Best gross translation rate per source word/character?
Thread poster: HenrietteT
HenrietteT
HenrietteT
United States
Local time: 12:43
Member (2021)
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 4, 2021

I am new to this field and trying to figure it all out.. One company has this on their webpage: 'Best gross translation rate per source word/character (required). Competitive applications get maximum projects'.

Their rating then begins from $0.005 - above $0.8. Would you think they are asking about price per word or price per character? There's a big difference....

Thank you all for any help or input.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Best rate = lowest price Oct 4, 2021

I'm not going to give you any specific advice regarding rates in your language combination; however, "best rate" to an outsourcer means "lowest rate" to a translator. I would imagine that English Danish would command a premium compared to other more common combinations, but I may be mistaken.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Adieu
Eric Azevedo
Stepan Konev
Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
German to English
+ ...
gross Oct 5, 2021

I think that part goes under the (mistaken) assumption that we have a rate and from that they'll get a discount created from the algorithm by a certain software company that decided to tell clients our policies. I quote per project, using a rate scale as the basis for deriving the fee.

Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:43
English to Russian
I think gross means inclusive Oct 5, 2021

By using this word, they want to limit your ability to add any other price components like rush/overnight translation, complicated source file structure that requires major pre-/post-translation formatting, low quality scanned copies that you have to ocr, taxes or extra fees — just anything you may want to mark-up your price for. A gross rate includes all those 'by-products' in my understanding. A synonym of 'ultimate'. When somebody pays you a gross amount, they don't care what deductions may... See more
By using this word, they want to limit your ability to add any other price components like rush/overnight translation, complicated source file structure that requires major pre-/post-translation formatting, low quality scanned copies that you have to ocr, taxes or extra fees — just anything you may want to mark-up your price for. A gross rate includes all those 'by-products' in my understanding. A synonym of 'ultimate'. When somebody pays you a gross amount, they don't care what deductions may arise from that amount, it is you who are responsible for all and any deductions. The same story with rates: they want to see your ultimate price free of any possible conditions.

[Edited at 2021-10-05 05:50 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Just your standard price per word Oct 5, 2021

Price per word before deductions for CAT matches.

Cheapo agencies are not going to pay premium Scandi rates. I would focus on clients in Denmark if I were you.

Adieu

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Henriette Oct 5, 2021

HenrietteT wrote:
One company has this on their webpage: "Best gross translation rate per source word/character (required). Competitive applications get maximum projects."

Yup:

best gross

Would you think they are asking about price per word or price per character?

I suspect they mean "word" if you translate from a language that uses letters (e.g. Latin or Cyrillic), and "character" if you translate from a language that uses non-letter characters (e.g. CJK).

I have no idea what they mean by "gross". You would have to ask them. They are from India, and English is not the native language of their web designer. It could be that "gross" means "before fuzzy discounts are applied", i.e. the "new word" rate. It is normal for translators to quote their "new word" rate anyway, even if they offer fuzzy match discounts.

Or, it could be that they use "gross" to mean "translation + editing + proofreading", as opposed to just the translation part.

Anyway, you are not bound to the pricing information that you give in this registration form. You are free to evaluate every project on its own merits (e.g. how difficult it is, what procedures must be followed, and what exactly the task is) and negotiate a different rate for each project.

[Edited at 2021-10-05 08:30 GMT]

Eric Azevedo

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Anyway Oct 5, 2021

The answer is "above 0.08" and no you won't be hearing back from them.

Unless they choose to ignore their own form and start spamming you with 0.03 before discounts offers.

And yes, gross does sound like they mean to say "before discounts"

HenrietteT
HenrietteT
United States
Member (2021)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 5, 2021

Thank all for your comments.

As I said I am new going into translating as a freelancer and set my rate low at 10 cents a word. I received an email back with [Review - proposed - 0.05 USD/word]. As a newbie I wonder if I should move on from this or just jump at it and see it as a stepping stone into this..

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Depends Oct 5, 2021

Review = Revision (role 2)?

Or "review" as in please give us a 50% discount?

HenrietteT wrote:

Thank all for your comments.

As I said I am new going into translating as a freelancer and set my rate low at 10 cents a word. I received an email back with Review - proposed - 0.05 USD/word. As a newbie I wonder if I should move on from this or just jump at it and see it as a stepping stone into this..

[Edited at 2021-10-05 17:07 GMT]

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:43
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Up to you... Oct 6, 2021

It is of course all up to you and if you don't have any work at all at the moment and need some experience to build a portfolio, I suppose this could be one way to do so; however, with these rates, they will not be able to attract good or even average translators, so revision is likely to be rather frustrating and time-consuming, I expect.

This looks like the kind of "bottom feeders" the rest of us routinely avoid... Also, make sure you don't get stuck accepting projects for very li
... See more
It is of course all up to you and if you don't have any work at all at the moment and need some experience to build a portfolio, I suppose this could be one way to do so; however, with these rates, they will not be able to attract good or even average translators, so revision is likely to be rather frustrating and time-consuming, I expect.

This looks like the kind of "bottom feeders" the rest of us routinely avoid... Also, make sure you don't get stuck accepting projects for very little pay that take up al your time, as that way you will never be able to spend some time acquiring good clients.

You may also want to think about setting your rates a bit higher (12-14 dollar cents is still very low for EN-DA) to avoid being seen as inexperienced, low quality and desperate. (Please don't take this personally! I am not saying you are, I just think that with a rate of 0.10 USD/word that is how you may look to new clients.) Professional clients looking for professional translators may see a very low rate and decide you are probably not good/professional enough.

[Edited at 2021-10-06 14:34 GMT]
Collapse

British Diana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best gross translation rate per source word/character?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »