Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Non-native client claiming issues with 'style' of my translation - can I have an 'expertise' done?
Thread poster: stephenkells
Xiaodong Du
Xiaodong Du
Local time: 23:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Negotiate to arrive a reasonable arrangement Dec 1, 2021

stephenkells wrote:

Hello,

The client of my client is refusing to pay for an FR-ENG translation that I have done in conjunction with another translator.

I have received some examples of what they are not happy with. This includes the claim that 'requirements' is a 'pejorative' term and I should have used 'needs' instead. All the other issues come with claims like 'you don't say this like that' etc etc. There are no points re spelling, grammar or misinterpretation of the original text. This person is not a native EN speaker, unlike myself and my colleague, in other words, it appears to be a 'mauvaise foi' attempt to avoid paying or to gain a reduction in price. I would be confident in asking for an 'expertise' to be done on the translation, with the loser paying for it, but am struggling to find anyone who offers this service. Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks!

Stephen.

Let's put aside other factors involved in the issue faced by Stephen.
I would say the examples"requirements (needs)" and "you don't say this like that" claimed by the client of your client indeed make sense to some extent.
We can't say the client is "finding quarrel in a straw" or intentionally finding fault with you.

Sometimes a point that weighs little to one is very important to another.

Even if the claims by the client hold water, there is no reason to withhold the full amount payable.
Anyway, a reasonable arrangement is nogotiable between you and the client.
In negotiation, each party will weigh the other party's importance/value in his mind in the long run and finally a reasonable arrangement will be arrived.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-native client claiming issues with 'style' of my translation - can I have an 'expertise' done?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »