Heidi Sandberg
Heidi Sandberg
Spain
Local time: 17:37
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 22, 2007

Hi

I'm just about to proofread a job made in word. I have got an unclean file from the agency and the memory as a .ttx-file.

Can I do the proofreading on the unclean file, with the track changes function? Or should I clean it first? I should send both a clean and an unclean file to the agency.

Can I update the memory afterwards then, or should I update it while I'm proofreading?

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
For WordFast Oct 22, 2007

You haven't said what CAT you're using, but DON'T try and use track changes when running through a file in WordFast, as you'll make a right mess (Wordfast will also warn you not to do it). The only way of doing it is to have "revisions off" when you click between one segment and another, then click "track revisions" when you're actually in the segment. But it's very easy to forget to re-click on "revisions off" when clicking down to the next segment, and you'll then have to clean up the mess you... See more
You haven't said what CAT you're using, but DON'T try and use track changes when running through a file in WordFast, as you'll make a right mess (Wordfast will also warn you not to do it). The only way of doing it is to have "revisions off" when you click between one segment and another, then click "track revisions" when you're actually in the segment. But it's very easy to forget to re-click on "revisions off" when clicking down to the next segment, and you'll then have to clean up the mess you've made (possible but time consuming).

So if you're using WF, essentially my advice is to run it through WF OR track changes, but not both.

[Edited at 2007-10-22 14:33]
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Which CAT are you using? Oct 22, 2007

It depends on which CAT you're using. For example, with Wordfast I wouldn't be able to track changes while I'm working on the unclean file. Unless someone else has figured that out and can enlighten me here.

p.s. Marie-Helene, you beat me to the post by a split second!

[Edited at 2007-10-22 14:34]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TTX is not a memory file Oct 22, 2007

Heidi Sandberg wrote:
I'm just about to proofread a job made in word. I have got an unclean file from the agency and the memory as a .ttx-file.

The TTX file is a Trados TagEditor file, and it is not a memory file AFAIK. The fact that you got a TTX file tells me that the client might want you to do your proofreading in TagEditor.

You can also do the proofreading in MS Word using track changes on the uncleaned file, but whether that would be useful to your client depends on his degree of computer literacy (he may well break everything if he aint).

So... ask the client:
* Which file you should proofread
* Which program you should use (if any)

Heidi Sandberg
Heidi Sandberg
Spain
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use TRADOS Oct 22, 2007

Hi again!

Thanks a lot for responding in no time. I'm using TRADOS.

I got advice from another friend who said that I can create a memory in TRADOS and then import the ttx-file.

If I understood everything right I can make the changes in the unclean file and then create the memory, update it and finally clean the file?

Heidi Sandberg
Heidi Sandberg
Spain
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exportation of the memory Oct 22, 2007

By the way, the client wants a clean and an unclean file (with the comments) and an exportacion of the memory (?).

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:37
English to Spanish
TRADOS and track changes do not work, but there are ways to make the comments appear Oct 22, 2007

The ttx file is for you to create an empty memory and then Import that file, which you will then Export once you are done.

With regard to tracking the changes while proofreading an unclean TRADOS files, TRADOS cannot work with the track changes option on but there is a way to make the comments appear after the proofreading is done. My advice is to search the Web and Proz. There are recommendations available, and plenty, but cumbersome and complex, at least for me.

Thr
... See more
The ttx file is for you to create an empty memory and then Import that file, which you will then Export once you are done.

With regard to tracking the changes while proofreading an unclean TRADOS files, TRADOS cannot work with the track changes option on but there is a way to make the comments appear after the proofreading is done. My advice is to search the Web and Proz. There are recommendations available, and plenty, but cumbersome and complex, at least for me.

Three weeks ago I found myself in a similar situation and I convinced the agency to let me proofread the file (I had to proofread one file and produce two localizations) and return the resulting files to the translator for the update of the memory and a Compare of the files against the original unclean. So I created a memory, turned on the parameter to allow "multiple translations for the same segment", proofread and localized the files, and returned the files, still unclean, to the translator. My only purpose for keeping the Workbench open was to record the changes and have them available in case they repeated. Of course, I did not have to export the memory nor return it to the translator.

[Edited at 2007-10-22 17:23]

[Edited at 2007-10-22 17:36]
Collapse

Nick Golensky
Nick Golensky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:37
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
A similar problem Jun 27, 2008

I've got a similar problem. An agency gave me "en-ru.tmx" and "unclean.rtf" files for proofreading. They asked me to use the TM and run a change tracker on before I start working on the file.

I wonder what CAT I should use and what I have to do with these files.

andrea32145 (X)
andrea32145 (X)
English to Chinese
Clean it Jun 30, 2008

Clean it first. Or you will maybe lose something when you finish proofread and clean it later.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofread unclean file/update memory

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »