sender, I copy-paste their name, even more so when they have weird bars and accents like Serbo-croatian or Polish.
I don't feel offended at all, and I'm sure I've wrongly spellt names that originate from countries where chaining 10 consonants (or vowels) in a row is commonplace.
I find reading more "loose" and "it's" than necessary more irritating.

Only when I am called Barbara or Rajalavarumian do I mention the mistake to my counterpart.

Philippe
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Dr. Matthias Schauen
Barbara Carrara

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
How to respond when a client misspells your name May 27, 2022

My family migrated to Italy when I was about 11 and my first name was mispelled in so many ways: Fosca, Oscar, Golf, Gofang ... ehm, my name is Wolfgang ... that I don't care anymore when my second name is mispelled, too, in many ways.
At least, here in France, they don't care too much about a non-French name as I may be native from Alsacia, but without some help they would never get it right.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I don’t mind May 27, 2022

Hardly anybody spells my name right. All too often they spell Ice with a silent N at the start. But I don’t mind.

Kay Denney
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
So right May 27, 2022

Philippe Etienne wrote:

"loose" and "it's"

Indeed.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Silvano May 27, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

My family migrated to Italy when I was about 11 and my first name was mispelled in so many ways: Fosca, Oscar, Golf, Gofang ... ehm, my name is Wolfgang ... that I don't care anymore when my second name is mispelled, too, in many ways.
At least, here in France, they don't care too much about a non-French name as I may be native from Alsacia, but without some help they would never get it right.

This reminds me of the car mechanic in Florence who used to fix up my clapped-out secondhand Fiat 500. His name was Silvano and he was part of a community of exiles who left what is now Slovenia, when Yugoslavia was created and Tito took over.

Silvano's second name was Smerde. Not good if you live in Florence among the Florentines, who are known for their sardonic wit.

So he applied to change his name. The trouble was, you are only allowed to change the first or last letter. So his only options were Merde or Smerd. In the end he just settled for "call me Silvano".

[Edited at 2022-05-27 12:10 GMT]

Emanuele Vacca
Riccardo Schiaffino

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
LOL May 27, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

So he applied to change his name. The trouble was, you are only allowed to change the first or last letter. So his only options were Merde or Smerd. In the end he just settled for "call me Silvano".

[Edited at 2022-05-27 08:41 GMT]

LOL

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I don't care May 27, 2022

Agneta Pallinder wrote:

It happens to me occasionally, but does it really matter? I wouldn't bother unless it was a misspelling in a formal document, like an NDA or a contract. Then I would politely and without making a fuss ask for a correction.

Exactly.

Annie Choi

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to respond when a client misspells your name

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »