Become a blogger/make a website to self marketing
Thread poster: David Murillo
David Murillo
David Murillo  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to Spanish
Jan 18, 2016

Hi everyone,

I was just considering to make a kind of blog or website to try to enhance my background, and my chances in the market.

The idea I had, is to get some news, articles, this kind of way, translate and post on my blog/website with some personal thoughts.

The important point and where I get lost is, how far I can do that regarding the copyrights? I mean, if I take some new/article from another website and translating, is that illegal?
In tha
... See more
Hi everyone,

I was just considering to make a kind of blog or website to try to enhance my background, and my chances in the market.

The idea I had, is to get some news, articles, this kind of way, translate and post on my blog/website with some personal thoughts.

The important point and where I get lost is, how far I can do that regarding the copyrights? I mean, if I take some new/article from another website and translating, is that illegal?
In that case, should I contact the owner explaining the situation?

Am open for thought. All of them are welcome.

Thanks
Collapse

GHANIA Khalifa
GHANIA Khalifa  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 06:57
Arabic to English
+ ...
I am not sure Jun 7, 2016

I have no idea wehether is it legal or not, yet I think it is better to mention the source or the link below.

[Edited at 2016-06-07 12:24 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Do you have anything really, really original? Jun 8, 2016

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think life is too short and the Internet is already overloaded with recycled ideas, so-called news and comments on everything.

I follow one or two bloggers who really contribute their own content. Others tweet and post on Facebook... and I skip them fast! I suspect others do too. OK, I admit I post on this site and others many times a week, so I should perhaps take my own advice!!

Set up a website with your own opinions - fine.
... See more
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think life is too short and the Internet is already overloaded with recycled ideas, so-called news and comments on everything.

I follow one or two bloggers who really contribute their own content. Others tweet and post on Facebook... and I skip them fast! I suspect others do too. OK, I admit I post on this site and others many times a week, so I should perhaps take my own advice!!

Set up a website with your own opinions - fine. But if you need to copy other people's then consider skipping that post instead.

Set up some semi-permanent content by all means - about you, your earlier career, your sports and interests, and update it when you really have something to say. Look for ways to keep it fresh, but don't feel you must stir things up at fixed intervals.

Write a line or two about holidays and personal achievements and landmarks. Look back at the end of the year, and look ahead to the next. Definitely from your own angle and perspective, to attract attention to you, but go for short, quality postings, not a re-hash of other people's.

And good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Become a blogger/make a website to self marketing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »