Thread poster: lysander canlas
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Got it too Aug 22, 2010

Strange that it was direct (not through my profile) as my email is not visible in the web.

However same text as above.

Nicoletta Natoli
Nicoletta Natoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Me too! I got it today! Aug 22, 2010

Francesco Toscano wrote:

Morning,
牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋 How are you doing today and can you take a translation job right now,here is the document attached with this email and let me know how much you charge per words.I want it translated from English to Italian but you should be able to finish in 4 weeks time and i hope to get a discount,awaits your mail soon.

Regards.

Kathy Morgan,
Fleming Road,
Liverpool
Merseyside,
L24 9LS,
UK.

Francesco Toscano
Francesco Toscano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
[email protected] per conto di Kathy Morgan ([email protected]) Aug 22, 2010

Sabrina Leone wrote:

Ciao Francesco ho ricevuto anche io la stessa mail.

Cosa vuol dire che è una truffa?

Just google "[email protected]".
You'll see what it comes up!

Sylvie Vetillard
Sylvie Vetillard  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to French
+ ...
me too! I got it today! at 12.32 Aug 22, 2010

Morning,
牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋牋 How are you doing today and can you take a translation job right now,here is the document attached with this email and let me know how much you charge per words.I want it translated from English to Italian but you should be able to finish in 4 weeks time and i hope to get a discount,awaits your mail soon.

Regards.

Kathy Morgan,
Fleming Road,
Liverpool
Merseyside,
L24 9LS,
UK.

moondance
moondance
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Scam Aug 22, 2010

Today I received this e-mail but I feel it's quite strange. I read that other people got it. Here it is:

Morning,
How are you doing today and can you take a translation job right now,here is the document attached with this email and let me know how much you charge per words.I want it translated from English to Italian but you should be able to finish in 4 weeks time and i hope to get a discount,awaits your mail soon.

What do you think about it? Thank you very muc
... See more
Today I received this e-mail but I feel it's quite strange. I read that other people got it. Here it is:

Morning,
How are you doing today and can you take a translation job right now,here is the document attached with this email and let me know how much you charge per words.I want it translated from English to Italian but you should be able to finish in 4 weeks time and i hope to get a discount,awaits your mail soon.

What do you think about it? Thank you very much for your information. Best regards. Valentina.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:48
English to Thai
+ ...
Test of your Internet proficiency Aug 22, 2010

I also got the e-mail. I understand that if you were mature enough in this cyber space, you can quickly judge for a scam. Too good to be true!

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Valentina Casorati
Valentina Casorati  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Idem Aug 22, 2010

Same thing guys. This is what I've got today.

Morning,

Regards.

Kathy Morgan,
Fleming Road,
L
... See more
Same thing guys. This is what I've got today.

Morning,

Regards.

Kathy Morgan,
Fleming Road,
Liverpool
Merseyside,
L24 9LS,
UK.
Collapse

Alessandra Maggiora
Alessandra Maggiora  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Me too!! Aug 22, 2010

Francesco Toscano wrote:

Morning,

Regards.

Kathy Morgan,
Fleming Road,
Liverpool
Merseyside,
L24 9LS,
UK.

Stessa mail, ma mi sono accorta che era una fregatura dopo aver mandato il preventivo! Novellina... Beh ma cosa possono fare? Basta non rispondere più no?

Sara Maghini
Sara Maghini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Got the same email today! Aug 22, 2010

Thank you for letting us know - it didn't seem right, and now I know it isn't!!
Grazie

[Edited at 2010-08-22 19:23 GMT]

Sara Maghini
Sara Maghini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:48
English to Italian
+ ...
CAUTION!! ATTENZIONE!! Aug 22, 2010

Sara Maghini wrote:

Thank you for letting us know - it didn't seem right, and now I know it isn't!!
Grazie

I also found this on Translation Directory:

"As I told you in my first email, I was a victim of a cashier's check or email scam from one of your outsources.
1. Outsource's name Faizat Ibraheem. Email [email protected]
2 I did not deliver the translation. He was supposed to send a deposit before starting the translation. There was not any complaint for quality work. He was not interested in the translation at all.
3. He sent a cashier's check exceeding the amount of the deposit. He wanted I deduct my fee, and return the rest of the money to him. A FRAUD!
Here is copy of his email:
Hello Rosa,
This is what i will like you to do as soon as possible,take the Check to your bank and have it cashed.. If your
bank requires a percentage to have the check cashed instantly,
you can have it done instantly. Deduct your money $700 for the translation and
have the rest funds $2300 sent via western union money transfer to the below info
BELOW IS THE INFORMATION YOU'RE SENDING THE REMAINDER
MONEY TO VIA WESTERN UNION...........
Name...............DANIEL COX
Addr...............32 MOLESWORTH ROAD
State/City.........COBHAM,SURREY
Zip Code..........KT76 1BA
Country...........UNITED KINGDOM.
After deducting the agreed amount,you will be
required to send the amount left via western union money
transfer to the shipper,minus western union charges .
4. Obviously, the outsourcer was not interested in any translation. What is he doing is a FRAUD!
Please, be advised of this. I do not want to get involved in any fraud and lost of time and money.
Sincerely,
Rosa Pugliese"

So, watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Me too Aug 22, 2010

I received the mail me too, but my address was in Carbon Copy.

Silvia

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Anch'io Aug 23, 2010

l'ho ricevuta anch'io, ma da tempo smetto di prestare attenzione a simili email. Si vede lontano un miglio che è uno scam.
Mi spiace solo se qualcuno ci casca. E poi mi fa un po' sorridere una cosa: come pensano di mandare a un traduttore, che lavora con le parole, una email scritta in modo così maldestro? Il mio gatto avrebbe fatto di meglio, qualunque sia la lingua che parla

Maria Elena Leta
Maria Elena Leta  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Me too Aug 23, 2010

I got the e-mail too and I have immediately checked on the web because it looks like a scam... and I have suddenly found the link to the Proz forum.

Nadia_Mari (X)
Nadia_Mari (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
SAME TYPE OF EMAIL FROM SAME ADDRESSER Aug 23, 2010

Dear colleagues,
I've just received an email from a self-proclaimed Kathy Morgan. Quite a strange mail, talking about money sought from organisations and big companies to help teenagers etc and willing to pay in advance through check and also immediately!!! I've never heard of a thing like this!! The only time it happened it turned out to be a fraud! I honestly think this is the same!! Here is the email. Please, advise. Thanks.

Thanks for your mail, am very happy to hear from
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I've just received an email from a self-proclaimed Kathy Morgan. Quite a strange mail, talking about money sought from organisations and big companies to help teenagers etc and willing to pay in advance through check and also immediately!!! I've never heard of a thing like this!! The only time it happened it turned out to be a fraud! I honestly think this is the same!! Here is the email. Please, advise. Thanks.

Thanks for your mail, am very happy to hear from you are taking the project and let me know the price.I want to let you to know that the money will be through check.I seek money from big organization and rich people that are willing to help teenagers so they are going to mail you the check and i just want to let you know before you proceed if you are okay with it,Am ready to pay you the down payment of 50%.
I share worry with young kids, teenagers, etc. Here in the US and rest if the world the HIV virus, AIDS and some other sexually transmitted diseases (via needles + drug uses + tattoo) are very predominant in the older population as well (i.e. 50 and 60 years old) I created a short film (very simple and funny) and placed on YouTube called Beauty and the Beast. At www.Youtube.com Search for Belavida09 there you can see this particular video.
Here it is a link for you to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNvEZIIQp7k
I tried to help some big organizations and make a real movie regarding this sort of problems, perhaps to show that the real world need to be more careful and caring. But here, money and greed drives everything capitalism is the key. Unfortunately it is a worldwide problem the mind set to resolve this issues in the US and overseas are set with very little funding.

Thanks for your anticipation and understanding,awaits your mail
soon.

Thanks,
Kathy.
Collapse

Rosella Zoccheddu
Rosella Zoccheddu  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
same e-mail here Aug 23, 2010

I've received this e-mail this morning, but not on my e-mail address, but on someone else's. This someone kindly called me on the phone and forwarded the text and attachment.
I wonder how that happened, since the addresee was my gmail.com address!

Rosella

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

feels and smells like a scam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »