Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')
Thread poster: Natalia Eklund
Ana Eaton
Ana Eaton  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
wow May 12, 2009

Ana Eaton wrote:

Ana Eaton wrote:

I do not know exactly what the cause is, but I give up. I cannot use this feature. For the last days every time I look up for a term it gives me thousands of results, most of them irrelevant to my needs.
Before, I used to use the "exact phrase" and only the Kudoz Open Glossary restricted answers to exact phrases, the rest (Glosspost, etc) gave a "reasonable" number of answers.
Now, if I "restrict", there are 0 answers. If I do not, I get thousands of answers.
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, undo changesssssssssssssssss

Now that I've read it, I sound rude and ungrateful. Shame on me.
Thank you Colin for your efforts and your understanding.
I also appreciate the efforts the entire staff makes.

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Please post examples May 12, 2009

Hi Anna,

Thanks for posting.

Can you please post one or more examples of a search that is getting too many results, and/or too little results? Thanks.

Best,
Colin

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
I find it nicer now! May 12, 2009

I like the it. Thanks, Colin!

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:56
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Great job once again, Colin! May 13, 2009

Thank you so much for keeping up the good work!

The only remaining improvement I can think of at the moment is LittleBalu's suggestion of including an "Advanced options always open" display option that can be saved along with the other settings. And while we're at it, the plus and minus signs on the left-hand side (next to "Advanced options") are not clickable (I'm using Firefox 3.0.10), unlike the term "Advanced options" itself. Could you also make these symbols clickable?
... See more
Thank you so much for keeping up the good work!

The only remaining improvement I can think of at the moment is LittleBalu's suggestion of including an "Advanced options always open" display option that can be saved along with the other settings. And while we're at it, the plus and minus signs on the left-hand side (next to "Advanced options") are not clickable (I'm using Firefox 3.0.10), unlike the term "Advanced options" itself. Could you also make these symbols clickable?

MTIA,
Steffen

[Edited at 2009-05-13 09:44 GMT]
Collapse

Luis Antonio de Larrauri
Luis Antonio de Larrauri  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great job May 13, 2009

Thank you Colin, it is a great job.

The look is nice once you get used to it.

I agree with the people who think "match exact word" should be an option, and I see you have kept it.

A *wild card would be a very good option, as one has pointed out.

One suggestion: When I get 5 results in one search, and I enter in the Kudoz question that originated one of the results, I would like to surf to the other 4 Kudoz questions from that Kudoz question, wi
... See more
Thank you Colin, it is a great job.

The look is nice once you get used to it.

I agree with the people who think "match exact word" should be an option, and I see you have kept it.

A *wild card would be a very good option, as one has pointed out.

One suggestion: When I get 5 results in one search, and I enter in the Kudoz question that originated one of the results, I would like to surf to the other 4 Kudoz questions from that Kudoz question, without having to return to the results page. Is that possible? Please, do it, it would be a nice option.

Actually, in the Kudoz question there is an option to surf to the previous or next Kudoz question that has been done that day, but I really don't see the point of that feature. Previous or next kudoz questions usually have nothing to do with the current question, and they can even be of another pair of languages. I think that option should be changed for the one I suggest.

Thank you again!
Collapse

Clifford Schisler
Clifford Schisler  Identity Verified
Paraguay
Local time: 21:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please Go BACK to the PREVIOUS FORM May 13, 2009

I just want to add that when things were really getting results for me there came this "improvement" and now I don't get PRACTICALLY ANY RESULTS AT ALL!

Therefore I would kindly request that you please revert to the previous form.

Thanks a lot!

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:56
English to German
checkboxes are re-instated May 13, 2009

Clifford Schisler wrote:

now I don't get PRACTICALLY ANY RESULTS AT ALL!

Hi Clifford

Have you tried to use the checkboxes Colin has re-instated, i. e. Match exact phrase and Whole words only (do not match fragments)? You find them by clicking Advanced Options. That should give you the same functionality as the previous version of this feature.

However, as Colin mentioned yesterday, if you want to use quotation marks you have to disable the Match exact phrase checkbox. Otherwise, it won't work.

HTH

Rebekka

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off-topic: poll about the use of the term search tool May 13, 2009

I just realized that, since Colin just posted today a poll about the use of the term search tool, it could be quite helpful ("enlightening"?), for him and for Proz.com, that all the people who have expressed (in this thread) agreement or disagreement about the changes Colin has implemented would at least take the time to comment something in the sa... See more
I just realized that, since Colin just posted today a poll about the use of the term search tool, it could be quite helpful ("enlightening"?), for him and for Proz.com, that all the people who have expressed (in this thread) agreement or disagreement about the changes Colin has implemented would at least take the time to comment something in the said poll:

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/134966-poll:_how_often_do_you_use_the_prozcom_term_search.html

(Maybe the poll should be kept for at least a couple days so that more people have time to participate in it.)

Just an idea.

Good evening,

Ivette
Collapse

Björn Houben
Björn Houben  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Overflow Opera 9.64 May 14, 2009

Hi Colin,

I'm getting overflowing text on the right-hand side in Opera, have a look:
http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=naamloosdgx.jpg
It disappears when I close my bookmarks, but then again, I never do that.

Also: please include an option to keep the advanced options visible.
Thanks.

[Edited at 2009-05-14 09:20 GMT]

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
seconding a couple of good suggestions May 14, 2009

Björn Houben wrote:

Also: please include an option to keep the advanced options visible.

Yes, please

Steffen Walter wrote:

Yes and yes, please.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Repetition of entries in personal glossaries May 14, 2009

I have just looked up "a cobrar" (Spanish to English) and all the results seem to be displayed correctly except in the personal glossaries section where they are repeated three times.

Thank you!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Advanced options May 14, 2009

Rebekka Gross wrote:

i. e. Match exact phrase and Whole words only (do not match fragments)? You find them by clicking Advanced Options. That should give you the same functionality as the previous version of this feature.

I'm not sure why "exact phrase" should be considered as an advanced option. Seems like a fairly basic feature of a search function to me.

Teresita Garcia Ruy Sanchez
Teresita Garcia Ruy Sanchez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also want to go back... May 14, 2009

to the previous way of searching. It was a lot more effective than it is now.

Pretty please???

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
Major problem! May 15, 2009

I'm surprised no one else has commented on this (or am I somehow missing something?) - but the results I am getting from the search now are far inferior to in the past. I often use Kudoz for inspiration and like to read through the various discussions - but at the moment I am getting personal glossary results only i.e. single words without seeing any discussion of the term.

For example, the word "betreuen/Betreuung" is sometimes difficult to translate from German to English. If I en
... See more
I'm surprised no one else has commented on this (or am I somehow missing something?) - but the results I am getting from the search now are far inferior to in the past. I often use Kudoz for inspiration and like to read through the various discussions - but at the moment I am getting personal glossary results only i.e. single words without seeing any discussion of the term.

For example, the word "betreuen/Betreuung" is sometimes difficult to translate from German to English. If I enter "betreu" in the term search I now get 58 personal glossary results but not a single discussion of the term.

Or another example: I know for a fact that I have looked up "setzen auf" for Ger->En before and that possible answers included "rely on / gear to" etc. Now, when I enter "setzen auf" (search for exact phrase) I only get one personal glossary result (= pick) and nothing else!

Is no-one else encountering this problem?

In addition, I keep using "search and save settings" - but the next time I search for a term all languages are displayed i.e. my settings are not being saved.

Help!!!
Collapse

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Check your advanced options May 15, 2009

Tansy wrote:
For example, the word "betreuen/Betreuung" is sometimes difficult to translate from German to English. If I enter "betreu" in the term search I now get 58 personal glossary results but not a single discussion of the term.

I get 96 Kudoz archive results. Make sure all the boxes are ticked beneath "advanced options"!

HTH,
Andrea

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »