English source text is bad translation from another language - What should you do?
Thread poster: Zolboo Batbold
Zolboo Batbold
Zolboo Batbold  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:33
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 13, 2021

It has happened to me a couple of times to recieve source texts in English which were translated from another language (Korean, Chinese etc.), possibly machine-translated and post-edited. As a result, the texts contained wrong terms/collocations, awkward-sounding sentences...just overall bad. Is this common practice? A method to bypass other language pairs?
I'm considering not accepting such texts in the future. It's time-consuming to translate such texts. What is your opinion on this?

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
In my case... Nov 13, 2021

...I try my best to translate them. Thankfully I love linguistics, so I don't mind learning some vocabulary in languages I don't speak. It also gave me a bit of knowledge about those terminologies that bent my brain beyond recognition. Once, I had to juggle between English, Indonesian, Arabic, and Turkish (I was only asked to translate from English into Indonesian). If there's something I just couldn't grasp after I've used all my resources, I ask the PM or client for some guidance or clarificat... See more
...I try my best to translate them. Thankfully I love linguistics, so I don't mind learning some vocabulary in languages I don't speak. It also gave me a bit of knowledge about those terminologies that bent my brain beyond recognition. Once, I had to juggle between English, Indonesian, Arabic, and Turkish (I was only asked to translate from English into Indonesian). If there's something I just couldn't grasp after I've used all my resources, I ask the PM or client for some guidance or clarification. But hey, that's part of the job, right?

Is it a common practice? Well, for source texts which were already translated from a different language into English, feels like it. In my language pair, that is.

At least it's still better than a guest ordering Tom Yum without shrimp. Yes, that did happen in my previous job.

[Edited at 2021-11-13 10:02 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not uncommon Nov 13, 2021

Always reject bad texts, whatever their origin.

Using English as a lingua franca is often a necessity though.

My ex translates stuff into English for a well-known Swedish retailer, and it is her English that is then translated into god knows how many different languages (including American and Australian!).

The risk of a “Chinese whispers” effect is very real though.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Emanuele Vacca

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Refuse Nov 13, 2021

I can’t remember over the years how many times I had the situation you described, but I suppose it was just a couple of times. I always refuse, the reason being that I can’t translate what I can’t understand.

P.L.F. Persio
Zolboo Batbold
Jennifer Levey
Josephine Cassar
Philip Lees
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English source text is bad translation from another language - What should you do?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »