What are the rates in EUR/min for translation with EN > FR script?
Thread poster: Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
France
Local time: 20:10
Member (2011)
English to French
Jan 11, 2022

Dear all,

I mostly work as a translator but I have worked on a few transcription and subtitling projects on different platforms, but I don't really know the rates for minutes for this type of work. I know it's a tricky question as it depends on a lot of things (experience and language pair mainly), but I don't really know what average rates to ask my client.

The project I might be working on would be on Media Workbench and the content type is Entertainment.

... See more
Dear all,

I mostly work as a translator but I have worked on a few transcription and subtitling projects on different platforms, but I don't really know the rates for minutes for this type of work. I know it's a tricky question as it depends on a lot of things (experience and language pair mainly), but I don't really know what average rates to ask my client.

The project I might be working on would be on Media Workbench and the content type is Entertainment.

What rates would you be asking for this type of project?

Many thanks!

Carole
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Depends Jan 11, 2022

Timing and script provided or do everything yourself?

Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
France
Member (2011)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Jan 11, 2022

I unfortunately don't have this information...

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
- Jan 11, 2022

Netflix’s Origination Rate Card system can be utilized to determine your subtitling rate. To save you some time, here’s a screenshot stating the rate in your language pair.

That’s roughly 10.5 EUR.
... See more
Netflix’s Origination Rate Card system can be utilized to determine your subtitling rate. To save you some time, here’s a screenshot stating the rate in your language pair.

That’s roughly 10.5 EUR.

The rate above is applied per video minute. Keep in mind that “origination” means translation, as explained in their Scope of Work section. And from what I understand, it’s the same for both subtitle creation and translation from a template already available (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). Regardless, you can use this rate as a guideline to set your own subtitling rate.

But…

Those rates are designed to be applied to their preferred partners in mind. As a freelance subtitle translator, obviously you’ll have to deduct them a little bit.

Let’s say one of these preferred partners are trying to recruit you for a project. Let’s say you have a chance to negotiate. How much the cut are you willing to give them? By calculating the amount you’ll receive in this imaginary scenario, you can get an idea about how much you should charge for doing subtitle translation jobs. After you've gotten a solid figure, you can use that rate as your default. You can even use the tables above as a bargaining chip if you wished, so those pesky $1 per video minute rates may cease to populate even further.

[rubs hands in anticipation]

HTH.

[Edited at 2022-01-11 15:30 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga

Bajram Djambazi
Bajram Djambazi
United States
Local time: 13:10
English to Albanian
+ ...
Hourly rate. Jan 11, 2022

When uncertain, I carefully look at how many hours of work, the project might consist of. Then, with my hourly rate, I figure out the rate for the project, as a whole.

There are times when I like to ask what their budget for the project is, first.

As Adieu stated, considering all of what exactly the client expects to be done, can help determine how much time it might take for completion. As, in my experience, often, they assume that we know all of the details.

[
... See more
When uncertain, I carefully look at how many hours of work, the project might consist of. Then, with my hourly rate, I figure out the rate for the project, as a whole.

There are times when I like to ask what their budget for the project is, first.

As Adieu stated, considering all of what exactly the client expects to be done, can help determine how much time it might take for completion. As, in my experience, often, they assume that we know all of the details.

[Edited at 2022-01-11 19:10 GMT]
Collapse

Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
France
Member (2011)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Novian Cahyadi! Jan 12, 2022

Dear Novian Cahyadi,

Many thanks for your greatly explained and funny answer. I found it very helpful.
And I totally agree about 'those pesky $1 per video minute rates'. I have the same problem with translation rates and agencies which expect experienced translators to work for 0.01 USD per word... A joke, really.

And price definitely determines quality.

[Translators/Subtitlers unite!]

Mr. Satan (X)

Carole Pinto
Carole Pinto
France
Member (2011)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to all Jan 12, 2022

And many thanks to all!

Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the rates in EUR/min for translation with EN > FR script?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »