Thread poster: Federica Meacci
Federica Meacci
Federica Meacci  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:00
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 25, 2011

Hi everyone.

In march I will obtain a PG degree in Conference Interpreting (English language B and Russian language C).
I have studied Spanish for a year and I would like to add it to my pairs. So I was thinking of enrolling in a short interpreting course with the Italian-Spanish pair.
I came across La Escuela Oficial de Interpretes Y Traductores in Salamanca and they offer short courses, from 15 days to months.
I would like to know if someonw has been there and
... See more
Hi everyone.

In march I will obtain a PG degree in Conference Interpreting (English language B and Russian language C).
I have studied Spanish for a year and I would like to add it to my pairs. So I was thinking of enrolling in a short interpreting course with the Italian-Spanish pair.
I came across La Escuela Oficial de Interpretes Y Traductores in Salamanca and they offer short courses, from 15 days to months.
I would like to know if someonw has been there and how classes were. Honestly, I can't trust a school which pretends to offer 15-day interpreting courses. I have studied conference interpreting for 2 years and I know how much efforts is needed. Still, I am tempted, as I want to improve my Spanish and it'll be better than a normal language class (and more expensive too).

Happy to hear any advice!

Federica
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 00:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've never heard of them Feb 25, 2011

And I am not far away... The interpreting and translation course at the University is well regarded, but this is clearly not the same thing. I shall investigate....

The Escuela Oficial de Idiomas (a state funded and state run entity) in our city (Avila) does not offer such high flying activity, but this doesn't mean to say that Salamanca's EOI doesn't. But I don't think any other organisation is allowed to use the name "Oficial".

Can I have until Monday?

Re
... See more
And I am not far away... The interpreting and translation course at the University is well regarded, but this is clearly not the same thing. I shall investigate....

The Escuela Oficial de Idiomas (a state funded and state run entity) in our city (Avila) does not offer such high flying activity, but this doesn't mean to say that Salamanca's EOI doesn't. But I don't think any other organisation is allowed to use the name "Oficial".

Can I have until Monday?

Regards

Noni
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is this what you were looking at? Feb 25, 2011

http://www.itsalamanca.com/cursos_eoi.asp

In which case, it is just a language school offering courses to prepare for the EOI (State Language School) language exams. No more.

Federica Meacci
Federica Meacci  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:00
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The school is the right one Feb 26, 2011

Hi Noni,

thank you for your replies.
The school is the one you found, the courses are these: http://www.itsalamanca.com/cursos_traduccion.asp#Calendario

I just want to know if it is a reliable school, because I don't want to waste money. I already have the tecnique, as I have studied it for more than 2 years now. So I would only like to improve
... See more
Hi Noni,

thank you for your replies.
The school is the one you found, the courses are these: http://www.itsalamanca.com/cursos_traduccion.asp#Calendario

I just want to know if it is a reliable school, because I don't want to waste money. I already have the tecnique, as I have studied it for more than 2 years now. So I would only like to improve my Spanish, acquiring a more formal lexicon, and practise in the booth of course.

What do you think?

Federica
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't know and do know.... Feb 27, 2011

Federica: I'm sorry, but I don't know anything more about this school.

What I do know is that they are treading a fine line with regard to suggesting that their teaching is "official" (ie state recognised): they state that "La Prueba de Certificación, por tanto, le sirve para acreditar mediante un certificado oficial, su nivel de competencia lingüística" and unless you read the rest of the text carefully you might think that they can award this certificate themselves, whe
... See more
Federica: I'm sorry, but I don't know anything more about this school.

What I do know is that they are treading a fine line with regard to suggesting that their teaching is "official" (ie state recognised): they state that "La Prueba de Certificación, por tanto, le sirve para acreditar mediante un certificado oficial, su nivel de competencia lingüística" and unless you read the rest of the text carefully you might think that they can award this certificate themselves, when in fact they are just preparing you for an external exam.

Any centre teaching languages outside the state system is obliged to display a sign on its noticeboard stating that what is taught in the centre is "enseñanza no oficial" (I am quoting from memory here for the wording). Here in Castilla y León we fought a long battle to stop being forced to say that our teaching "no tiene validez académica", but I would be sad to hear of a centre trying to cover up the fact that its teaching it not official.

Since I don't have any further information about this school, I can only recommend that you see which organizations it belongs to, and perhaps ask for recommendations from previous students?

Best wishes

Noni

[Edited at 2011-02-27 10:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-02-27 10:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting Courses at Interpretes Y Traductores Salamanca

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »