How to stop Dragon from executing MS Word commands when dictating a text?
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2007

Words like replace, close, find, windows, save etc constantly cause probs because instead of just typing them, Dragon hears them as MS Word commands and things start to happen-today it even closed my doc. Is there a way to shut off this application so that Word commands have to be done by hand. I realise this could mean words like bold, italic etc may lose their function but it's better than having Dragon take over the rest.
How can this be shut off? (Can it be shut off??)
Thanks!
... See more
Words like replace, close, find, windows, save etc constantly cause probs because instead of just typing them, Dragon hears them as MS Word commands and things start to happen-today it even closed my doc. Is there a way to shut off this application so that Word commands have to be done by hand. I realise this could mean words like bold, italic etc may lose their function but it's better than having Dragon take over the rest.
How can this be shut off? (Can it be shut off??)
Thanks!

Forgot to mention that I have Dragon Speaking 9, preferred version and use Office 2003 with Windows XP.

[Edited at 2007-02-21 15:48]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
French to English
Speak quicker? Feb 21, 2007

I tend to find this happens if the words are interpreted by Dragon as appearing in isolation or with a slight emphasis. If you run them naturally into what occurs before and after, it happens less often.

Not much help if you're doing bullet point type instructions for IT applications, admittedly....

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
just the opposite problem here Feb 21, 2007

I wish I had some advice for you, but in my experience, what you describe has never happened...not even when I wanted it to. I've tried changing the settings under WORD to "command mode" but when I say "close" or "close this file" or "click close" they are all "heard" as being part of the dictation...

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:04
English to French
Didn't find any way to stop this behaviour either Feb 21, 2007

The best one is when you dictate "restart". And I do a lot of computer literature.
Oh, an idea:
Tools>Options>Commands tab:
You can fiddle around with the slider and tick the box « "Click" mandatory to select menu or control » or something of the sort.
I will try this, it may reduce the damage.
Hope it helps,
Philippe

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Same problem here Feb 21, 2007

The other day I was trying to dictate a legal document and there were so many references in it to other documents, and always, in brackets, "See foot of Page 5/top of Page 6", etc. This occurred in every other segment at least. And guess what? Every time I dictated these words, Dragon went to the bottom of Page 5, or the top of Page 6, etc. in my document! So I had to keep finding my place again, with the open TU, very frequently.

Sorry, have not found a cure yet.

Astri
... See more
The other day I was trying to dictate a legal document and there were so many references in it to other documents, and always, in brackets, "See foot of Page 5/top of Page 6", etc. This occurred in every other segment at least. And guess what? Every time I dictated these words, Dragon went to the bottom of Page 5, or the top of Page 6, etc. in my document! So I had to keep finding my place again, with the open TU, very frequently.

Sorry, have not found a cure yet.

Astrid
Collapse

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the warning Philippe!! Feb 21, 2007

Philippe Etienne wrote:

The best one is when you dictate "restart". And I do a lot of computer literature.

Philippe

I'm not sure what happened today. I said the word blind (as in Venetian blinds) (I think that was the word...) and all hell broke loose. Suddenly my mouse wouldn't work in Word at all (did in other applications). Word simply froze. So I closed Word (didn't crash because I could close it) and when I reopened Word, the mouse came back to life. Unfortunately I also said 'close' later on (as in close doors that had been left open) and that brought up the dialogue box to close Word and in the panic that ensued, it 'closed'.
Hope someone can help.

[Edited at 2007-02-22 08:44]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:04
English to French
+ ...
Tools > Options > Commands -> Uncheck the Intuitive commands checkbox (first one) Feb 22, 2007

That's it, although I am not sure the above is correct as I have a French interface for my Dragon at the moment. Simple as that!

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
I am afraid it doesn't solve everything Feb 22, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
That's it, although I am not sure the above is correct as I have a French interface for my Dragon at the moment. Simple as that!

Hi Viktoria,
I have always had this option unchecked, but it never prevented DNS8 from opening the File menu when I said File (in whatever application), the DNS Help file when I said Help, etc.

From my previous post, at least now I don't display the File menu whan saying File after I enabled the option « "Click blahblah... » in the Commands tab.

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What would happen if all words under Commands, Word 2003 were removed? Feb 22, 2007

After Philippe's post, I looked at the 'command' option (again) and saw that there are categories. One of them is Microsoft Word 2003. One can add and/or delete words. What would happen if one 'removes' the words causing problems? They would only be removed under the Word 2003 commands, wouldn't they? So that shouldn't have any effect on dictation. Or would it?
What do you think?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to stop Dragon from executing MS Word commands when dictating a text?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »