Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How much does Trados cost, is it worth it?
Thread poster: Brian Joyce
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:54
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Yes, that was implied in my answer May 30, 2021

Natalie wrote:

Roy Oestensen wrote:
But absolutely useless? I am not so sure. Even a translator of fiction can be helped with the term database of a CAT tool - re. the Harry Potter series, for instance, where there are a lot of names both of persons and placed that are being translated. A term list will, therefore, be helpful for the translator. But if the help is sufficient to warrant the investment in a CAT tool is a totall different type of fish.

Hi Roy, I agree, of course. But it depends if you are translating a huge saga or short stories

That's also what I meant to imply in my answer. In some instances it will be helpful to be consistent in the saga, in other instances it won't help you much at all. Though there is something called predictive writing in CAT tools these days, which means you can save some key strokes because it tries to guess what you want to write.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
SDL Studio (Trados) 2021 is very unstable and not recommended May 30, 2021

See this thread about it:
https://www.proz.com/forum/trados_support/349018-studio_2021_keeps_on_crashing.html

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
This is not my experience May 30, 2021

That some users find it unstable, does not necessarily mean that every user does experience the same.

Jorge Payan

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Lucky you May 31, 2021

Roy Oestensen wrote:
That some users find it unstable, does not necessarily mean that every user does experience the same.

This is my experience and of many others. And no solution or response from SDL.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much does Trados cost, is it worth it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »