Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:16
English to German
+ ...
Dec 2, 2011

Hi everybody,

I received this one before, probably months ago. But again yesterday and today (through proz.com mail). They are uisng gmail!!!

First somebody contacts you saying they need a book translated;
when you ask for name, project specifics etc. you will get this answer with a file attached (this one is a bout home schooling, but it could be something else I suppose).
Here's the email exchange:

Subject Re: [ProZ.com mail] Tr
... See more
Hi everybody,

I received this one before, probably months ago. But again yesterday and today (through proz.com mail). They are uisng gmail!!!

First somebody contacts you saying they need a book translated;
when you ask for name, project specifics etc. you will get this answer with a file attached (this one is a bout home schooling, but it could be something else I suppose).
Here's the email exchange:

Subject Re: [ProZ.com mail] Translation Needed
Sender First Name Last Name
Recipient my professional email address (Bernhard Sulzer)
Date Today 04:15
To protect your privacy, remote images are blocked in this message. Display images Always show images from first name + a few letters @gmail.com

Hello Bernhard,
Thanks for your respond here is the document attach i want you to translate this book for me from English> German, am still making an arrangement with my client about the method of payment,am paying 50%up front and note that my client is paying by check the total word is 4.100 let me know the total cost an if you accept the payment mode kindly email me the details below.

Full name:
Full add:
City:
State:
Zip code:
Direct phone number

Regard
First Name

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM, my professional email address (Bernhard Sulzer) wrote:

Thank you for contacting me.

Please let me know who you are and the details of the project such as
topic and languages involved (English>German?!).
Information about my professional and educational background can be
found here:

my professional website address

Sincerely,

Bernhard Sulzer

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 14:32:32 +0000, first name + a few letters @gmail.com wrote:
> -----------
> You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
> Author: First Name[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or
> was not logged in when sending this message.]
> Author's IP address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. (seems to have to do wirh gmail server/Australia)
> Message type: Request for quote
> -----------
>
> Hello,
> I want you to help me translate a project book of mine
> please contact me via this my personal email first name + a few [email protected] for
> more information and
> the
> document.Hope to hear from you soon.apply with cv
>
> Thanks,
>
> Regards
>
Collapse

Carla Guerreiro
Carla Guerreiro  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:16
Member (2006)
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I received the same kind of messages Dec 2, 2011

Here they are:

To: [email protected]

I have a project of 10.600 words on home schooling am in need of a translator who can deliver within 2 weeks.
Email me estimate and process to achieve this. Let me know what language you are based on.email me

... See more
Here they are:

To: [email protected]

I have a project of 10.600 words on home schooling am in need of a translator who can deliver within 2 weeks.
Email me estimate and process to achieve this. Let me know what language you are based on.email me

and

To:

4200 words at first. Attached is the project. Payment shall be in 2x . First payment of 50%
and the balance of 50% on completion or a week to 2 weeks interval.
I await the total estimates and necessary details to making the payment.
My client has chosen check payment this has been method of payment from the past.
Email me your
Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone:

The details above shall be used to forward the payment to you.
Regards
Collapse

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Got the "project book" email... Dec 3, 2011

...about a month ago, asking for a translation into French. The document I received was so poor, I couldn't believe it was of any use. As I had something more urgent to deal with at the time, I even forgot to reply that I was not interested. And the sender didn't follow-up either...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:16
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I received the same offer Dec 3, 2011

I am wondering, though, why you replied to this one. The email address in my "offer" could be found on a dating site only.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Forgot: Here is the copy Dec 3, 2011

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Sharon [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 180.189.157.143
Message type: Request for quote
-----------

Hello,
I want you to help me translate a project book of mine
please contact me via this my personal email [email protected] for more information and... See more
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Sharon [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 180.189.157.143
Message type: Request for quote
-----------

Hello,
I want you to help me translate a project book of mine
please contact me via this my personal email [email protected] for more information and
the
document.Hope to hear from you soon.apply with cv

Thanks,

Regards
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:16
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The same here Dec 3, 2011

I also received this email a few months back, requesting a book project of some 9,850 words to be translated to German.

Aside from the gmail address, which is not necessarily a "synonym" for spam, I checked the name and found it unlisted anywhere accept on a dating site. Since I've deleted the email without having bothered to reply, I cannot paste it into this forum.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
if you are asking me. Nicole Dec 3, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I am wondering, though, why you replied to this one. The email address in my "offer" could be found on a dating site only.

I was curious what would be next. It was pretty clear from the beginning that it's a badly written scam - but I usually reply to see their next move. Sort of keeping myself up-to-date on the scam business.
Maybe there will be "better"-written but similar scams in the future.
My point is also that these things do come through the proz.com mail system.

Best,
Bernhard

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Good point. Dec 3, 2011

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

I was curious what would be next. It was pretty clear from the beginning that it's a badly written scam - but I usually reply to see their next move. Sort of keeping myself up-to-date on the scam business.
Maybe there will be "better"-written but similar scams in the future.
My point is also that these things do come through the proz.com mail system.

Best,
Bernhard

I was curious, too. I guess I should establish some special freebie email address for this purpose. I am just too hesitant to reply from my main address.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

scam warning (what is home schooling)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »