Laura Vinti
Laura Vinti  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:43
German to Italian
+ ...
Feb 10, 2005

Hello,

I saw a very similar posting regarding Russian characters, but I am not sure whether it would apply to my situation. I am also under the impression that the problem was not solved.

I work with Trados 6 Freelance and although I have just bought the 6.5 version, I still have not got around to install it - but will do soon (especially if this sort of problems don't show up in the newest version).

For some reason something that has never happened to me i
... See more
Hello,

I saw a very similar posting regarding Russian characters, but I am not sure whether it would apply to my situation. I am also under the impression that the problem was not solved.

I work with Trados 6 Freelance and although I have just bought the 6.5 version, I still have not got around to install it - but will do soon (especially if this sort of problems don't show up in the newest version).

For some reason something that has never happened to me is now occuring while I am trying to translate a document from German into Italian: all 'Umlaute' and accents are transformed into weird-looking symbols as soon as I close a segment. I thing they even change more than once.
It has already happened yesterday while I was working on another document but I assumed there was a bug in the source document. Can't think so any longer now that the same is going on again.
I have reformatted the whole document, changing the font into Times New Roman, I have made sure the source document language is set as German...

Had anyone to deal with something similar? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Laura
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If nothing helps Feb 10, 2005

and you allready changed the styles and so on, copy the text to a new document, make it plain (remove formatting), and then save it and process this. After you translated your text apply the machine translation to your source file. Any prior comments about formatting, fonts and so on apply to you as well as to Russian or Polish.
But if your italian text is kept ok, don't bother too much. Clean the document in Word - the german text in WB will be ok.

Regards
Jerzy

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Try Font Substitution Feb 11, 2005

Laura Vinti wrote:
I have reformatted the whole document, changing the font into Times New Roman, I have made sure the source document language is set as German...

Hello Laura,

It happens to me all the times with documents containing some unusual Mac fonts: changing fonts and/or language is not enough. I've tried to adjust the Trados settings for fonts but to no avail either.

Don't ask me why but the only thing that seems to work is substituting permanently the fonts missing in my system via Tools > Options > Compatibility > Font substitution in Word. Select a replacement font and check the Permanent conversion checkbox.

Also, not always Times New Roman as substitute font has worked (corruptions would still come up): I've found Arial and Verdana to be the most successful substitutions (again, I don't know why).

This has been the case on Word 97, 2000 and XP used in different combinations with Trados 3, 5 and 6.5.

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Special chars in German and in Italian corrupt after closing a segment

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »