Help: Trados will not work with Table of Contents (Word 2007)
Thread poster: David Jessop
David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2009

Hello...

Trados does not seem to be able to work with the Table of Contents feature in Word 2007. It either returns a runtime error or simply will not allow me to Set the translation unit. I am specifically referring to Word´s TOC feature which operate as links to different sections of the document, not when manual indexes are created without this feature.

Is there a way to do this and I simply have not learned how?

Thanks!

David

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:12
Member (2003)
German to French
No need to translate a TOC Jun 6, 2009

Hi David,

As you point out, the TOC feature acts as a link to the different sections of the text. You should not try to translate a TOC for 2 main reasons :
- Trados will not work, as you could already see
- Once you have translated the document and the section titles, simply refresh the TOC with the Word TOC feature and, o miracle, all the titles will appear in the target language.

HTH,
... See more
Hi David,

As you point out, the TOC feature acts as a link to the different sections of the text. You should not try to translate a TOC for 2 main reasons :
- Trados will not work, as you could already see
- Once you have translated the document and the section titles, simply refresh the TOC with the Word TOC feature and, o miracle, all the titles will appear in the target language.

HTH,
Sylvain
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:12
Dutch to English
+ ...
How to refresh ... Jun 6, 2009

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Sylvain is correct, don't use Trados for the TOC.

Just in case you don't know how to 'refresh' the TOC -- this is done by right-clicking with your mouse within the TOC (at any place) and choosing from the option to update the entire index or just the page numbers. By updating the entire index, all the titles should -- in the absence of any formatting errors -- all appear in the target language once you've translated the document.

HTH
Debs

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:12
English to Russian
+ ...
+1 Jun 6, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:
... don't use Trados for the TOC.

and don't use TRADOS for any "fields" in Word documents. To avoid "fields", make them visible. To do so, go to Service - > Options menu and make "fields shading" as 'always' on View tab.

(I use Russian MS Word, so I can mismatch names of menu items).

[Редактировалось 2009-06-06 14:50 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Even more Jun 6, 2009

Rather use Tageditor than translate in Word with the Trados plugin. You avoid a lot of trouble.
Regards
Heinrich

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 6, 2009

Thank you very much my fellow translators! This is all very helpful.

Best wishes,
David

Mariana Rohlig Sa
Mariana Rohlig Sa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:12
English to German
+ ...
Table of content showing "paragraph not found" Jan 26, 2011

Dear all,

I had the same problem and am so happy to have found an efficient solution on this forum. You learn something every day...

Mariana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Trados will not work with Table of Contents (Word 2007)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »