Stepan Konev wrote:
Yolande Hivart wrote:
In the end I prefer post editing
So you don't accept MT as a translator's tool but you accept PEMT tasks? It sounds weird to me. I can paste MT myself. Why should I accept such tasks for a reduced rate that I could do myself? I don't.
MT is just a tool. Like all other tools, you have to know how to use it in a professional way. If you don't use a hummer correctly, most probably you will get hurt. The same applies to MT. If you can't use it, it will harm you for sure. Then why should I avoid using a helping tool provided that I know how to do it safely? I don't use MT when I am directly instructed by client to refrain from using it. And they can easily vet it. However, some clients do not care how I deliver the result and what tools. Some of them even asked me what MT I prefer (either Google or DeepL or else). Furthermore, there are still some translators who believe CAT tools have something to do with MT. This is called just a different level of proficiency and a different approach.
Your PC, mouse, keyboard, and monitor are all tools. You don't hide the fact that you use them, do you. To summarize the above: if you can use MT in a professional way, you benefit from using it to the benefit of your client too; if you cannot use MT in a professional way, clients do it for you and you accept PEMT tasks. That's it.
There is a basic difference.
This is a different set of clients.
The client that uses MT knows he will get a MT quality and does not request from me to make it like human translation. I do not get such an headache like TM. I had good and bad MT to correct, both were less trouble than work with bad TM.
The client that wants a human translation and pays full of it does not get MT.
It would be basic business suicide to use MT into a market that asks for a creative translation. You can take 10 years to build a reputation, it may takes you one MT to ruin what you have built so far - this is not incompetence but a market decision.
The worst case in my experience was when I was to fit into a text that was 98% per cent pretranslated and I had to find out where the machine had made a mistake. And was only paid for the remaining 2%.
However when I says I do not have memo Q, I do not take a translation that expressly asked for memo Q and ask around the forums how to pass a memo q translation to be processed in trados and make it look like it had been done into memo q.
To summarize the question, if you are happy about using MT then it is not an issue that trados marks it as MT and i do not see the problem being asked into this forum.
Just be honest about it and do not pretend to fish in other's ponds.