Monika Flang
Monika Flang  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:48
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 15, 2018

Hello,

I have worked as a translator for over 8 years now and during this time have completed a lot of subtitling jobs but they were very specific (the publishing company-video production house had its own online tool for creating subtitles). However, I really like subtitling and feel I would like to start doing it as my main profession. Apart from my Diploma in Translation, I also graduated from Film Studies and have always had a passion for motion picture. Could you provide me wit
... See more
Hello,

I have worked as a translator for over 8 years now and during this time have completed a lot of subtitling jobs but they were very specific (the publishing company-video production house had its own online tool for creating subtitles). However, I really like subtitling and feel I would like to start doing it as my main profession. Apart from my Diploma in Translation, I also graduated from Film Studies and have always had a passion for motion picture. Could you provide me with some advice on how to start subtitling for film and TV?

I know there are experienced professionals out there already but everyone started somewhere and I would really appreciate some concrete information. I am based in Finland (EUR) and I do English-Polish, Polish-English and Finnish-English pairs.

Do I need special software to do subtitling jobs? I work with Trados and MS Office but will it be enough? How much should I charge for subtitling work? If there is a script, does my normal translation rate then apply?

Many thanks!
Collapse

OffMag
OffMag  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:48
German to French
+ ...
Software Jan 15, 2018

If you really want to become a professional in the field (a very hard field), I recommend software like EZTitles or Wincaps.

Luximar Arenas Petty
Luximar Arenas Petty  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
A long thread about it Jan 15, 2018

You could read this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner in the subtitling field - please advice

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »