Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:24
German to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2004

Hi,

I posted the message below to the WordFast group, but have not yet received a response. Can anyone here help?

Thx,
Daina

Hello,

I am running WordFast build 4.22 and PlusTools 3.10 on Windows 2000 Pro and Word 2000.

The problem I have currently is that some segments in a TM from a customer (Trados exported to .txt format) are not importing into WordFast. I copied the customer's .txt file to one of my work folders
... See more
Hi,

I posted the message below to the WordFast group, but have not yet received a response. Can anyone here help?

Thx,
Daina

Hello,

I am running WordFast build 4.22 and PlusTools 3.10 on Windows 2000 Pro and Word 2000.

The problem I have currently is that some segments in a TM from a customer (Trados exported to .txt format) are not importing into WordFast. I copied the customer's .txt file to one of my work folders, selected it ("Select TM"), and WordFast imported it, so I translated the first file. When I got near the end, I looked up a term in the company's files from last year (on which their TM is based) and noticed that several segments should have been recognized as fuzzy matches at least (and some 100% matches), but weren't. So I
checked the TM they sent, i.e. the .txt file, and it contained these segments. But when I checked the .txt file that WordFast used, I could not find these segments. As it turns out, the file I was trying to import is some 1,000 pages in Word, but the imported file is only
291 pp.

Can anyone help me with this? I searched the archive, but could not locate a solution.
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:24
English to German
+ ...
New TM? Feb 4, 2004

Daina Jauntirans wrote:
The problem I have currently is that some segments in a TM from a customer (Trados exported to .txt format) are not importing into WordFast.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I once had a similar problem with WF.

I imported a TM that was built in Metatexis. Instead of WF adding new segments to it, it copied the whole TM into a new file, leaving the original TM untouched. New segments were then added to the new, WF-only TM.

You could check whether WF has created a new file that contains your segments. (E.g., by using Window's search function.)

HTH

Sonja

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 11:24
English to Estonian
+ ...
The mailing list is the best resource on WF Feb 4, 2004

Daina Jauntirans wrote:
I posted the message below to the WordFast group, but have not yet received a response.

If anybody can help you with this issue, it's the program's author. My impression was that he is investigating it.

I do not recall a "partial import" error report from the past, and have never experienced it myself, although I've imported a lot of Trados TXT files.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:24
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 4, 2004

I asked the customer to reorganize and resend the TXT file, and it appears to be OK now. I will try again with the TMX file they sent just to make sure.

Yes, you are right - the group is an excellent resource.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast group Feb 4, 2004

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I asked the customer to reorganize and resend the TXT file, and it appears to be OK now. I will try again with the TMX file they sent just to make sure.

Yes, you are right - the group is an excellent resource.

Don't forget to tell them over there nothing's wrong with Wordfast.

Regards,
Gerard

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TMX works like charm Feb 4, 2004

Daina Jauntirans wrote:
(Trados exported to .txt format) are not importing into WordFast. a solution.

I use both Trados and Wordfast (4.22), and when I want to work with Wordfast I export into TMX. Opening a TMX-file is never a problem. Exporting into TMX for import into Trados is also never a problem.

But importing a Trados export txt-file is normally impossible, and I do not think that Wordfast claim to do be able to do that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast - missing segments in imported TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »