Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Off topic: I have an English guest coming soon, is there anything I should know?
Autor de la hebra: paula arturo
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 21:39
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Afternoon tea at five o'clock ... Jul 18, 2005

Forget the notion that normal English people drink afternoon tea at five o'clock. When I was studying in France, I constantly had people knocking on my door at five in the afternoon to see if I was having tea - they were studying English, but the other things they knew for certain was that the English drink tea at 5 on the dot and the "t" in "often" is never pronounced (?).

For a start, I am Irish not English, and - more to the point - I suspect English people drink tea whenever th
... See more
Forget the notion that normal English people drink afternoon tea at five o'clock. When I was studying in France, I constantly had people knocking on my door at five in the afternoon to see if I was having tea - they were studying English, but the other things they knew for certain was that the English drink tea at 5 on the dot and the "t" in "often" is never pronounced (?).

For a start, I am Irish not English, and - more to the point - I suspect English people drink tea whenever they damn well feel like it, just like I do ...
Collapse

Romina Minucci
Romina Minucci
Italia
inglés al italiano
+ ...
I agree with Alison Jul 18, 2005

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

The Brits are generally very polite and also very willing to find out about foreign cultures - that's probably one of the reasons your guest will be visiting.
Alison

I think your guest is just really curious to know your habits.
just be kind and let him know about your country and your customs, I think it's much more interesting than having tea every afternoon at 5 o'clock, don't you?

cheers
Romina

Marianela Melleda
Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:39
inglés al español
+ ...
have milk on hand Jul 18, 2005

I was in England many years ago and lived during one month with a family in Worcestershire (as part of an exchage program named The Experiment in International Living), and what surprised me a lot was that English people take their tea mixed with a little cold milk, so besides tea, you could have milk just in case.

I must say that I still exchange correspondence with my Enlgish friends, after more that 25 years, at least twice a year in the old style with letters sent through the po
... See more
I was in England many years ago and lived during one month with a family in Worcestershire (as part of an exchage program named The Experiment in International Living), and what surprised me a lot was that English people take their tea mixed with a little cold milk, so besides tea, you could have milk just in case.

I must say that I still exchange correspondence with my Enlgish friends, after more that 25 years, at least twice a year in the old style with letters sent through the post office.

Good luck with your visitor. I am sure you will enjoy his/her visit.

Marianela
Collapse

GingerR
GingerR  Identity Verified
inglés al polaco
+ ...
What's for tea? Jul 18, 2005

As I found out this question has nothing to do with tea.

It may be replaced with American "what's for dinner?" or at least anything close to "afternoon meal".

Good luck

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canadá
Miembro 2002
francés al inglés
+ ...

MODERADOR
Jolly old England Jul 18, 2005

I lived in England for two years whilst in my twenties and can say for certain that one trait unites these people: humour, and the ability to laugh at themselves.

I agree with everyone here, let them have an Argentinian holiday. They may miss their tea (really a late afternoon meal) but the tea you will serve them will be so different as to be disappointing. So just give them what you do best, Argentinian food and drink, and offer them an unforgettable holiday...
See more
I lived in England for two years whilst in my twenties and can say for certain that one trait unites these people: humour, and the ability to laugh at themselves.

I agree with everyone here, let them have an Argentinian holiday. They may miss their tea (really a late afternoon meal) but the tea you will serve them will be so different as to be disappointing. So just give them what you do best, Argentinian food and drink, and offer them an unforgettable holiday I'm kinda jealous actually

As for seeing humour in situations, there of course will be plenty of opportunities for that (I get you, Graciela!) And as for the word 'fanny', I had a droll time explaining the 'fanny pack' that men wore around here in the late eighties-early nineties I had no idea that a once-common girl's name here could have such an obscene meaning across the pond!

I'm sure everything will be fine. Probably your guests, rather than seeking Marmite for breakfast (available in Canadian supermarkets, BTW, in the 'imported foods' section) will be seeking to bring home the new treasures you have introduced to them during their stay.

Nancy
Collapse

paula arturo
paula arturo  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
español al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks soooo very much you guys! Jul 18, 2005

Hi everyone,
I must admit I had a great laugh reading through some of your stories. Thanks for all your wonderful advice and sharing all your lovely stories and experiences.
Sincerely,
Paula

Magdalena Reyes
Magdalena Reyes  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:39
inglés al español
+ ...
Just relax!! Jul 18, 2005

Well, i guess someone who is travelling across an ocean must be also open to see other things, different form the one he/she is used to....
I haven't been in England, unfortunately, but i have been to many others countries living... and as a guest there, i have always enjoyed learning about the things from the country such as foods, ways of living, transportation means, currency matters like how expensive or cheap is something compared to my country...
That's why i recommend you to r
... See more
Well, i guess someone who is travelling across an ocean must be also open to see other things, different form the one he/she is used to....
I haven't been in England, unfortunately, but i have been to many others countries living... and as a guest there, i have always enjoyed learning about the things from the country such as foods, ways of living, transportation means, currency matters like how expensive or cheap is something compared to my country...
That's why i recommend you to relax... just be spontaneous and say to your guest what he/she needs to know (maybe some rule inside the house) but I guess as latinamerican we are very kind to foreigners... After knowing she/he can or cannot do, he/she will feel free to visit and to know how to behave...
Just an opinion!! Good luck!!
Collapse

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Polonia
alemán al polaco
+ ...
milk, mint sauce and... christmas pudding :o) Jul 21, 2005

hi Paula,

I'm not sure my advice will be very credible. Yes, I do have an English boyfriend, the thing is I sometimes wonder if he's been living in Poland for too long to keep in touch with good old UK.

Anyway, milk, mint sauce and worcestershire sauce have to sit in the cupboard/ fridge, as well as vinegar (to sprinkle his chips on those rare occasions I actually make them). Then again, this applies to an Englishman LIVING abroad, not just visiting.

He had
... See more
hi Paula,

I'm not sure my advice will be very credible. Yes, I do have an English boyfriend, the thing is I sometimes wonder if he's been living in Poland for too long to keep in touch with good old UK.

Anyway, milk, mint sauce and worcestershire sauce have to sit in the cupboard/ fridge, as well as vinegar (to sprinkle his chips on those rare occasions I actually make them). Then again, this applies to an Englishman LIVING abroad, not just visiting.

He had also insisted on having Christmas pudding available. And we got some. And... it happily expired without being disturbed.

Depending on how long your guest will be staying, I can think of:

long term stay:
1. give them a chance to watch BBC/ similar every now and then,
2. let them access the Internet for news from home and listening to the radio,
3. before they leave home, make sure they redirect their Private Eye subscription to your address
4. anything else common sense tells you to do

short stay:
don't even bother with the above! Let them enjoy your company and get to know your country. From what I've experienced, they are quite easily adaptable.

Take care
and let us know how it went.
Regards,
Agnieszka

P.S.: I fully agree with Magdalena

[Edited at 2005-07-21 00:18]
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
alemán al italiano
+ ...
take it easy Jul 21, 2005

Magdalena Reyes wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Just offer your guest the best that Argentina can offer, and he won't be disappointed. And if a cross-cultural blunder occurs... well, try to laugh about it, just like a British man that told to an American woman he would *knock her up* the following morning

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:39
inglés al húngaro
+ ...
An expiring Xmas pud? Jul 22, 2005

[quote]tygru wrote:

"He had also insisted on having Christmas pudding available. And we got some. And... it happily expired without being disturbed."

I have never heard such a thing. The English Xmas pudding, just like the wedding cake, NEVER expires, you can leave it to your grandchildren. (Unless the mice have it first.)

Actually, if you microwave it, instead of boiling it for hours, and eat it straight away with brandy cream, it is fabulous. Just don't expect to be able to eat to much, otherwise you are the one who expires.

Sorry to change the subject (slightly).

Paula,
let your English friend discover and enjoy the differences.
In any case, you can feed him with Argentine steak any time.

The only main difference you have to bear in mind, that sometimes they are too polite to say no.

Cheers
Judith

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have an English guest coming soon, is there anything I should know?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »