Italy
Local time: 03:39
English to Italian
Oct 5, 2021

Just received this mass-email offer now through Proz

Amount: 150k words
Tool: Memsource
Languages: English to Ligurian

Apart the mass-email unmatched with my expertise, English to Ligurian?

Considerind that odd offers are increasingly common on Proz, I am asking to myself if those guys are really searching for "exotic" language couples, or they are just lazy missiing a secon
... See more
Just received this mass-email offer now through Proz

Amount: 150k words
Tool: Memsource
Languages: English to Ligurian

Apart the mass-email unmatched with my expertise, English to Ligurian?

Considerind that odd offers are increasingly common on Proz, I am asking to myself if those guys are really searching for "exotic" language couples, or they are just lazy missiing a second lecture
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:39
English to French
+ ...
Monaco, who would have thought Oct 5, 2021

Copied from the Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligurian_language) on Ligurian:

"[Ligurian] has been adopted formally in Monaco under the name Monégasque – locally, Munegascu – but without the status of official language (that is French). Monaco is the only place where a variety of Ligurian is taught in school."

Just saying!!

J L

Claudio Porcellana (X)

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Strange language providers Oct 5, 2021

Jean Lachaud wrote:

Copied from the Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligurian_language) on Ligurian:

"[Ligurian] has been adopted formally in Monaco under the name Monégasque – locally, Munegascu – but without the status of official language (that is French). Monaco is the only place where a variety of Ligurian is taught in school."

Just saying!!

J L

Yes, I see...
nevertheless I suspect they aren't so sophisticated
;-D

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
Serbian to English
+ ...
At least Ligurian / Munegasc Oct 5, 2021

is a real language.

I remember years ago spotting an ad from some wannabe LSP offering jobs for translators in many language pairs, including from/into Belgian and Swiss languages.

Out of curiosity I phoned the number given , and said I speak "Belgian" (well it's at least "half-true" ...) and some pompous arrogant women asked me "How good is your Belgian?".

I also offered to translate from / into "Swiss", and of course got asked the same question, in a dea
... See more
is a real language.

I remember years ago spotting an ad from some wannabe LSP offering jobs for translators in many language pairs, including from/into Belgian and Swiss languages.

Out of curiosity I phoned the number given , and said I speak "Belgian" (well it's at least "half-true" ...) and some pompous arrogant women asked me "How good is your Belgian?".

I also offered to translate from / into "Swiss", and of course got asked the same question, in a dead serious voice!

"If someone told you that, you wouldn't believe it" kind of experience ...
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Strange language providers Oct 6, 2021

Daryo wrote:

Well, I don't know Belgian, but asking for Swiss languages is sound because e.g. in Ticino Canton they speak a language that reminds a bit the Italian, but is quite different, and I think the same applies to the French and German spoken in the other matching Cantons

[Edited at 2021-10-06 12:43 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
Serbian to English
+ ...
Clarification Oct 12, 2021

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

Daryo wrote:

Well, I don't know Belgian, but asking for Swiss languages is sound because e.g. in Ticino Canton they speak a language that reminds a bit the Italian, but is quite different, and I think the same applies to the French and German spoken in the other matching Cantons

explanation for the plural for "languages":

... including from/into the "Belgian language" and the "Swiss language"

Another clarification: all that happened mid-90s (last century!) when Internet and emails was still a novelty technology so when I replied to that ad published in the local newspaper I actually spoke on a landline (believe or not!) to that women who wanted a start a translation agency, and was plainly convinced that "obviously" there must be only one language for each country, of the same name as the country.

I lost count of people who said to me in the past "so you speak Yugoslavian"? The big difference being that none of them was in the translation / interpreting business, or a wannabe Language Services Provider.

[Edited at 2021-10-12 08:32 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I actually spoke on a landline Oct 12, 2021

I believe you

On of my first customers wanted to meet me in person, and his agency was 400 km away
It seems to speak about the Dino era, and it was...

P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange language providers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »