HELP: Open a .tmx file in Trados Studio 2021
Thread poster: Emanuela Navone
Emanuela Navone
Emanuela Navone
Italy
French to Italian
Jul 11, 2023

Hi everyone,
I am taking a course to use Trados Studio and I am stuck at the point where it asks to open a MT in .tmx. As soon as the new project window opens and is asked whether to create a new translation memory or open one on the pc, I click on the latter option and the Window's window asks me to open the file.
On file type, according to the course, I should have, in addition to the standard .sdltm, other options, such as .tmx, but they do not appear to me.
How can I fix
... See more
Hi everyone,
I am taking a course to use Trados Studio and I am stuck at the point where it asks to open a MT in .tmx. As soon as the new project window opens and is asked whether to create a new translation memory or open one on the pc, I click on the latter option and the Window's window asks me to open the file.
On file type, according to the course, I should have, in addition to the standard .sdltm, other options, such as .tmx, but they do not appear to me.
How can I fix this?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:58
English to Russian
Trados is not designed to open TMs in tmx format directly Jul 11, 2023

You can only export an sdltm file into tmx or import tmx into an sdltm file. For this purpose, go to the Translation Memories view (lower left corner of the Trados UI), then click Open to open an existing TM or click New to create a blank TM. Once done, click Import to import a tmx file. Or click Export (not for blank TMs) to export your TM into a tmx file. There is no option to open a tmx.
One thing I can think of is opening a tmx file for translation. However you cannot do that out of th
... See more
You can only export an sdltm file into tmx or import tmx into an sdltm file. For this purpose, go to the Translation Memories view (lower left corner of the Trados UI), then click Open to open an existing TM or click New to create a blank TM. Once done, click Import to import a tmx file. Or click Export (not for blank TMs) to export your TM into a tmx file. There is no option to open a tmx.
One thing I can think of is opening a tmx file for translation. However you cannot do that out of the box. You need a plugin for that (this one: https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/61 ). But I doubt that your basic course may include a bit advanced exercise. If I am wrong, then download the plugin, install it, activate it in the File Types menu. Then you would be able to import a tmx file for translation (but not for using it as a TM).

UPDATE
Emanuela Navone wrote:
As soon as the new project window opens and is asked whether to create a new translation memory or open one on the pc, I click on the latter option and the Window's window asks me to open the file.
Several versions ago Trados was able to open tmx files for conversion into sdltm. There was a tmx extension along with sdltm in the New Project wizard. But it was removed I can't recall when... Is it possible that the course you take is so outdated? Many users complained about that "improvement" back then, and now RWS sells a course that old for money... Incredible! (Unless I misunderstand something.)

[Edited at 2023-07-11 21:19 GMT]
Collapse

Xanthippe
Charuta Kulkarni
expressisverbis

EirTranslations
EirTranslations  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 2019 freelance not letting me select the option to export a TM into tmx format Apr 2

I'm on the TM tab from the menu but while usually it would let me do this, it appears grey (not able to select it but lets me import a tmx file into it. I have been googling for hours and this is driving me insane, why is this happening, please can someone help? Many thanks

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:58
English to Russian
TM tab? Apr 6

What is "TM tab" exactly? Are you in the Translation Memories view or in Project Settings or in Options? If you are in Project Settings or Options, make sure that there is no check mark in the box on the left. If you are in the Translation Memories view, try to open the TM.

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP: Open a .tmx file in Trados Studio 2021

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »