Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:39
English to French
+ ...
Jan 1, 2003

Hi,

recently I posted about a Trados 5.5 Workbench problem, receiving help from Ralf Lemster, Lisa23, and Maria Asis.

The job was updating a previous edition of a printer user manual. The TM proposed to me tha 100% from previous translators ok. But did not propose fuzzy matches, and did not not re-propose my own translations.

This was quite a hassle, because I had to re-type things like \"Click on ok\" and in front of 12 000 wor
... See more

Hi,

recently I posted about a Trados 5.5 Workbench problem, receiving help from Ralf Lemster, Lisa23, and Maria Asis.

The job was updating a previous edition of a printer user manual. The TM proposed to me tha 100% from previous translators ok. But did not propose fuzzy matches, and did not not re-propose my own translations.

This was quite a hassle, because I had to re-type things like \"Click on ok\" and in front of 12 000 words typing I could not maintain my schedule for the 3 000 words typing of the analysis.

I made a new TM with multiple translations, but it did not help with the end of my last file. I don\'t give any assurance I made everything possible here.

Today it works with a new file, and consequently translation is a breeze -

The only difference I can see is that the former bif files systematically contained the source text in the second segments, whereas this file was almost not translated, and contained virtually no second segments.

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Now THAT's a different story... Jan 2, 2003

Quote:
The only difference I can see is that the former bif files systematically contained the source text in the second segments, whereas this file was almost not translated, and contained virtually no second segments.

I strongly believe the reason why you had to confirm every segment was the fact that the file had been \'pre-translated\', with the source segment inserted wherever there wasn\'t a match in the TM used for th... See more
Quote:

I strongly believe the reason why you had to confirm every segment was the fact that the file had been \'pre-translated\', with the source segment inserted wherever there wasn\'t a match in the TM used for this process. This procedure, of course, would only make sense if the translator working on that file did not have Workbench (is your client aware that you have the software?). Even with a 100% match, Workbench will never automatically accept anything if there\'s already something else in the target segment - this could be the better solution given the context, after all. (Bear in mind that the database doesn\'t \"know\" the meaning of a sentence.)

Solution: Work on files that have not been pre-translated; if necessary, obtain a source TM. ▲ Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mais c'est bien sur... Jan 2, 2003

Now I see the light. The TM was \"inhibited\" by the presence of filled second segments.

Yes, the client knew I would use Trados and even employed me for that purpose. So strange: why did they give me pretranslated bif files with filled second segments, since the only guideline was for me to reproduce without modifications the previous 100% matches ?

Typing \"Click on the Start button\" a hundred times...

Thank you Ralf, you are
... See more

Now I see the light. The TM was \"inhibited\" by the presence of filled second segments.

Yes, the client knew I would use Trados and even employed me for that purpose. So strange: why did they give me pretranslated bif files with filled second segments, since the only guideline was for me to reproduce without modifications the previous 100% matches ?

Thank you Ralf, you are always useful.
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:39
English to French
Pretranslation Jan 29, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-02 15:43, aherve wrote:

Yes, the client knew I would use Trados and even employed me for that purpose. So strange: why did they give me pretranslated bif files with filled second segments, since the only guideline was for me to reproduce without modifications the previous 100% matche... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-02 15:43, aherve wrote:

Thank you Ralf, you are always useful.

Just as a note, you should be able to set your TM to overwrite previous content. Can\'t remember where they put that option on Trados though. That way you can translate your document just as if the target was empty, while still using the same segmentation.

Clients sometimes pretranslate (for trados users) to enforce a specific segmentation. (Trados users may have different segmentation rules, resulting in a lower leverage and differences on the wordcount).

If well done, it may have a point. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS: Adams Family Workbench Mystery episode 2

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »