What is a standard finder's fee that I can offer to a person who promises to find me clients?
Thread poster: Talyb Samedov
Talyb Samedov
Talyb Samedov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2004

What is a standard finder's fee that I can offer to a person who promises to find me clients. I will be working direclty with the clients, and he expects a certain percentage of what I'll be paid.

Any comments are appreciated.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ten percent Apr 30, 2004

Talyb Samedov wrote:
What is a standard finder's fee that I can offer to a person who promises to find me clients.

In other industries, the figure 10% is common. No doubt you'll learn a lot by doing, but keep in mind:

* Does the finder get a fee for repeat business?
* If not, how do you define repeat business (eg. when a client sends more work than originally agreed up, or when a client sends a second batch of the same type of text, etc)?
* Make sure your finder don't promise the client things that you can't deliver.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:28
German to English
Be careful Apr 30, 2004

You need to work out exactly what will be compensated. This agent won't be doing you any favors by linking you up with translation agencies, since you'll already be working for less than what you'd make with a direct client. This individual may also promise the client things that you're incapable of producing in terms of output, expertise, etc.

You're really better off developing your own marketing program. You are in the best position to know what you can and cannot do. If you live
... See more
You need to work out exactly what will be compensated. This agent won't be doing you any favors by linking you up with translation agencies, since you'll already be working for less than what you'd make with a direct client. This individual may also promise the client things that you're incapable of producing in terms of output, expertise, etc.

You're really better off developing your own marketing program. You are in the best position to know what you can and cannot do. If you live in an urban area, find out if there is a local translators' association. I've also made useful contacts working with translation agencies. There have been numerous projects where I've worked together with other translators, and I've found out who is and isn't reliable. They've referred some of their overflow work to me and I've done the same for them. At no cost.
Hope this helps, Kevin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a standard finder's fee that I can offer to a person who promises to find me clients?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »