Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 14:48
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
What is "obvious". Sep 18, 2016

I visited the OP's profile and it says this:

Registered at ProZ.com: Jan 2009.

He may have created that nickname in 2009 (probably did).

Then he had a traumatic event in 2012 (four years ago).

Now coming here to seek some support without thinking about the nickname or how (un)professional it is, he doesn't look active on ProZ in professional terms any way. Perhaps gets translation work from somewhere else.

So let's not judge.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excuse me, but... Sep 18, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Now coming here to seek some support without thinking about the nickname or how (un)professional it is, he doesn't look active on ProZ in professional terms any way. Perhaps gets translation work from somewhere else.

So let's not judge.

...a website for professional translators does not strike me as an appropriate venue to process one's emotional wounds, and if the OP had simply wanted to ask the question from a translation-related standpoint, he could have eliminated the specific reference to the event that triggers his unease with certain material.

There are plenty of ways the OP can deal with his particular issue: personal therapy, participation in a 12-step group, guided reading, even participation in appropriate web forums. This is not the place.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, I already said that at the beginning. Sep 18, 2016

couldn't this go in "Health and Lifestyle" category, I am not sure?

I certainly can't see how it applies to Business Issues.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:48
French to English
... Sep 18, 2016

Robert Forstag wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

So let's not judge.

...a website for professional translators does not strike me as an appropriate venue to process one's emotional wounds, and if the OP had simply wanted to ask the question from a translation-related standpoint, he could have eliminated the specific reference to the event that triggers his unease with certain material.

There are plenty of ways the OP can deal with his particular issue: personal therapy, participation in a 12-step group, guided reading, even participation in appropriate web forums. This is not the place.

I actually find this quite worrying, that somebody brings up this subject and gets this response.

If you don't like the post, you don't have to respond.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Ranting about rates. Sep 18, 2016

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Robert Forstag wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

So let's not judge.

I actually find this quite worrying, that somebody brings up this subject and gets this response.

If you don't like the post, you don't have to respond.

When people come on boards (and that's quite frequent and common) ranting about rates or the state of the industry, aren't they looking for some kind of emotional support too? But nobody judges them. I can't see how this is different, a person is a translator and has a certain problem while translating.

ihd (X)
ihd (X)
Local time: 21:48
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 18, 2016

Thank you for all the positive replies.

I just wanted to know whether other translators had experienced anything similar.

I'm not seeking therapeutic help or anything and I don't understand why anyone would suggest therapy when I did mention that I did seek professional help. People "make peace" with difficult experiences but some events are quite powerful that they do end up leaving a footprint. That's just life.

As for the forum topic, the moderator fel
... See more

I just wanted to know whether other translators had experienced anything similar.

I'm not seeking therapeutic help or anything and I don't understand why anyone would suggest therapy when I did mention that I did seek professional help. People "make peace" with difficult experiences but some events are quite powerful that they do end up leaving a footprint. That's just life.

As for the forum topic, the moderator felt that this belonged to "Business Issues". Either way, I hope anyone who faces similar issues in the future will come across this post and find it helpful. I definitely found it helpful.
Collapse

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 19, 2016

indie_hunk wrote:

I was working on a large project a few months ago that sounds quite similar, as it happens.

I've had a lot longer than four years to get over it though so it was quite a positive experience, showing I've made my peace, etc. Not sure I would have felt quite the same way a few years ago.

I once translated a catalogue of coffins too, so I'm sure lots of translators can relate; there must be lots of translations reaching translators that strike quite a personal note. Being a stoic, tight Scot, I think you just have to decide at the beginning whether the subject matter will slow you down too much, whether you'd rather not be involved at all or if it's just part of the job.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating subjects that are difficult for personal reasons

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »