GBK - Complexity of the process of contributing (sample sentence, web link etc.)
Thread poster: Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:33
English to Slovak
+ ...
Aug 18, 2009

Hi all,

We still have the term "seaworthiness" open in EN>SK combination. There's been rather lively discussion going on about possible translations of this term and I'm one of the participants (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_slovak/transport_transportation_shipping/3274882-seaworthiness.html).
From the ver
... See more
Hi all,

We still have the term "seaworthiness" open in EN>SK combination. There's been rather lively discussion going on about possible translations of this term and I'm one of the participants (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_slovak/transport_transportation_shipping/3274882-seaworthiness.html).
From the very beginning, my suggestion has been "plavbyschopnosť", but I couldn't be asked to enter it because of the complexity of whole process (sample sentence, web link etc.).
Now, I got the confirmation from JÚĽŠ SAV (National Institute of the Slovak Language) that my suggestion (translation) is correct, the term has been used for several decades and is listed in couple of dictionaries.

Don't you think that the whole process of contributing to GBK should be made a little bit easier?

I can't provide any web links or 'official' sample sentences, but I have other solid prove. "Seaworthiness" is not one of the most frequent words in any language, not to mention Slovak, language of the landlocked country; so to find any weblinks/sample sentences can be impossible.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-18 22:52 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:33
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I think the point is exactly the standardized form of input Aug 19, 2009

I think what the GBK is tying to accomplish is having Glossary entries that are well supported and similar to regular professional dictionaries in a sense that they provide usage samples, not only the source and the target words.
That said, I believe you can still post your suggestion, and submit it without links.
As far as I remember, there is something like "own research" or something.
As for sample sentences, you can create sample sentences on your own.
You apparently
... See more
I think what the GBK is tying to accomplish is having Glossary entries that are well supported and similar to regular professional dictionaries in a sense that they provide usage samples, not only the source and the target words.
That said, I believe you can still post your suggestion, and submit it without links.
You apparently invested some time into this already, it would be a waste not to contribute your findings. I don't think it would take more than a few minutes to submit it.
I hope this helps.
Katalin
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
I Agree Aug 19, 2009

Several times I have attempted to answer such questions but because the system is so complex, I have just passed them up.

My opinion is that the answerer, whoever that may be, has the burden of doing the research to confirm answers. Those of us who answer already know, or at least think we know the correct answer, and we give the asker something to work with. If the term is going into a glossary that pretends to be authoritative, then surely such research should be part of the proce
... See more
Several times I have attempted to answer such questions but because the system is so complex, I have just passed them up.

My opinion is that the answerer, whoever that may be, has the burden of doing the research to confirm answers. Those of us who answer already know, or at least think we know the correct answer, and we give the asker something to work with. If the term is going into a glossary that pretends to be authoritative, then surely such research should be part of the process anyway.

The system would probably work much better if it is simplified.
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Examples with and without links Aug 19, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

You apparently invested some time into this already, it would be a waste not to contribute your findings. I don't think it would take more than a few minutes to submit it.
I hope this helps.
Katalin

In the current implementation the definition can be entered as "own research", without providing links. However, a link is required for the example sentences, the idea being that of supporting the term with a real-life example.

This could be reconsidered if this happens to be an impediment for participation in some languages, but I think examples with links would be much better than sentences created by the answerer.

Maybe examples without links could be enabled after some time, to give priority to examples with links and yet avoid dead-ends when such links are hard to find.

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Regards,
Enrique

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:33
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the problem Aug 19, 2009

Enrique wrote:
In the current implementation the definition can be entered as "own research", without providing links. However, a link is required for the example sentences, the idea being that of supporting the term with a real-life example.

We have a correct term confirmed by the highest authority for Slovak language, but it can't be entered into glossary because there is no link to it on the web.
The link is really not there, there is no mention of this term on the web and that's why I contacted JÚĽŠ SAV.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:33
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Could you create a correct sample sentence though? Aug 20, 2009

Rad,
Could you create a correct Slovak sample sentence (or two) with that word, though?
If yes, could you write it here, in your reply?
If you have two sentences, please post them as two separate replies.
I know it sounds silly, but please, just play along for a second.

[Edited at 2009-08-20 02:22 GMT]

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Web links die off, how good a reference is that? Aug 20, 2009

Rad Graban wrote:

Enrique wrote:

We have a correct term confirmed by the highest authority for Slovak language, but it can't be entered into glossary because there is no link to it on the web.
The link is really not there, there is no mention of this term on the web and that's why I contacted JÚĽŠ SAV.

Besides, reference links would expire in couple of month or years and become useless as reference anyway.

I agree, the process is too cumbersome, I can't be bothered to take that much time, especially when in Spanish several of the terms have been common words that you could readily find in any dictionary.

OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
Local time: 16:33
English to Polish
+ ...
2 cents from the EN>PL mod+user Aug 21, 2009

Hi all,

Just a quick note. As a moderator of ENPL Kudoz, I have been recently contacted by a peer, who happens to be an experienced rocket scientist (I know if seems like playing on words, but his credentials say he is indeed a rocket/space scientist:-)). Frustration was expressed at the complexity of the current system, and the user was rather upset not to be able to enter a term, because the system was very 'strict/non-flexble', and required a link for a term he knew from his year
... See more
Hi all,

Just a quick note. As a moderator of ENPL Kudoz, I have been recently contacted by a peer, who happens to be an experienced rocket scientist (I know if seems like playing on words, but his credentials say he is indeed a rocket/space scientist:-)). Frustration was expressed at the complexity of the current system, and the user was rather upset not to be able to enter a term, because the system was very 'strict/non-flexble', and required a link for a term he knew from his years-long professional experience. He said that he felt discouraged and would stop contributing to GBK alltogether.

Conclusion - I was under an impression that adding an option like 'own professional experience' should solve the problem.

Best, G. Palka
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GBK - Complexity of the process of contributing (sample sentence, web link etc.)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »